Beckham injury

bird watcher

1 minute ago, bird watcher said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-tim-beckham-tweaks-groin-removed-as-precaution/

groin pulls are notorious for recurring.  Does this change the need for a UT infielder?  Que the yays and nays on Flaherty

They didn't call for a trainer when it happened so for now I will believe that it is a very minor issue.

Lack of depth in the infield and starting pitching could be the biggest issue this team has right now. If any of our infielders were to sustain an injury that would put them out of action for a month or more, we'd have to look outside the organization to replace him. As for starting pitching, there doesn't seem to be a #5 starter in place for the starts Cobb is going to miss while he builds up his arm.

Teams can't expect to contend with only 5 starters anymore. Young, optionable infielders and starting pitchers who can fill in for a time at the big league level and then go back to Norfolk are players the O's need to acquire now. I have no idea whom they should target or what they need to do to get them, but they need them.

46 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Lack of depth in the infield and starting pitching could be the biggest issue this team has right now. If any of our infielders were to sustain an injury that would put them out of action for a month or more, we'd have to look outside the organization to replace him. As for starting pitching, there doesn't seem to be a #5 starter in place for the starts Cobb is going to miss while he builds up his arm.

Teams can't expect to contend with only 5 starters anymore. Young, optionable infielders and starting pitchers who can fill in for a time at the big league level and then go back to Norfolk are players the O's need to acquire now. I have no idea whom they should target or what they need to do to get them, but they need them.

I think those types of fill-ins move the needle only very slightly. None of them hit sustainably over a longer sample size. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Teams can't expect to contend with only 5 starters anymore.

When was the last time that was true?  Using "Yankees" as a proxy for "contending" they've never had a season where they just used five starters (min 2 starts each), not even in the deadball era.  Actually, their record for fewest starter with two or more starts in a season six, in 2003.  The '63 and '22 Yanks used six starters (no qualifiers) all year.

There are 15 teams, all from the 1870s, who used one starter all year.
The last team to use just two was the St. Paul team from the Union Association in '84.
The last with just three were the 1886 Giants and White Sox.
Four was the 1892 Giants.
Five was the 2003 Mariners, then the '66 Dodgers.
Six was the 2013 Tigers.

The 1915 A's were one of those Connie Mack teams where he sold off all the pieces before the season because he didn't think he could pay his bills.  They went 43-109, and used 24 starters.  That's a brand new starter once every week.

24 minutes ago, oriole said:

Isn't this why Valencia is around?

It sounds good in theory but what if he is needed at 3rd for a month?  Who would be on the bench to come in at SS in that situation if Machado tweaks something?  I understand it is hypothetical at this point.  Hopefully Beckham is fine. 

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah color me skeptical as well. Already felt it twice? Ehhh...

Of course he hit a home run and made that nice play in the 2nd with it, so I'm guessing it's not affecting him now and he wants to make sure it doesn't get worse. To me that's the definition of a tweak. 

Archived