Oriole Draft Primer: #11, #37, and my top 50 draft prospects

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I can see both sides on that thought, in theory. But I struggle with any example of a 2B picked in the top 15 recently. Chase Utley was the Phillies first rounder in 2000, picked 15th overall. He was a SS at UCLA, and I don't recall him being a sure thing to move over at the time. That said, if there is a dynamic college bat there who perhaps has an arm just short of SS, then sure, I can see it.

Keston Hiura went #9 last year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, zjsmith said:

I hope Luke is kidding. I don't see top teams filling their 2nd base needs with a top 15 pick. Those teams draft pitchers, shortstops, impact outfielders with those picks. But if you want to be mediocre go ahead and draft a 2nd baseman.

It seems to me that Luke was referring to Dunn being just out of his Top 50, rather than someone he liked at #11. 

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

One thing I'd like to add about the MLB Draft. Major League Baseball is missing the boat on making it more popular, if they'd allow full-scale trading of draft picks. No restrictions.

Ex: Machado to the Braves for their #1 and #2  picks this year and #3 and #4 next year.
This would certainly heighten attention for the draft. O's fans would be very interested to find out who we were getting.

Anyway, I hope MLB sees the light and allows this in the next CBA.

Completely agree.  I don't think the MLB draft will ever be the spectacle the NFL draft is, but they need to do a much better job marketing it.  MLB needs to get more of the top prospects and their families to attend the draft.  And unlimited trades are one of the most exciting parts of the NFL draft.  The downside of allowing it in MLB is we have a GM who'd probably trade our top 2-3 picks every year for some mediocre veteran middle relievers...

3 hours ago, zjsmith said:

I hope Luke is kidding. I don't see top teams filling their 2nd base needs with a top 15 pick. Those teams draft pitchers, shortstops, impact outfielders with those picks. But if you want to be mediocre go ahead and draft a 2nd baseman.

If you are talking about Madrigal, just wait and see where he’s picked, I guarantee it’s in the top 10.

4 hours ago, zjsmith said:

It doesn’t happen often, but 2B have gone in the top 15 before.   Like Chase Utley (65.6 rWAR).    Last year the Brewers picked Keston Hiura at no. 9.     

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It doesn’t happen often, but 2B have gone in the top 15 before.   Like Chase Utley (65.6 rWAR).    Last year the Brewers picked Keston Hiura at no. 9.     

Jemile Weeks in 2008 and Rickie Weeks in 2003

The first part of your post is true, though. I believe it has only happened 5 or 6 times going back to 2000.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:23 AM, Luke-OH said:

I'm not sure where you are getting that. But honestly, I don't think any publications called Sedlock or DL Hall to the Orioles, so I wouldn't put too much stock into them, the Orioles apparently keep things pretty close to the vest.

MLB.com has done 4 mocks, with the O's picks being Gorman, Winn, Weathers, and Winn

Fangraphs has India, mentioning interest in Gilbert, Larnach, and Rolison as well.

BA is behind a paywall, but they've done a few.

Perfect Game has 3 mocks, with the O's picks being Singer, India, and Weathers

Draftsite has Jarred Kelenic

CBS Sports has Shane McClanahan

Law has Liberatore in his most recent mock.

Edit: I just saw BA have the O's taking Winn also, so 2 outlets.

I just watched some tape on Winn and he has some trouble getting on top of his pitches.  He's overpowering hitters right now but almost everything is up in the zone.

Looks like he needs to fix his release point. Any idea how easy/difficult it is to do this, Luke?

As it stands now I would be very concerned if we took him.

1 hour ago, joelala said:

I just watched some tape on Winn and he has some trouble getting on top of his pitches.  He's overpowering hitters right now but almost everything is up in the zone.

Looks like he needs to fix his release point. Any idea how easy/difficult it is to do this, Luke?

As it stands now I would be very concerned if we took him.

He gets on top of pitches just fine IMO. He finishes most of the pitches in this video. 

There can be many causes of not getting on top or finishing, some are easy to fix, some are much more difficult.

The easiest is if there aren’t any mechanical or physical causes and it just needs to be cued.

There can be physical issues like lack of strength in the landing leg or lack of flexibility in that hip.

And there can be mechanical issues like the timing of the stride or overstriding issues.

Winn doesn’t have any of those issues IMO, maybe he could get stronger and have a firmer, more consistent landing, but it’s not bad.

He’s got a high spin 4S FB so I think he purposely works up in the zone a lot, maybe to the point of losing his finish at times, but I don’t think it’s concerning at all.

Honestly, the biggest issue with taking Winn is lack of some of the top end upside that other prep arms have. Rumor has it that the Giants like Winn so much that he’d be their pick at #2 overall if Bart goes #1.

He certainly looks much better in the link you posted.  Here's the video I saw.  In hindsight, I overreacted a bit, but there are definitely some pitches he doesn't finish.  There are also quite a few that he does though, so yea, maybe its not that big of an issue.

18 minutes ago, joelala said:

He certainly looks much better in the link you posted.  Here's the video I saw.  In hindsight, I overreacted a bit, but there are definitely some pitches he doesn't finish.  There are also quite a few that he does though, so yea, maybe its not that big of an issue.

I gotcha, he does fail to finish a few pitches early, but like I said in the previous post, I think it’s completely fixable with something as simple as cuing “finish out front” or “get into your front hip”. He fixed it on his own as the outing progressed, so it seems like something he’s been coached on previously as you’d expect.

Archived