2018 MLB Draft Discussion

Luke-OH

16 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

BA projects us drafting Winn at #11. Tell me why I should be excited? Casas looks real interesting but I see he could be a reach.

Casas has a great hit/power combo, but I agree with Jammer, there will be better options available at 37 I think.

As for Winn, he's an advanced HS arm, he has the best present combination of arsenal + command in the class IMO. He doesn't have the projectablity of a Carter Stewart, Matthew Liberatore, Ethan Hankins though.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I see he plays 3B too. He must have some athleticism or is he another Panda?

I saw him many times over the years on the travel ball circuit. He had slimmed down a good bit this past summer and was still a large human. At best, maybe a Nick Johnson type guy if he really stays after his body. At worst, well you know, a DH only. He does play some 3B, but no way he belongs there at the next level.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Interesting that BA has him going in first round to Yankees.

Ok, great. I hope they take him. They sign many prospects in the international market. They have tremendous depth. We do not have those luxuries and can not afford to miss. They can gamble more than we can, just something to keep in mind. 

That said, it’s a mock draft. It means nothing about what their plans may be late in the first round. 

On 4/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, Luke-OH said:

I’m going to try to have some draft-related content out for you all in the next week or two.

So I figured it’s a good time to start up some draft discussion.

Who do you all like?

Targets at 11?

Targets at 37?

Later round or under the radar names?

What do you think about Kody Clemens?  Watching some of his games at Texas, the kid can mash and hit an absolute bomb in the Regionals yesterday.  He put up ridiculous numbers for a 2B in a pretty good conference.  I guess the big question is can he stick at 2B?  Watching the Regionals this weekend, I've been looking hard for infielders who can actually stick at their positions...

7 minutes ago, Otter said:

What do you think about Kody Clemens?  Watching some of his games at Texas, the kid can mash and hit an absolute bomb in the Regionals yesterday.  He put up ridiculous numbers for a 2B in a pretty good conference.  I guess the big question is can he stick at 2B?  Watching the Regionals this weekend, I've been looking hard for infielders who can actually stick at their positions...

I hadn't watched him as much as I should have, uses his lower half well, good bat speed. Might have some length to the swing that pro pitchers will take advantage of. Question of whether the power is as real with wood. Can't speak of his defensive prowess. 

Anyone else miss this transaction?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-padres-paid-a-bunch-for-a-draft-pick/

Padres get:

• 74th pick in 2018 draft and $812,200 in bonus pool money that goes with it.

Twins get:

Dan traded a pair of comp B picks and I don't think he got 7.25M combined.

Almost makes me wonder if they could have packaged Trumbo with the Comp A pick.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone else miss this transaction?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-padres-paid-a-bunch-for-a-draft-pick/

Padres get:

• 74th pick in 2018 draft and $812,200 in bonus pool money that goes with it.

Twins get:

Dan traded a pair of comp B picks and I don't think he got 7.25M combined.

Almost makes me wonder if they could have packaged Trumbo with the Comp A pick.

Sure. But for what reason at this point?

CBS Sports latest mock draft that just came out today, and it has us taking Winn.  Personally, I'm not real excited about Winn.  To take a HS RHP at 11, I would like to see more upside.  Plus, HS pitchers are the riskiest demographic and I don't have much confidence in the O's ability to develop HS pitchers.  Interestingly enough, Gilbert is taken with the next pick.  Like Luke, I'd prefer Gilbert over Winn.

11. Baltimore Orioles: RHP Cole Winn, Orange Lutheran HS (California)

With both Stewart and Liberatore off the board here, the Orioles move on to take Winn, third on their prep pitcher board. They've been in on all the top high school pitchers after being connected to college arms previously. The O's haven't had much success developing pitchers lately but they keep trying, and they keep drafting kids with considerable upside. Winn fits.

Previous Mock Selection: LHP Shane McClanahan, South Florida

From all the different things I have read, I would be happy with Gilbert, Winn, or Weathers. Winn and Weather's aren't as high upside as Stewart or Libertore, but seem to already have a better understanding of how to pitch as opposed to just being throwers.

If Liberatore or Winn aren't available at 1-11 I'd love to see the O's take Kelenic or perhaps Parker Meadows (Austin Meadows younger brother). Maybe they could save some money taking Kelenic or Meadows to make a run at the best athlete and potentially top talent in the draft at 1-37 in Kyler Murray. Murray will be a tough sign and overslot but I think that's exactly what the Orioles need to do here. Hopefully our draft team has talked to his people to see what it would take to sign him. Yes, he will be the Oklahoma Sooners starting QB this season, but his future definitely is in baseball.

Not sure there is a bad choice to be made at 11 unless we really reach.  Nothing wrong with Winn, IMO.  Nice upside rhp.  It would be nice to leave the draft with one of the better HS bats - Kelenic, Schnell, etc.  I was also enjoying the information available on Casas, but will defer to Jammer's negative vibe.  

I think we are looking at drafting inside the top 3 for at least the next two years when we could be in line for top quality college arms so maybe a HSer taken here might arrive in the majors around the same time or a little after.  This is a big draft for us.  

Archived