PressBox: D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

weams

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Stewart needs to play in every remaining game.  Davis can have a seat on the bench.

Yeah I would enjoy Stewart playing everyday.   I don't see a need to play Rickard or Andreoli.  They are older guys who haven't produced.  

Really thrilled for DJ Stewart.  He might be the first minor leaguer my son has met that is now in the Show.

We saw DJ play the Brooklyn Cyclones in Coney Island around July 13, 2015 shortly after DJ was drafted.  I believe I posted about it here and just reviewed my Facebook post from that time.  Stewart promised my son he would sign a ball and take a picture after the game and, sure enough, after the Ironbirds won and did their victory high-fives, Stewart walked over to us and took a picture and signed multiple balls.  We had been down to Baltimore for a Saturday game where my son scored a warm up between innings ball from Chris Parmalee and then had over 20 Ironbirds sign that ball.  He scored another ball during the Ironbirds game and DJ signed that one.

What I remember most was enjoying some Nathan's hot dogs at the Original Nathan's hot dog stand about two blocks from the ballpark with my father-in-law and my son after the game when DJ and a couple Ironbirds walked by.  The traffic had been horrible and I guess these guys were walking to the hotel or going to get to the hotel later.  My son ran up to DJ and they exchanged high-fives again and chatted for 30 seconds.  I think you can tell a lot by how these guys interact with the young fans - whether they initiate and extend conversations or simply want to move on.  I know my son is a big DJ Stewart fan and I am too.  That doesn't make him a good ballplayer, but IMO he has character and his .859 OPS in Bowie last year hopefully portends some major league success.  Best of luck, DJ Stewart!

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I was curious about his latter point too.... I’m not sure I quite trust anything Rick Dempsey says, though. Can any of our folks that have scouted him chime in on the validity of DJ having “premium” bat speed?

Dempsey is just making noise 99.999% of the time. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

There were 20 4-year college guys picked in the first round of the 2015 draft.    12 of them have now reached the majors, 8 have not — including 4 who were drafted ahead of Stewart (including Dillon Tate at 1:4).    

Not sure what you meant but "4 year college guys", but I would interpret that those players drafted were college seniors when, in fact, nearly all of the college guys taken were juniors with Bickford as a J2 (I believe this is junior college) and Benintendi who was a draft-eligible sophomore.

5 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Not sure what you meant but "4 year college guys", but I would interpret that those players drafted were college seniors when, in fact, nearly all of the college guys taken were juniors with Bickford as a J2 (I believe this is junior college) and Benintendi who was a draft-eligible sophomore.

Four year universities as opposed to HS  or Junior college.

43 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Well that explanation makes sense, but I am not sure if I have ever heard that distinction - it's college, juco and high school in at least 99% of sources I read.

On   B.B.-ref, the players who are drafted from a four year college are listed on the draft pages as “4yr.”   That’s why I refer to them that way.   I realize that most of them (especially in the first round) are juniors.    Sorry for any confusion.   

On 9/19/2018 at 7:52 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Stewart's first career home run as a Major Leaguer gave the Orioles an early 1-0 lead against the Blue Jays.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/19))))))))) 

NUMBER 1

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

o

o

He hit another one tonight, in a losing cause against the Yankees.

o