You are the Assistant GM: Part II (Trade Manny)

Tony-OH

Ok, Some good discussion already but I decided to narrow down the conversion to four deals to consider. What are the plusses and minuses of each deal?

1. Machado to Dodgers for Forsythe, Baez, Pederson, Peters, Rios, White, Lux (Read more here) by Hotdiggity

2. Machado to Dodgers for Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon (Read more here) by Luke-OH 

3. Machado to Phillies for J.P Craford and Kevin Gowdt (Read more here) by oriole

4. Manny Machado and Brad Brach to St. Louis for Jack Flaherty, Austin Gomber and Max Schrock (Read more here) by Tryptamine

In this part of the exercise, you have to pick what deal you like the best and why. Also, if you don't like a certain deal or don't think its realistic then let me know that as well.

At the end I'll take a vote for favorite deal!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I don't know these players on the other teams but first of all, are these realistic? If you were the Dodgers, Phillies or Cardinals, would you do these deals?

I think as a general rule fans of a team tend to overvalue their assets.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, Some good discussion already but I decided to narrow down the conversion to four deals to consider. What are the plusses and minuses of each deal?

1. Machado to Dodgers for Forsythe, Baez, Pederson, Peters, Rios, White, Lux (Read more here) by Hotdiggity

2. Machado to Dodgers for Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon (Read more here) by Luke-OH 

3. Machado to Phillies for J.P Craford and Kevin Gowdt (Read more here) by oriole

4. Manny Machado and Brad Brach to St. Louis for Jack Flaherty, Austin Gomber and Max Schrock (Read more here) by Tryptamine

In this part of the exercise, you have to pick what deal you like the best and why. Also, if you don't like a certain deal or don't think its realistic then let me know that as well.

At the end I'll take a vote for favorite deal!

Hmm. Well, Hotdiggity's informed comment on the situation in LA was nice to see. Peters has immense power from the right side and has been compared to Aaron Judge in that sense. He would be our right fielder with a strong arm and the ability to take walks and get on base at a high clip. He would immediately become our best OF prospect. I like Peters and I also like Lux. I like White as well, but his comments about him having trouble staying healthy are a little concerning though he did say White had the ability to be elite. Rios isn't all that intriguing to me. Defensively challenged with a free swinging approach at the plate with no real plan though he does make a lot of solid contact despite that approach. Forsythe and Pederson are nothing but salary dumps and Baez seems like he could be a decent bullpen piece. Overall, this is the deal that has the biggest chance of success in LA based on Hotdiggity's post and it seemed to be very reasonable and informed. A decent package for sure, but if that truly is the best LA is willing to do, it could easily be trumped elsewhere though the Orioles don't have the time to be too picky with this. They wasted all that time the last two years.

In deal four, Brach has no value at all and I'm not sure the Cards would give up more than one additional prospect in a deal that included Flaherty. However, the Cards are really going to need Flaherty going forward. Will they trade him plus 2-3 prospects for a Machado rental? Hard to say.. but the Cards FO isn't going to do anything that is going to hurt the franchise long term. Perhaps if they felt they had a good chance to lock Manny up, they would make such a deal. Brach is trying to unload our castaways on them and only the Orioles go dumpster diving. Replace Brach with Givens and then it at least adds some value to the deal. Brach adds none.

IIRC, the Orioles were trying to get the Phillies top pitching prospect Sixto Sanchez who is probably not going to be available unless the Phillies can sign Machado long term. The best thing that can happen is a bidding war. If no such war happens, the Orioles are just going to have to take what they can get. They wasted too much time. If we do this in the 2016 offseason, then it's much easier to get a haul without a bidding war. Now, time is short. Teams may be more inclined to get into a bidding war for Machado as a free agent and not have to give anything up. At least in the Dodgers deal, we're kind of doing them a favor by taking a few contracts off their hands along with the prospect package and plugging the hole left by Seager's injury. The Cards and Phillies both have the cash sign Manny as a FA and will probably be less inclined to give up prospects for him. The Dodgers don't have that luxury, but I also don't expect them to shoot themselves in the foot giving up the farm for a few months of Manny.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The Orioles have to hope for a bidding war if they want top prospects. That ship likely sailed years ago and now, they're paying for it as the team seems destined for a second consecutive last place finish in the division and will be fighting for the worst record in baseball.

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The Dodgers just signed Danny Espinosa.

So that's their answer then in '18? Dodgers had no plans to give up anything and went for a free agent (he had not played for Toronto this year, they released him late last month - had a handful of games in minors this year).

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

So that's their answer then in '18? Dodgers had no plans to give up anything and went for a free agent (he had not played for Toronto this year, they released him late last month - had a handful of games in minors this year).

No one knows who, if anyone, the Dodgers even talked to. Or if they talked to anyone, what the asking price was.

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

10 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No one knows who, if anyone, the Dodgers even talked to. Or if they talked to anyone, what the asking price was.

True. Just commenting on how with so many hopes on a big return for Manny with the unique LAD fit for Manny, this seems to be a big nothing burger now as far as LAD & O's are concerned.

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

True. Just commenting on how with so many hopes on a big return for Manny with the unique LAD fit for Manny, this seems to be a big nothing burger now as far as LAD & O's are concerned.

Yeah. I think a lot of people just got their hopes up. Though with the talk about how the Dodgers were trying to stay under the luxury tax, you might have had a great point about how Espinosa was in the minors this year. Much cheaper contract and even if he works out real well, they can keep him for a bit next season while Seager continues to recover. Where if they got Machado and he worked out well, you might still need a fill in.

Though now that you said "big nothing burger," I suddenly want an In and Out burger...

33 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't know if the Dodgers are serious about trying to acquire Manny, but Danny Espinosa doesn't move the needle an inch either way.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't know if the Dodgers are serious about trying to acquire Manny, but Danny Espinosa doesn't move the needle an inch either way.

I think the most important thing for LA is that it doesn't move the Luxury Tax needle an inch either.

28 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Dodgers are in 4th place, 7 games out. They aren't going to make a move for Manny unless they get back into the race. He alone will not do it for them. They need to play better.

It's still the beginning of May. Everyone still has a chance....

...except for the Orioles. They don't stand a chance

Archived