Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

Davis is striking out looking at 88mph fastballs.

In reality, he isn't hitting anything.

From 2016 through 2018, the hitters with the lowest averages against 96-plus mph include (among others) Chris Davis (.120)

Olney: Hitters who can't beat the heat getting left behind

There are 22 hitters who have seen at least 30 pitches of 96 mph or faster this year and have yet to generate a hit against that high-velocity stuff. The bulk of those players are over 30 years old, including Ian Kinsler, Denard Span, Sean Rodriguez and Paul Goldschmidt. Through Friday's games, the Diamondbacks’ first baseman had seen 77 pitches of 96 mph or faster without logging a hit, the most in the majors.

From 2016 through 2018, the hitters with the lowest averages against 96-plus mph include (among others) Chris Davis (.120), Mike Napoli (.123), Ryan Braun (.151), Jose Bautista (.165) and Ian Desmond (.178), all beyond their 30th birthdays. There are more relievers throwing harder than ever, and if a hitter is perceived to struggle against high velocity, he’s going to see lots of high velocity.

One manager said, “The way it used to be -- I hate saying that, because it makes it seem ancient, and it really wasn’t that long ago -- is that an advanced scout would pick up on a weakness, and then it might take the rest of the league a couple of weeks to follow. Now if you’ve got a weakness, everybody knows right away because of the analytics, and they will attack it until you can change.”

For older players, making those adjustments against the oncoming wave of hard throwers appears to be more difficult.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I am wondering if there is a point where Buck will say Davis isn't a regular player anymore.  Obviously sub .500 OPS isn't it.  Buck batted Vlad cleanup for a whole year.  Davis has a good chance at the worst regular season ever.  He is blowing Dunn's worst season out of the water.  

I just don't think he can.  Davis makes too much.  And for you and me, that shouldn't factor into the equation but it does.  

57 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just don't think he can.  Davis makes too much.  And for you and me, that shouldn't factor into the equation but it does.  

Bat him between 7th-9th until (and if) his numbers improve. Don't bat him 5th, that's ridiculous. It just adds to the pressure for him, making it harder to improve. Only Showalter doesn't seem to understand that.

I guess a lot of you guys just don't see it. Davis like Tillman is a Buck guy so he keeps putting him out there in the heart of the lineup. It doesn't matter that it's detrimental to the club. Just like the year Kim played well but Buck hardly played him. Or using Ubaldo in the playoffs while Britton sat on his hands. Or leaving pitchers in too long or pulling them too quick.

I'm not saying Buck is a terrible manager. He does seem to know how to motivate players. By all accounts he's a good guy. I just think this organization needs a refresh from top to bottom.

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I guess a lot of you guys just don't see it. Davis like Tillman is a Buck guy so he keeps putting him out there in the heart of the lineup. It doesn't matter that it's detrimental to the club. Just like the year Kim played well but Buck hardly played him. Or using Ubaldo in the playoffs while Britton sat on his hands. Or leaving pitchers in too long or pulling them too quick.

I'm not saying Buck is a terrible manager. He does seem to know how to motivate players. By all accounts he's a good guy. I just think this organization needs a refresh from top to bottom.

I hte to say it but I think Buck is dumb as a box of rocks.  It was easy for him to be a good manager when the Starters were going 5 plus innings and he had four relievers who were all on fire.  I mean in 2014 he had Britton, Oday, Miller and Brach who had ERAs of .165, .170, .135 and 3.18 respectively. Once they got to the 7th inning the game was in the bag.  The team could win despite Buck having Davis go out there every night not hitting. 

11 hours ago, atomic said:

.158 average .490 OPS.  Amazingly bad.  And it isn't just this season.  I wonder what his stats are since May 18th of last season when he had a .266 average and a .910 OPS.  It has to be terrible.  

Ask and you shall receive: 

Davis' stats since May 18, 2017:
.182/.263/.342/.605
PA: 539
HR: 21
BB: 51
K: 204

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ask and you shall receive: 

Davis' stats since May 18, 2017:
.182/.263/.342/.605
 PA: 539
HR: 21
BB: 51
K: 204

Thank you.  Batting average is where I expected OPS is a little bit higher than I thought.  204 strikeouts in 539 plate appearances is impressive.  So if you add in his 3 hit by pitches he didn't make contact with the ball in 258 out 539 plate appearances.  That is 48 percent.  Another impressive stat.  

Why not give Davis the bunt sign every time up.  Every pitch.  Even with 2 strikes.  At least until teams change the defensive alignment.  Nothing to lose.  Hey, if he ignores the sign and swings away, you can fine him each time and recoup part of the lost money.  I'm only half kidding.

Manager Buck Showalter, who’s celebrating his 62nd birthday today, could keep lowering Davis in the order or sit him for consecutive games, as he did at the end of April. Not just one day off here and there.

Davis batted fifth last night, which continues to make less sense as his average plummets. The counter argument is, “If not him, then who?” To which I respond, “Is it who or whom?” And that’s also not a solution.

Benchings seem to be the only alternative if Davis doesn’t snap out of it. He had three good at-bats Monday night and nothing to show for them. And we’ve reached the point where flying out to the left field warning track is graded as a successful trip to the plate. Solid contact rather than striking out.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/05/more-on-manny-machado-and-chris-davis.html

Archived