Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

1 minute ago, utvolzac said:

I like Cobb, but I don’t understand the plan at all.

Say Cobb keeps us in contention for a wildcard, we’re really just going to let Manny walk?

Even with Cobb, I don’t see us as realistic contenders for a championship, maybe a wildcard. We still lack team speed and OPS to be consistent enough to win in the post season. Plus even after adding Cobb there are still a lot of question marks in the rotation, including Cobb’s ERA outside of Tampa.

Outside of Hays, I don’t see our prospects as being all that great. Most rankings I’ve seen has our farm system in the bottom 3rd.

Seems like this should have been a no brainer fire sale/rebuilding year with so much uncertainty to the core of our team. Yet we are committing big chunks of money to 3-4 years?

Hoping it all works out, but I’m seriously concerned about 2019 and beyond.

The plan is to make the team as good as possible for 2018 with the money available.

Next year the plan will be to make the team as good as possible for 2019 with the money available.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gausman is under team control through 2020.    Cashner is the one who might not be back that year (there’s an option that vests at 340 IP over the next 2 years and becomes a player option st 360 IP).

Thanks.   Even better.

9 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Eh -- they are still behind the Yanks and Sawx on paper.  But they just got a lot more competitive with them.  Perhaps within margin for error.  And if they still finish 3rd in the AL East, they're in better position for that 2nd Wild Card.

I expect, if they make it, that they will play that one game either in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium.  We all know anything can happen in one game.

Agreed.   Our team is much more competitive with Cobb.    Things break right and we actually could have an above average rotation.   We’ll see.

It's possibly one of the worst landing spots for Cobb, as Baltimore plays in a hitter-friendly park and has a team which appears unlikely to pad his win total. Still, it's miles better than remaining unsigned. It's unclear how quickly Cobb could be ready for game action after signing, though it's likely he'd miss at least a start or two. -- rotowire

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The plan is to make the team as good as possible for 2018 with the money available.

Next year the plan will be to make the team as good as possible for 2019 with the money available.

I can’t think of anything more disastrous then losing Manny for a comp pick, which is basically a crap shoot.

Thats like Glenn Davis level bad. 

I could understand the Cobb move if Manny was locked up. But with all our key guys leaving next year, I give us less than 10% chance of being good.

1 minute ago, utvolzac said:

I can’t think of anything more disastrous then losing Manny for a comp pick, which is basically a crap shoot.

I could understand the Cobb move if Manny was locked up. But with all our key guys leaving next year, I give us less than 10% chance of being good.

Not if you got 6.5 years of Manny Machado production...

15 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Eh -- they are still behind the Yanks and Sawx on paper.  But they just got a lot more competitive with them.  Perhaps within margin for error.  And if they still finish 3rd in the AL East, they're in better position for that 2nd Wild Card.

I expect, if they make it, that they will play that one game either in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium.  We all know anything can happen in one game.

I think our MoE may be higher than the average team considering the potential outcomes for some of our players (i.e. Chris Davis, Chris Tillman, etc.).

2 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

Not saying I agree with the plan.

It looks to me that a long term strategy isn't in place.  That every year the goal is going to be to cobble together a team that might have a shot at a WC.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’d disagree. Manny is a once in a generation talent. It’s inexcusable for management to put themselves in a situation where he walks for nothing.

That move sets the franchise back years.

33 minutes ago, weams said:

2014 Orioles won 96 games.  I would say on paper the 2018 team looks better.  Players get injured , players have career years who is to know what will happen. At least us getting into the playoffs doesn't look like total fantasy at this point.  

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

They crux of the entire conversation is how does this 2018 team pan out? If they miss the playoffs, their approach with Machado will be Glenn Davis level bad. 

A play in game, to me, is not the playoffs.

i just think it to be irresponsible to let a player of Machado’s talent walk for a pick, especially when you have 0% chance of signing him and you’re a fringe playoff contender going into the season. 

Just now, utvolzac said:

I’d disagree. Manny is a once in a generation talent. It’s inexcusable for management to put themselves in a situation where he walks for nothing.

That move sets the franchise back years.

Again, you get that production, so if you're calling it a "trade," it's not some theoretical package vs. comp pick, it's a comp pick and one year of production vs. said theoretical package.

Archived