TT: Leaders Starting to emerge in roster battles

Tony-OH

My dark horse for making the team on opening day is Susac. The March/April schedule is brutal (Twins, Astros, Yankees, Red Sox), and I think Buck will want his combo of defense and MLB experience. I'd still expect to see Sisco and Wynns with the team at various stages of the season.

Assuming Sisco's defense is deemed adequate, he'll probably be sharing the catching job with Caleb in the second half of the season.

6 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I think the only thing that could throw a wrench into the machine will be if Ryan Flaherty opts out of his contract with the Phillies.  Flash has the versatility that managers love.

If he opts out, it will be a MiLB with an early parachute that he gets as an Oriole I think. 

Nice write up Tony.    Two points I would add.

1) The second half on ST games is more important than the first two weeks of games.   The O's will play against more major leaguer in the next two weeks.  Some player may not do as well against the stronger competition.  Thing can change.

2) Dan and Brady are probably talking to Cobb about joining the O's.   That could change things if they are successful.   That negotiation should be resolved in the next few days one way or another.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nice write up Tony.    Two points I would add.

1) The second half on ST games is more important than the first two weeks of games.   The O's will play against more major leaguer in the next two weeks.  Some player may not do as well against the stronger competition.  Thing can change.

2) Dan and Brady are probably talking to Cobb about joining the O's.   That could change things if they are successful.   That negotiation should be resolved in the next few days one way or another.

This is going to be very interesting to see what happens if Brady and DD go for Cobb

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Asher optioned.

Mountcastle and Stewart reassigned.

Bummer, I was hoping to see Mountcastle and Stewart this weekend when I’m down there.

Mountcastle looked good with the bat: .292/.320/.667 with two homers and three doubles in 25 PA.    We just need to find a spot where he can defend competently.

Stewart didn’t do much this spring (.211/.318/.211), but he did show his good plate discipline and was a tough out.    I hope he does well at Norfolk; that will make him a bona fide candidate for next year’s OF.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

This is going to be very interesting to see what happens if Brady and DD go for Cobb

It’s really up to Angelos. I can’t imagine why anyone would not want Cobb. His contract will be much lower than anyone imagined.  I said in another thread they are going to be right back in this spot next year. Tillman is FA, the number 5 starter this year is a prayer. 

One point about Valencia is they have to be committed to starting him day in day out vs LHP. It makes little sense to keep him unless he plays vs LHP. 

Buck will have to mix and match to rest players so he can start. I can’t see Davis sitting 50 games.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

One point about Valencia is they have to be committed to starting him day in day out vs LHP. It makes little sense to keep him unless he plays vs LHP. 

Buck will have to mix and match to rest players so he can start. I can’t see Davis sitting 50 games.  

Valencia can get a lot of those starts in right, 1st, and DH.  So it doesn't have to be Davis who sits for every lefty.

Archived