Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

1 hour ago, interloper said:

This person would have to know that the Phillies intend to cut him AND that the Orioles intend to pick him up. That feels like too much knowledge for me to give your source much credit. Is it likely? Sure. But I don't see how it's able to be confirmed at this moment. 

I think my friend knows someone connected with the O’s & players. He’s right more than he’s wrong by a good margin but he has been wrong before. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I think my friend knows someone connected with the O’s & players. He’s right more than he’s wrong by a good margin but he has been wrong before. 

So we're going off a source who gets his information from some unknown other source that we think has a connection to the team...

To me, that means we're getting our information a few rungs down the proverbial game of telephone. It seems as likely that wires are crossed and info is skewed or incomplete as it is that it's not. I believe there's conversations with the Orioles about Flaherty if he's released and I believe the O's would have interest to some level. I also believe that the Phillies would kick the tires, but it's interesting to me that the source seems convinced the Phillies are going to get Cobb when it's not even from an original source within the Philadelphia organization.

My take away: The O's would look at Flaherty if released (which is a distinct possibility) and the Phillies are likely at least talking to Cobb...that's about it.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Camden Depot believes the Orioles have $8M to work with for Cobb this year.  So frustrating.

What?!?!  Why would we have only 8 MIL left for this season?  Aren't we significantly under last season's payroll?  This is MADDENING!

4 minutes ago, riprulz8 said:

What?!?!  Why would we have only 8 MIL left for this season?  Aren't we significantly under last season's payroll?  This is MADDENING!

Attendance had declined three years in a row.

Looking at the trend it should dip back under 2M this year.

6 minutes ago, riprulz8 said:

I believe that last year was an exception.  I don't think that we can expect the total salary budget to be quite as high this year.  Having said that, I'm not sure how Camden Depot arrived at the 8 million dollar figure.

21 minutes ago, riprulz8 said:

Don't you get it? That's the O's going for it! ?

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/3/14/17118912/exploring-possible-reasons-why-milwaukee-brewers-have-not-signed-alex-cobb

Interesting article from Brewers fans.  Cobb wanted a $70 million deal at the beginning of the offseason and rejected 3/42.  I could see him holding out until someone offers him $50 million guaranteed to save face.  Don't see us doing that and probably not the Brew Crew either.  But another contender might if there's an injury.  

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Camden Depot believes the Orioles have $8M to work with for Cobb this year.  So frustrating.

It would be frustrating, if this guy actually had a basis for saying it.   But he doesn’t.   

25 minutes ago, riprulz8 said:

There isn’t a salary cap in baseball.  The Orioles can spend as much money as they want.  $8M is not going to land Cobb.

2 hours ago, riprulz8 said:

That's a lot of money -- it would get you a couple months of Chris Davis. 9_9

Saying there's about $8 million left to spend without explaining where that number comes from is just stupid. It may be correct, but how can a reader possbly tell?

Archived