Paging Manny Machado: Corey Seager out for the year with TJ surgery

Frobby

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Had plenty of offers during the off-season and ownership still wanted too high a return.

Stingy offseason all around baseball from the buyer's side.  It remains to be seen whether the Orioles demands, whatever they actually were, were misguided.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I asked in the other thread, how much room do they have to add payroll and stay out the salary tax?

According to this site, the Dodgers have an opening day payroll of $177 million. https://www.truebluela.com/2018/3/29/17150586/dodgers-opening-day-payroll-luxury-tax

The luxury tax threshold is $197 million and Manny is making $16 million this year. So the luxury tax shouldn't be a factor in a potential Machado trade to the Dodgers 

So we should have taken a low offer talent wise just to say hey we made a deal.  If the deal is not what you want you pass on it.  The Reds with Chapman took a low ball offer which apparently was the best offer.  They got Eric Jugilo who is now 26 in AA,  Caleb Cotham who is now out of baseball,  Rookie Davis who has an 8 era in the few major league innings, and Tony Ronda who has few at bats in majors and hit .183.  The Yankees took Chapman and turned him into Torres now one of best prospects in the game.  Billy McKinney another former top prospect, Adam Warren a nice major league pitcher in the bullpen.    I bet the Reds are glad they took that low offer.

I think part of the problem is that the Orioles have been unwilling to put together a demand for their valuable veteran players. Instead, they have (or claim that they have) "entertained offers."

In the last few years, the Orioles' owner has not deemed any of those offers attractive enough to trade an established MLB player with significant current value. From everything I've read about Peter Angelos, he seems to be afflicted with the problem (and I've seen it in other decision-makers) of never believing that the other side's offer is its best offer. That is, if the Dodgers offer a package of A, B and C for Manny, that can't be their best offer -- you must be able to get more if you just hold out a little longer -- and it's difficult to be sure when to say "Done deal." A decision-maker like that needs to be told by others in the organization whom he trusts (for Angelos, presumably his sons or Brady or maybe Buck, but ultimately maybe nobody) what a great deal it is.

Since the Dodgers appear to have other options, I'm guessing they will not be willing to give up enough to get the Orioles to "Yes." I hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

If they can't give us a prospect short stop or third baseman they have to give us someone who can play one of those positions at a decent level.   As they had a major injury seems like they can't do either.  This isn't a charity.   If you don't have the players you don't get Manny 

Why do we need someone at those positions?  You think we are going to trade Manny and win this year?   Stick Sardinas or Vielma or whoever at short.   If they give us Walker Beuhler and another really good prospect at any position, DO IT.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

They have to give us top prospect plus someone to fill Manny's spot.   You can't go without a Short Stop the rat of the season. 

Why?   Because it might mean we win 55 games instead of 63?   Oh the humanity.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They definitely have the prospects.

Give me Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon.

This is the kind of haul I’d want. Diversified prospects at multiple positions of need. 

With a team like the dodgers we don’t have to wait for a bidding war. They have the system to just make that a moot point. 

We could always take on a contract or send some cash to get a better return. 

In my opinion, the Orioles are the worst run organization in Major League Baseball.  Yes, though fatally flawed, they have had some good teams in recent seasons but the dysfunction and lack of direction is terribly frustrating.  We have been oblivious to, and/or grossly incapable of, rebuilding, something desperately needed since the mid point of 2015, almost three years ago.  This current situation involving the Dodgers is a gift from the baseball Gods.  A team with deep financial pockets, several good prospects, supposed strong interest in Machado, who's in contention, in the National League, has lost a very good SS early in the season.  If the Orioles fail to work out a talent swap, with the Angelos sons and Brady Anderson (the future GM) now running the show, there is little reason to hope things will get better anytime soon, if ever.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's always us. 

When everyone you encounter daily is an a-hole, it means you're the a-hole.

The Orioles have been given a gift here and they need to take advantage.  (This assume the Dodgers have a gernuine interest in Manny.)  Hopefully the Orioles will accept a quality package and not get hung up on starting pitchers, etc.  

o

Since division play began in 1969, the Dodgers are in their worst position in terms of games behind the division leader upon the completion of the month of April ........ that covers 50 seasons.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

The boys from southern California are 8 full games behind the DiamondBacks ........ their previous worsts were in 1979 and 1993, when they were 6.5 games behind the Astros (1979) and the Astros and the Giants (1993.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1979-schedule-scores.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1993-schedule-scores.shtml

https://twitter.com/truebluela/status/990803614565203973

o

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Since division play began in 1969, the Dodgers are in their worst position in terms of games behind the division leader upon the completion of the month of April ........ that covers 50 seasons.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

The boys from southern California are 8 full games behind the DiamondBacks ........ their previous worsts were in 1979 and 1993, when they were 6.5 games behind the Astros (1979) and the Astros and the Giants (1993.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1979-schedule-scores.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1993-schedule-scores.shtml

https://twitter.com/truebluela/status/990803614565203973

o

o

Which is not to say that acquiring Machado for the remainder of the 2018 season would necessarily be a bad idea for the Dodgers ........ this is just some coincidental data that may or may not come into play with the Dodgers' line of thinking on the matter.

o

Archived