Oriole Draft Primer: #11, #37, and my top 50 draft prospects

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I'll tell you what, if Kelenic was there at 11, I'd take him.  I think he's Nick Markakis with more potential homerun power: an above average, potential MLB All Star and Gold Glove RF.  If we could snag him and Kumar Rocker was there with the 2nd pick (pay him since no 2nd rounder) I'd feel real good after Day 1.

What do you mean by pay him since no second rounder?  No second round pick means less pool money.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do you mean by pay him since no second rounder?  No second round pick means less pool money.

Interesting.  I guess I still don't get all the new rules.  I figured pay him more as we wouldn't have to pay 2nd round pick

Just now, ScGO's said:

Interesting.  I guess I still don't get all the new rules.  I figured pay him more as we wouldn't have to pay 2nd round pick

Plus if Rocker has a reachable number, one of the teams with multiple picks between 11 and 37 will be better positioned to snag him. The O’s don’t have the pool money to buy him down either.

Each pick has a designated amount of money you can use to sign the player picked at that spot. You add up all the amounts of your picks in the top 10 rounds and that’s your draft pool. You can divide that pool amongst your picks however you choose without going over. So if you are paying someone overslot somewhere, you need to go underslot elsewhere.

After the tenth round, each pick has a max of 100,000 that doesn’t count towards the pool, if you want to spend more, you need to have saved cash in the first ten rounds.

For example, the Orioles drafted Cameron Bishop in the 20somethingth round last year and signed him for 500,000. They used 400000 in savings from the top ten  rounds to go 400,000 over the 100k limit. Mason McCoy, TJ Nichting, Ben Breazeale, and Jimmy Murphy are some of the guys they saved money on.

The funny thing about the draft. Right now would you rather have DL Hall or Keston Hiura?  Hiura was the guy everyone seemed to want last year with our pick. Nobody expected DL Hall to be available. 

I hope we have a similar outcome. A top 5-7 player somehow falls to us. 

7 hours ago, ScGO's said:

It would mean that you would give up the rest of the to ten to be able to do so.

Singing all guys would would take 6 to 20 thousand dollars. Like Jay Flaa. 

You can spend up to 105 percent of your allotted pool. I have some of the details over in the Draft forum, Draft tracker.

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The track record of college 3B taken early is really strong, but he’s not a favorite of mine either. 

Unless you think he could handle SS like some do?

(posted elsewhere first but this thread seems to have more traction)

If Liberatore or Winn aren't available at 1-11 I'd love to see the O's take Kelenic or perhaps Parker Meadows (Austin Meadows younger brother). Maybe they could save some money taking Kelenic or Meadows to make a run at the best athlete and potentially top talent in the draft at #37 in Kyler Murray. Murray will be a tough sign and overslot but I think that's exactly what the Orioles need to do here. Hopefully our draft team has talked to his people to see what it would take to sign him. Yes, he will be the Oklahoma Sooners starting QB this season, but his future definitely is in baseball.

6 hours ago, weams said:

It would mean that you would give up the rest of the to ten to be able to do so.

Singing all guys would would take 6 to 20 thousand dollars. Like Jay Flaa

You can spend up to 105 percent of your allotted pool. I have some of the details over in the Draft forum, Draft tracker.

I actually remembered that senior sign and thought let me check BB ref and see how long he lasted out of curiosity.  Whoa, he's still with us!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=flaa--000jay

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a stupid way to approach things.

While we have eight players ahead of Skippy McSecond on the board we are going to pick him anyway because of need.

Dumb.

Don't think that's quite what he said.  Jonathan India is in the top 11 of every mock draft I've seen.  He's a college bat that many think could move quickly.  And the Orioles need infielders.  So, that would be a consideration on where the O's put India on their board.  They wouldn't need to reach down to a guy who most had in the 20-30 area to take him at 11 when there are several infielders that legitimately could be valued in that slot.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Don't think that's quite what he said.  Jonathan India is in the top 11 of every mock draft I've seen.  He's a college bat that many think could move quickly.  And the Orioles need infielders.  So, that would be a consideration on where the O's put India on their board.  They wouldn't need to reach down to a guy who most had in the 20-30 area to take him at 11 when there are several infielders that legitimately could be valued in that slot.

And if India is gone?  Do they take #17 on their board because of position?  Do they take #50 instead of #37?

Archived