One thing I miss about Matt Wieters...

Frobby

....was he was about as good a catch and tag guy as I’ve ever seen.       Last night was about the fourth time a short-hop throw has gotten past our catcher and the thrower was charged with an error.     In my opinion, our catchers need to catch those throws or at least keep them in front of them.   

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I like Sisco. I think he could become a nice player. I don't see it in Joseph, and I've seen a lot of him.

Its nothing personal, I just don't think he's a very good ballplayer.

I think the Orioles need to consider drafting or developing or acquiring a first rate catcher though.

I hear Austin Wynns is highly regarded, but it looks like he has light power.

I'd love to see the Orioles have a great defender and respectable hitter.

Cisco COULD become both, but its early.

Wynns will be 28 and he's still in the minors. Great catchers in baseball can be counted on one hand.

Posey, Molina, Perez, and one or two more.

I wish the Orioles had one of those type catchers.

If you think about it the Orioles really never had a great catcher...maybe Hoiles was pretty good...but Elrod and Etch, and Wieters were about as good as we had...and they had weaknesses.

Maybe catching is a lost art. The Orioles have pretty much never had an artist out there.

Catchers who are above average hitters are a bonus. Catchers who handle the entire pitching staff including calling a good game, setting a good target and receiving, blocking pitches, throwing out runners, and now (it used to be blocking runners at the plate) catching and tagging out runners is what I look for in the right guy.

Wieters was good at blocking balls in the dirt and catching and tagging out runners. He was good for a year or two at throwing out runners. 

If Wynns is everything I’ve heard defensively he’ll be fine to take the place of Joseph.

Sisco looks to be the future, artist or no.

Archived