2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

o

9 OUTS: ) 3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

DENNIMICHAEWRIGHT, JR. )))))))) (vs. RANGERS, 7/15)

IP:llll3 ) *

H:llll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:llll 1

BB:lll0

SO:ll3

Pitches: )l 64(43 )Strikes, )21 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.85  )  52.00 IP  (28 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.692  )  52.00 IP  (88 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .313 )  (65 for 208)

* )) Wright entered the game with a runner on 1st Base with 1 Out, in the 4th inning.

PITCHES BY INNING

91 ll(51 lllStrikes, ll4 llllBalls) ) **

17 lll(12 lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

24 lll(16 lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

14 lll(10 lllStrikes, ll4 llllBalls) ) ***

*** lllll Wright recorded 2 outs upon entering the game in the 4th inning.

*** lllll Wright recorded 1 out before departing the game in the 7th inning.

o

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's good at all.

I agree, but at this point, who cares.  Let it roll into next season.  95% chance he's a bum, but maybe 5% chance he excels and we trade him as a controllable reliever at next year's deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(LAST 9 GAMES)

17 lllllllllll Innings Pitched

3 lllllllllllll Runs

18 lllllllllll Hits

2   llllllllllll Walks ) 

15 lllllllllll Strikeout

296 llllllllll Pitches  )l(192 )Strikes, )5104 )Balls

ERA:llllllllllllll 1.59  )  17.00 IP  (3 ER)

WHIP: llllllllll 1.176  )  17.00 IP  (20 H/BB)

OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: lll .277  )  (18 for 65)

o

On 7/10/2018 at 12:01 PM, esmd said:

Let Wright keep pitching, maybe he can actually become a dependable member of the pen.  They'll need it next year (and hopefully the remainder of this year) with Britton and Brach gone.

One of the advantages of being the worst team in baseball is that the O's can be incredibly patient with Wright.

I am still a Mike Wright fan, and he is actually coming through for me. I would much rather see Mike Wright come in now than Brad Brach. In fact I feel real good about Mike Wright taking that Brad Brach set up roll next year.

4 minutes ago, theobird said:

I would much rather see Mike Wright come in now than Brad Brach.

I would too. That isn't exactly an endorsement of Wright, but moreso just an indictment of how bad Brad Brach has been.

I still don't trust Wright.  Too high strung to be a closer or setup guy, and as many have mentioned, his peripheral stats seem to indicate that he's pitching over his head.  We'll see if it lasts.  I'm fine with running him out there for the remainder of the year in the 8th/9th to see how he responds, but IMO he's best suited for a middle innings role. 

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

Sorry guys, 

mike wright is a keeper

I still don't trust him, but this extended stretch is nice to see.

Helped his cause last night by having that idiot Tampa player try to advance from 2nd to 3rd on a grounder hit to Beckham at SS.

I agree with @clapdiddy I'd like to see him step in for more high leverage situations.  Save situations aren't aplenty around here but I'd like to see him try to close out some games.

Brady haters should be bittersweet about this.  IIRC, Wright was one of Brady's guys, it was complained about earlier in the year that the only reason that Wright was on the Orioles is because he's one of Brady's projects.

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Brady haters should be bittersweet about this.  IIRC, Wright was one of Brady's guys, it was complained about earlier in the year that the only reason that Wright was on the Orioles is because he's one of Brady's projects.

You are right, Brady has been a big Wright booster.    I can’t say if that kept Wright on the team, but he certainly said he believed in Wright.

I’m happy he’s pitched reasonably well the last couple of months.   Perhaps he’s not too old to learn how to survive in the majors.   

Archived