Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

20 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Keep testing him for steroids. Something has to give.

He stopped taking steroids the moment he signed that contract, assuming he was taking steroids.  Point being, there's no chance he'll get caught from here on out.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

He stopped taking steroids the moment he signed that contract, assuming he was taking steroids.  Point being, there's no chance he'll get caught from here on out.

Right.  IF he was using before, and I use CAPS on that because we have no hard evidence that he did (remember, Adderall is not an anabolic steroid), there is not way he is now.  From his perspective, he got his big contract, AND he's already been suspended once.  So if he gets caught again, he gets a long suspension as a repeat offender, AND forfeits his salary for the length of the suspension.  Hell, the Orioles would probably love it if he got popped.  No, Davis is as clean as a whistle, IMO, he'd be crazy not to be.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I give Davis the rest of the year, maybe sitting him against LHP's to see if he has anything left.    It makes no sense to keep him on the team going forward at this rate.   The 133M or whatever is already spent.  He gets it unless we can negotiate a buyout.    Let's assume there is no middle ground.    We screwed up.   You don't compound the screwup by playing a hole in the lineup just because he has a big contract.     At the end of the season, if not sooner, assuming Davis doesn't figure it out, you release him.   Maybe some of it is mental and he goes to the minors for some other team and figures something out.  Doubtful but possible.     I get the feeling that he is toast or at the very least will never be a good hitter for the Orioles again.   You have to cut your losses at some point.     Let him play the rest of the season and see if he can help us get that first pick in the 2019 draft.   Half joking!

I think they'd rather bury him on the bench than risk releasing him, and having him go somewhere else and somehow resurrect his career.  The PR backlash if that were to occur would be even worse than it is now with him struggling like he is.  I think he'll get the Ryan Howard treatment and just ride the pine.

2 hours ago, esmd said:

I think they'd rather bury him on the bench than risk releasing him, and having him go somewhere else and somehow resurrect his career.  The PR backlash if that were to occur would be even worse than it is now with him struggling like he is.  I think he'll get the Ryan Howard treatment and just ride the pine.

Howard never had a season as bad as Davis is having, and Davis has 4 years left. O's cant keep a hitter who only puts up a .550 OPS.  He'll be riding the pine more and more often this year. But next year a decision needs made in the best interests of the team.  

20 hours ago, atomic said:

The  Angels traded Josh Hamilton to the Rangers paying 73 million out of the remaining 79 million owed to him.  And Josh only gave 0.4 WAR to the Rangers so they even overpaid. So there is precedent fro unloading Davis for nothing and paying the vast majority of his salary. 

That was after Josh had the Cocaine bender that he self- reported. 

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Right.  IF he was using before, and I use CAPS on that because we have no hard evidence that he did (remember, Adderall is not an anabolic steroid), there is not way he is now.  From his perspective, he got his big contract, AND he's already been suspended once.  So if he gets caught again, he gets a long suspension as a repeat offender, AND forfeits his salary for the length of the suspension.  Hell, the Orioles would probably love it if he got popped.  No, Davis is as clean as a whistle, IMO, he'd be crazy not to be.

And tested positive twice at least. 

Chris Davis option 3: 

Listening to MASN talking about Chris....PUT HIM ON WAIVERS

If someone claims him (and his salary) get a charter jet NOW.

If he passes thru waivers you can send him to the minors. If he refuses (he can), he becomes a F/A (however I think the O's don't have to pay him). In 2017 the Red Sox had two players in the minors that they were paying 11 mil or more (Allen Craig/11 mil and Rusney Castillo/11.271 mil). Castillo still has 3yrs/36.8 mil left on his contract and will stay in the minors( batting .295 with NO h/r's). I think this shows that these players went to the minors to get their paychecks. A side note, if a player is in the minors their contract does NOT count toward the luxury tax (that is way Castillo does not get called up as a 4th/5th o/f).

Tell Chris when he hits and stays at .300 for a month, you will call him up. Or he and his agent may decide that Chris does not want to ride the buses for 4 1/2 yrs and ask for a settlement.

11 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Chris Davis option 3: 

If he passes thru waivers you can send him to the minors. If he refuses (he can), he becomes a F/A (however I think the O's don't have to pay him). In 2017 the Red Sox had two players in the minors that they were paying 11 mil or more (Allen Craig/11 mil and Rusney Castillo/11.271 mil). Castillo still has 3yrs/36.8 mil left on his contract and will stay in the minors( batting .295 with NO h/r's). I think this shows that these players went to the minors to get their paychecks. A side note, if a player is in the minors their contract does NOT count toward the luxury tax (that is way Castillo does not get called up as a 4th/5th o/f).

Tell Chris when he hits and stays at .300 for a month, you will call him up. Or he and his agent may decide that Chris does not want to ride the buses for 4 1/2 yrs and ask for a settlement.

I like it. Does it have to be AAA? I would love to see how he fits in with the guys in Frederick.

18 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Chris Davis option 3: 

No one will claim him. He's passed through waivers every year since he signed the contract. 

Outside of him just retiring there's really no way out of the contract. They will have to pay him regardless of production, so they would be better off just DFA'ing him and moving on. However, ownership seems unwilling to eat the Tillman contract so thinking they will shed the Davis deal is a bit far fetched.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

No one will claim him. He's passed through waivers every year since he signed the contract. 

Outside of him just retiring there's really no way out of the contract. They will have to pay him regardless of production, so they would be better off just DFA'ing him and moving on. However, ownership seems unwilling to eat the Tillman contract so thinking they will shed the Davis deal is a bit far fetched.

I think it is safe to buy a Chris Davis Jersey as he will be here the next 4 1/2 seasons.

The one thing about this situation is people on here posting about giving Manny a 400 million dollar contract.   People never learn. 

Archived