Go Get Greg

interloper

13 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Who are you thinking? Feldman on a minor league deal? I'm up for some depth options, particularly if you can get them with later opt-out dates (June or July) to give you some time.

That said, I'm not opposed to Holland, but would be flabbergasted if it happened. Right now, we're going to have to lose guys the Front Office desperately wants to keep so it'll be hard to see them take one more spot.

Feldman would definitely work for me, and it looks like for several other posters as well.  I'm just not a big fan of spending premium FA dollars on relief pitching, especially RP's sporting a closer tag.  There's usually a more compelling use for the money elsewhere, and I think that's definitely the situation here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rene88 said:

We don’t need Holland IMO. Go get another SP on a mil deal! That’s what we need, SP insurance!

Would love that also. I imagine the Brewers will be beating down Feldman's door any minute now with the news that Miley has a groin tear.

If we were to sign Holland, since he was offered a QO, what pick would we have to give up?  We already gave up a 3rd round pick for Cobb, which I'm totally fine with, especially since we signed him for 4 years.  I think it was what, something like 91st overall or something like that?

I'm not sure I'd want to give Holland a 1 year deal and forfeit another draft pick, and at this age, I dunno if I'd be comfortable doing a multi-year deal, especially where his velocity is down to 93 or 94 since the TJ surgery.  If we didn't already have Brach, O'Day, and Givens, let alone Britton when he comes back, maybe I'd see more urgency in signing him, I dunno.

9 hours ago, interloper said:

1. The Orioles are apparently "going for it".

2. The Orioles have an injured closer.

3. At least 2, possibly 3 pitchers slated to be in the bullpen have never pitched and/or had success in the big leagues (Cortes, Araujo, Rodriguez/Scott).

4. There's room on the payroll, in theory.

5. The pick hurts, but I refer you back to #1.

6. AL experience.

7. If Britton comes back and isn't right, you still have Greg.

8. If Britton comes back and is right, you have an insane bullpen. 

Disagree on much of this.  Holland is older and probably not as good as you may think.  O's will have some flame throwers in AA and AAA this year, so if the guys you mention in #3 suck, there is likely solid backup available in-house.

Losing a pick for an overpriced, questionably reliable "closer" doesn't seem to be as good an investment as 4 years of a starting pitcher.

#8 would be compelling if we were likely to be in the postseason, but at 50-50 (maybe), I'd wait until the trade deadline(s) to try and make that move for the postseason.

Archived