Castro moves into the lead for the 5th starter

wildcard

For the long term, it makes sense to see if he can be a starter.  They will need another starter next year and it takes some pressure of Harvey (and Akin) getting rushed.  If they are trying to limit his innings, it makes sense to have him begin the season in the AAA rotation and then move to the Orioles bullpen for the end of the season.  Of course for that to work the guys in the bullpen have to keep it together for the first half of the season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

For the long term, it makes sense to see if he can be a starter.  They will need another starter next year and it takes some pressure of Harvey (and Akin) getting rushed.  If they are trying to limit his innings, it makes sense to have him begin the season in the AAA rotation and then move to the Orioles bullpen for the end of the season.  Of course for that to work the guys in the bullpen have to keep it together for the first half of the season.

Castro does not miss enough bats. They’d make a poor choice trying to make him fit as a starter, especially when he’s had a successful role in the BP.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Castro does not miss enough bats. They’d make a poor choice trying to make him fit as a starter, especially when he’s had a successful role in the BP.

He better start missing some more bats, or I don't think he can sustain success as a reliever either. Dude had a 4.94 FIP and 5.19 xFIP last year.

I think the difficult thing here is flexibility in the bullpen. The Orioles love to have an option-able guy or two in the pen. If we go with Wright, Cortes an Araujo in the final three spots (once Cortes is in the pen if he gets the nod for a start or two until Cobb is ready) you lose that flexibility as Brach, O'Day, Bleier and Givens seem to be locks (and Britton, too, once healthy, but that will likely resolve itself in a couple months).

Anyone know the status of Joely? Does he have any options remaining if he's put on the big league roster?

o

78% of the outs that Castro recorded (7 out of 9) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

9 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Groundout

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))) (vs. PHILLIES, 3/25) )))))) [Spring Training]

IP:l. 3

H:lll  1) ll(1 Single)

R:llll  0

BB:l. 0

SO:ll 6

Pitches: l) 39 )l(26 )lStrikes, )l13 )lBalls)

2018 ERA: l)  6.39  )  [Spring Training] )   12.67 IP (9 ER)

2018 WHIP: l)  1.579  )  [Spring Training] )   12.67 IP  (20 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .245  )  (12 for 49)  )  [Spring Training]  

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(10 lllStrikes, ll.51 llBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, ll.51 llBalls)

o

15 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

78% of the outs that Castro recorded (7 out of 9) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

9 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Groundout

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))) (vs. PHILLIES, 3/25) )))))) [Spring Training]

IP:l. 3

H:lll  1) ll(1 Single)

R:llll  0

BB:l. 0

SO:ll 6

Pitches: l) 39 )l(26 )lStrikes, )l13 )lBalls)

2018 ERA: l)  6.39  )  [Spring Training] )   12.67 IP (9 ER)

2018 WHIP: l)  1.579  )  [Spring Training] )   12.67 IP  (20 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .245  )  (12 for 49)  )  [Spring Training]  

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(10 lllStrikes, ll.51 llBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, ll.51 llBalls)

o

That was the best stuff I’ve seen all spring.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Would not surprise me they don’t even name the starter for that game in Houston until the last minute. My guess is Castro unless he is used before that game out of necessity. 

Castro is valuable as a middle relief guy. I think it’s going to come down to whoever is the freshest for that game. No matter who we run out there that day we will be huge underdogs. Don’t give away a game before then because you’re holding a guy back. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Castro is valuable as a middle relief guy. I think it’s going to come down to whoever is the freshest for that game. No matter who we run out there that day we will be huge underdogs. Don’t give away a game before then because you’re holding a guy back. 

I think they know who they want to start but will not officially name anyone just in case.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we get bombed that day can always option Castro after the game if needed. Either way can option him. If he goes 4/5 innings he will not be able to be used vs the Yankees the next series. 

They could call up a Yacabonis if they want. If Cobb is ready I expect something like this to happen.  

I bet they are cute with Castro this year like they were with Gausman.  

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If we get bombed that day can always option Castro after the game if needed. Either way can option him. If he goes 4/5 innings he will not be able to be used vs the Yankees the next series. 

They could call up a Yacabonis if they want. If Cobb is ready I expect something like this to happen.  

I bet they are cute with Castro this year like they were with Gausman.  

That’s a possibility. But then Castro is only available for OD and that’s it. Then not available for  10 days after getting sent down. That’s like the first 3 weeks of season without a nasty bullpen arm. I don’t think it’s worth it. 

I’d rather they call up someone for a spot start. Asher. Aquino.  Or Harvey. 

Archived