Baltimore Sun: Angelos Story

eddie83

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent article by Ed and Peter that verified a lot of what was in my piece but also clarified Lou's role in baseball operations. That was something I wasn't clear about.

What this tells us though is several things:

- The Orioles are still run by Peter Angelos even if his sons are taking more responsibility and that ownership is still making final baseball decisions.
- Ownership veteoed deals for Britton and Machado that baseball people liked and thought would help rebuild the team.
- Lou was in charge of the baseball operations budgeting this off season and perhaps longer, including international scouting. So the fact that they didn't spend much at all in international budgeting would suggest he won't change the poor policy of not spending internationally much in the future.
- Duquette acts as the GM, but only to bring deals to ownership who then makes final decisions (2hich could include Brady with influence)
- Like in my piece, Brady wants to be President but doesn't want to do the dirty work of being a GM. He likes to do what he wants when he wants.

Basically, all things point to this team continually being run like it's been run. No clear hierarchy, multiple people having influences, and the Angelos' running things as they always have.

In other words, more of the same.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Excellent article by Ed and Peter that verified a lot of what was in my piece but also clarified Lou's role in baseball operations. That was something I wasn't clear about.

- The Orioles are still run by Peter Angelos even if his sons are taking more responsibility and that ownership is still making final baseball decisions.
- Ownership veteoed deals for Britton and Machado that baseball people liked and thought would help rebuild the team.
- Lou was in charge of the baseball operations budgeting this off season and perhaps longer, including international scouting. So the fact that they didn't spend much at all in international budgeting would suggest he won't change the poor policy of not spending internationally much in the future.
- Duquette acts as the GM, but only to bring deals to ownership who then makes final decisions (2hich could include Brady with influence)
- Like in my piece, Brady wants to be President but doesn't want to do the dirty work of being a GM. He likes to do what he wants when he wants.

Basically, all things point to this team continually being run like it's been run. No clear hierarchy, multiple people having influences, and the Angelos' running things as they always have.

That second bullet point... really really hurts.

I don't understand Brady.  What is his fascination of having the players stay at his house during the off-season, his having to be on field, and his double wide locker in the locker-room?  It is like he can't grow up and is a man-child. 

The Angelos son's don't impress me and their refusal to talk to the press is sad.  Why can't they just clarify where the team is headed?  The way the team is structured no one is responsible for the team being in last place two seasons in a row.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't understand Brady.  What is his fascination of having the players stay at his house during the off-season, his having to be on field, and his double wide locker in the locker-room?  It is like he can't grow up and is a man-child. 

Sometimes things are just really simple when our brain tells us they are too complicated to understand.

I think Brady just really likes doing fun things.  And it's fun for him to hang out with MLB players and sorta pretend that he's still one of them.  I think it's even more obvious when we hear about how he has no interest in being GM because it would be 'too boring' or 'restrictive' for him.

So we have a guy who just wants to hang out and do fun stuff..........who happens to love the owner and enjoys praising him in public and is incredibly loyal to him.

Very inspirational to see how all things are possible if you just are good buds with very rich and powerful people.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Sometimes things are just really simple when our brain tells us they are too complicated to understand.

I think Brady just really likes doing fun things.  And it's fun for him to hang out with MLB players and sorta pretend that he's still one of them.  I think it's even more obvious when we hear about how he has no interest in being GM because it would be 'too boring' or 'restrictive' for him.

So we have a guy who just wants to hang out and do fun stuff..........who happens to love the owner and enjoys praising him in public and is incredibly loyal to him.

Very inspirational to see how all things are possible if you just are good buds with very rich and powerful people.

You have to admit, Brady has a good gig. Who wouldn't want to do what he wanted, when he wanted within the organizations, and have influence over major acquisitions, all with no accountability?

We can all say what we want whether we like this or not, but we have to admit that sounds like the perfect gig for almost everyone. 

Basically we have rich people and their friends running the organization along with a TV channel and law firm.

What's not to like?

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

The Angelos son's don't impress me and their refusal to talk to the press is sad.  Why can't they just clarify where the team is headed?  The way the team is structured no one is responsible for the team being in last place two seasons in a row.  

Not the first time the Oriole brass has refused to talk to the Sun this year. They asked the Orioles a few times about the streaming decision and why they took all the games off regular Tv. Three articles and waiting for an answer.

As I did for my reports in April, I reached out this week to MASN and the Orioles for this column, hoping to get an explanation of the TV decision to share with their fans and viewers — as well as a sense of how they are feeling about the decision today. They have yet to respond.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bs-fe-zontv-orioles-baseball-masn-20180502-story.html

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this article is the worst news yet. 

I am still hoping based on what Ken Rosenthal said that they change their International spending- certainly not counting on it. 

Really infuriating.  

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think this article is the worst news yet. 

I am still hoping based on what Ken Rosenthal said that they change their International spending- certainly not counting on it. 

Really infuriating.  

IF that was Peter's decision, I don' think the sons are changing it until he passes sadly.  

Right now, this organization needs a revamp from top to bottom.  Clarify executive roles, provide clear accountability.  Revamp the development systems, scouting departments, increase international spending.  The narrow-minded view that we have of drafting and development needs to change, and we need to look at all avenues of acquiring talent. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I have never understood why some posters seem to think the Angelos boys are o will be significantly different than their dad. They have been heavily involved, especially John, for decades. 

How much can they do with Dad still around? 

It’s like people who hate Jim Irsay because his dad moved the Colts. What was he going to do? 

I don’t know if they will be any better or not, I just don’t think it is a given they will be as bad. 

Archived