Some guy on ESPNEWS is ripping Erik Bedard

Marcus

He's been a disaster for Seattle. I'm glad we dumped him. Regardless of his strikeout totals he just didn't have the IP's to have great value. Even if you have all the other pieces to get into the playoffs, he's still got to be healthy. Sherill has helped us win 23 of our 36 games this year. The best starters only help you win 20% of the time. Having 3 gamers and a solid bullpen is the new gold standard for a contender.

Whatever he said about Bedard I'm sure I'd agree with it. I really can stand Bedard.

Vidro sucks, Sexson sucks, Weaver sucked,etc

But I never hated them. I hate Bedard.

I'm just happy the M's are finally going to do things right(fingers crossed). The M's rotation for the future is really already in the system/will(Strasburg), just need to find the bats. Have one in Clement.

A rotation of Felix/Strasburg/Aumont as the top 3 is insane.

Whatever he said about Bedard I'm sure I'd agree with it. I really can stand Bedard.

Vidro sucks, Sexson sucks, Weaver sucked,etc

But I never hated them. I hate Bedard.

I'm just happy the M's are finally going to do things right(fingers crossed). The M's rotation for the future is really already in the system/will(Strasburg), just need to find the bats. Have one in Clement.

A rotation of Felix/Strasburg/Aumont as the top 3 is insane.

That's a pretty huge and silly assumption to make at this point.

Why is it silly?

It's incredibly silly.

Aumont is 19 and pitching in the Midwest league. Even under ideal circumstances the guy's a few years from the bigleagues.

However ideal circumstances rarely develop. There's all kinds of time for the guy to blow out his elbow, mysteriously lose his command, not be very effective at getting more advanced hitters out, or any of the myriad other causes of high-round pitching prospects stalling out in the minors. TNSTAAPP.

And Strasburg? I assume you're referring to the SDSU guy who's not even in the M's system, right?

Yes. Silly indeed.

I heard Dave Johnson last nihght talk about Bedard. He said and I quote, "I wouldn't have cared if he was traded for a bag of balls, as long as he was out of here."

He basically said the guy was bad for the team with his attitude and that it was obvious that with the things coming out of Seattle about him that it wasn't just the press here in Baltimore.

I heard Dave Johnson last nihght talk about Bedard. He said and I quote, "I wouldn't have cared if he was traded for a bag of balls, as long as he was out of here."

He basically said the guy was bad for the team with his attitude and that it was obvious that with the things coming out of Seattle about him that it wasn't just the press here in Baltimore.

Hmmm. While I do enjoy Dave Johnson, homer that he is, I've gotten the impression that he just didn't care for Bedard. Even when he was here, when he was gassed and said so in a start, Johnson jumped all over him. He went on and on about how you have to go deeper (which is a best case scenario that simply doesn't work with all pitchers). For example, with the bullpen we have now, Bedard could be a 15+ game winner.

Also, let's not forget that Bedard only spoke French til, what - 16? 17? I think he gets a bad rap. I never thought he was a true #1, but I vote firmly on the side of taking him back and letting him pitch and leaving him the hell alone.

Johnson's definitely got an agenda against Bedard.

And how much close contact with the team does Johnson have that he'd be privy to that type of information? I was under the impression that he basically was just WNST's post-game analyst to Tom Daviss' host. I'm sure he's got a bit more closer contact than most of us, but I wasn't under the impression he was particularly in the know in regards to the mindsets of the guys in the locker room.

Its one thing to criticize Bedard's performance or toughness or whatever. Theres evidence there to base opinions off of. But everything I've ever seen printed or spoken by/about his teammates was that he was a good teammate, just not good at all with the press.

Archived