Davey Johnson autobiography

Frobby

I read in the Washington Post today that Davey Johnson is coming out with an autobiography next week.    It will be interesting to  see his version of what happened with Peter Angelos in 1997, not to mention his account of the ‘66-71 seasons.     

I honestly don't care much to read about his playing days here or what happened with Angelos, Nats, etc.

'86 Mets, baby. IMO, the book should center around that.  Blow, alcohol, Straw, Doc, Dykstra and Mex.  I want all the details, every last story about illicit behavior and how he just let those guys run rampant.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

https://www.amazon.com/Davey-Johnson-Wild-Baseball-Beyond/dp/1629374113

The reason it was mentioned in the Post is that in the book Johnson says he was adamantly against the decision to shut down Steven Strasburg at in the final month of the 2012 season.   

Signed copies only $30 - http://premierecollectibles.com/davey-johnson-my-wild-ride-in-baseball-and-beyond/

Jim Palmer wrote one of the forewords of the book.

I got my signed copy about an hour ago and skipped ahead to the 1996-97 Orioles chapters.  After the Alomar-Hirschbeck incident, Peter called Davey into his office and demanded he sign an affidavit that said he heard Hirschbeck call Alomar a [SOB].  Davey didn't hear what Hirschbeck said, so he refused, to which one of Peter's lawyers told him, "You're not much of a manager. You're not much of a leader of men." "Angelos, who had no proven baseball competence was continuing a pattern of meddling in the affairs of our team that had begun at the start of the season.  It would only get worse from there."  After the loss in the 1996 ALCS, Angelos demanded Davey fire Pat Dobson and replace him with Ray Miller to which Davey refused.  "Fire me, not him, I told Angelos." 

Angelos went after Davey's wife on more than one occasion.

"Another was how my wife, Susan, had helped the club raise more than $150,000 toward the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Baltimore after the Orioles' previous year's effort had only yielded around $25,000.  For some reason, this upset Peter and he badmouthed her to the press."  After that, he decided he no longer wanted to work for Angelos. 

Then in 1997, there was her work with another charity, and trouble again with Alomar, that got Davey and Angelos fighting.  Davey suggested his wife's charity, but his only demand was Alomar didn't get get to pick the charity to pay his $10,500 fine.  (Alomar that season made over $6.3M, so, my math tells me, the fine was the rough equivalent of someone making $60K/year paying a fine of $99) Gillick drafted the letter which was given to Alomar, but again Peter dragged Susan Johnson into the feud.  That was the last straw.

After the season, he called Angelos every name in the book and demanded he be fired.  Angelos refused because then he'd owe Davey $800,000 for 1998.  Gillick tried to reason with Davey not to resign, but instead Davey called Angelos and offered to do just that.  Angelos' response was "put it in on paper and fax it to me."  Davey didn't care about the salary, let alone renegotiating a new deal; he had enough and wanted out.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I honestly don't care much to read about his playing days here or what happened with Angelos, Nats, etc.

'86 Mets, baby. IMO, the book should center around that.  Blow, alcohol, Straw, Doc, Dykstra and Mex.  I want all the details, every last story about illicit behavior and how he just let those guys run rampant.

Read Lenny Dykstra’s book for the Mets. He's got a few screws loose, but the book was hilarious. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much of it is Oriole related?

It's his whole baseball story and it includes his whole Orioles story from when he signed in 1962, through his playing days, and his return as manager.  He also spends chapters on his times with the Mets (book is signed with "86 WS Champs")  35 chapters in all, 11 on his times in Baltimore.

54 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Jim Palmer wrote one of the forewords of the book.

I got my signed copy about an hour ago and skipped ahead to the 1996-97 Orioles chapters.  After the Alomar-Hirschbeck incident, Peter called Davey into his office and demanded he sign an affidavit that said he heard Hirschbeck call Alomar a [SOB].  Davey didn't hear what Hirschbeck said, so he refused, to which one of Peter's lawyers told him, "You're not much of a manager. You're not much of a leader of men." "Angelos, who had no proven baseball competence was continuing a pattern of meddling in the affairs of our team that had begun at the start of the season.  It would only get worse from there."  After the loss in the 1996 ALCS, Angelos demanded Davey fire Pat Dobson and replace him with Ray Miller to which Davey refused.  "Fire me, not him, I told Angelos." 

Angelos went after Davey's wife on more than one occasion.

"Another was how my wife, Susan, had helped the club raise more than $150,000 toward the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Baltimore after the Orioles' previous year's effort had only yielded around $25,000.  For some reason, this upset Peter and he badmouthed her to the press."  After that, he decided he no longer wanted to work for Angelos. 

Then in 1997, there was her work with another charity, and trouble again with Alomar, that got Davey and Angelos fighting.  Davey suggested his wife's charity, but his only demand was Alomar didn't get get to pick the charity to pay his $10,500 fine.  (Alomar that season made over $6.3M, so, my math tells me, the fine was the rough equivalent of someone making $60K/year paying a fine of $99) Gillick drafted the letter which was given to Alomar, but again Peter dragged Susan Johnson into the feud.  That was the last straw.

After the season, he called Angelos every name in the book and demanded he be fired.  Angelos refused because then he'd owe Davey $800,000 for 1998.  Gillick tried to reason with Davey not to resign, but instead Davey called Angelos and offered to do just that.  Angelos' response was "put it in on paper and fax it to me."  Davey didn't care about the salary, let alone renegotiating a new deal; he had enough and wanted out.

Thanks I like it. 

Archived