TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I didn't write it, but if I had to guess who the most important person in all of this is, it would be John Angelos. Unless of course Peter is still pulling strings behind the scenes.

He's the one that most likely will have the ability to make changes in organizational philosophies and how's run. 

That's why it's going to be really interesting to see how it shakes out. 

Well, failure is a great teacher.  I hope he draws the right lessons from the current situation. 

And I hope he is close to a decision point.  I would hate to think he's hoping that a little 5-7 game winning streak will get the pressure off and allow him to again delay the BIG decisions that must be made.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just made it through. One big question in terms of building the current team that I don't think was addressed: Who was behind the Davis signing? Some have suggested that it was an "ownership" decision rather than DD acting on his own. Davis is definitely one of Buck's guys to the end. I would like to know how much Brady was involved in that decision as well. At the very least, it sounds like he could have played an important veto role but didn't.

Totally agree that there has been visible signs of distrust between Buck and Dan. The first time I saw it was when Dan brought in Francisco Rodriguez for setup help in 2013 and Buck used him in mop up situations for the first month.

Buck wanted Davis back, Angelos reportedly made it happen is how I explained it in the piece.

Tony, I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for this article.

I don't mean this in a negative way, but none of it surprises me or likely any of the folks that have been on the Hangout for a long while.  I'm very glad that you've put it out here for the record, though.  I know you don't consider yourself a "journalist", but you did a masterful job of putting out the facts and keeping your opinion out of it.   Bravo!

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck wanted Davis back, Angelos reportedly made it happen is how I explained it in the piece.

Thanks. I guess I was wondering what was Brady's role, if any? Did he support the deal? Fail to veto? Or was he out of the inner circle at that time?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Thanks. I guess I was wondering what was Brady's role, if any? Did he support the deal? Fail to veto? Or was he out of the inner circle at that time?

I just can't believe that they let the manager have such a big influence on a decision like this.

My takeaway is that of all the heads in the 3-headed 'monster GM', all 3 of them have made good moves and bad moves.

Seems like Dan has had the most success?

Hard to know what any of it means for the future though.

This makes me wonder "what if" the Toronto gig was never a factor, causing Dan to lose clout in the Front Office.  It sounds like when left to his own devices, Dan is a great GM.  Very curious how the organization would look today with more of the Duquette DNA as opposed to others mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I didn't write it, but if I had to guess who the most important person in all of this is, it would be John Angelos. Unless of course Peter is still pulling strings behind the scenes.

He's the one that most likely will have the ability to make changes in organizational philosophies and how its run. 

That's why it's going to be really interesting to see how it shakes out. 

The more things seem to change the more they stay the same.  In the past folks just battled to curry favor with Peter, now they don't know who they should be currying favor with.  I could see Peter, John, and Lou being nebulously in charge for years to come.

One thing I will say is that the premise behind this article makes it plausible that Buck isn't running Tillman out there every five days because he's a Buck guy. Rather it could mean that he's running Tillman out there every five days to show that it was a Brady mistake. 

5 minutes ago, stockpile said:

This makes me wonder "what if" the Toronto gig was never a factor, causing Dan to lose clout in the Front Office.  It sounds like when left to his own devices, Dan is a great GM.  Very curious how the organization would look today with more of the Duquette DNA as opposed to others mentioned. 

I've always felt that Dan was a sound baseball mind.   I think if he were left with a budget and minimal owner interference, he could build a very good organization.  

55 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I could care less about Roch. Heaven forbid he blocks me and I miss out on his earth shattering tweets about the number of times he's heard Journey songs while covering the team in spring training. 

Roch isn't really a reporter anyway. He's a PR man for the team disguised as a reporter. 

CORRECT!! BINGO!! and what ever else fits here

Buck thrives on loyalty, and in fact may value loyalty over talent.

I was not to big on seeing Buck be let go but after reading this and I've always thought this too. It's why Buck has worn out his time other places and that's again why it's now time here too.

JMHO I don't want Anderson any where near personnel decisions if he was instrumental in bringing Tillman back. The guy thinks he can make a reclamation project out of ANYBODY.

GM guys can't be that close to the players it's a business and tuff decisions have to be made.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But like you said, if there is one thing I hope John and Lou read is that final piece about having one guy take control of Baseball Operations and let him hire his guys. 

This has to be one of the most ironic sentences ever written, since we don’t even know the division of responsibility between John and Lou.

One question, Tony, do you think any of your sources have their own agendas?    I sometimes feel like some of them are apologists for Duquette.

20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I've always felt that Dan was a sound baseball mind.   I think if he were left with a budget and minimal owner interference, he could build a very good organization.  

I believe so as well, especially as he has done it in the past.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This has to be one of the most ironic sentences ever written, since we don’t even know the division of responsibility between John and Lou.

One question, Tony, do you think any of your sources have their own agendas?    I sometimes feel like some of them are apologists for Duquette.

Exactly.   We've learned a lot about what has happened, but until we know a couple key items, we really can't know how things will proceed:

1) Which of the sons will have the power going forward?   Will it be Uday, or Qusay, or both?   And what vision do they have for the future organizational structure?

2) Does Brady have the relationship and influence with the sons that he does with the father?

Archived