Are the O's Tanking?

wildcard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how tanking has become a strategy....and fans get bitter when a FO strives for the stars and ends up in the dreaded middle ground of mediocrity instead. Sucking...whether intentional or not...doesn’t seem a strategy as such...more just sucking. It only becomes a strategy when you win the World Series five odd years down the road.

7 hours ago, esmd said:

Who cares?  If I could find a team willing to take him and his salary next year, freeing up DH for Mancini (or someone else if Mancini is playing 1st with Davis riding the pine), then by all means, I'd take a B or even C level prospect.

We’re never finding that. Next year Trumbo and Davis will both be regulars again. 

16 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tanking would mean trading assets that have value beyond this season, such as Jonathan Schoop, Kevin Gausman, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, Mychal Givens, Richard Bleier, maybe even Trey Mancini.    

Sure, they aren't deliberately tanking.  But with them playing bad veterans like Chris Davis and Chris Tillman, they are basically on AutoTank

Three out of the four pitchers who pitched yesterday now have ERA's  over 7.00 . And the other one over 5.00 but has just gotten called up. 

I have heard that Alex Cobb has petitioned the league so now he can use minor league balls in major league games. Otherwise he might only pitch in simulated games. Maybe him and Tillman can both get simulated.

Accountability?

Non Performing Contracts:

CD : 21.1 Million  ZB: 12.5 Million CT: 3 Million  CR: 3 Million  TB: 3.35 Million, Total: 42.95 Million

Vastly Under performing Contracts:

AC: 14.0 Million  DO: 9 Million  MT: 12.5 Million, Total : 35.5 Million

That's 78.45 Million spent on below replacement level performance

and no one involved has been fired

If fact Brady/Buck who seem to have their fingerprints on all of these deals are being apparently in line for promotions?

MBA students will be doing case studies on the Orioles as an example of a completely dysfunctional organization for decades.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Accountability?

CD : 21.1 Million  ZB: 12.5 Million CT: 3 Million  CR: 3 Million  TB: 3.35 Million, Total: 42.95 Million

If fact Brady/Buck who seem to have their fingerprints on all of these deals are being apparently in line for promotions?

MBA students will be doing case studies on the Orioles as an example of a completely dysfunctional organization for decades.

I guess the owner can’t fire himself.    At least the CD and ZB situations are on his hands.    

18 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Getting rid of Trumbo in a rebuild isn't about the return in the trade, it's about freeing up the spot.

I think it would take an injury, but if the return is negligible and he keeps producing he is definitely tradeable.  That said trading Trumbo is not in the top 3 of priority trades this season, and I don't really trust the Orioles to really pull off 4 plus significant trades.  Not with the current management structure.  This is how I see it going down.

Brady:  "Hey Dan, I traded Trumbo for a bag of peanuts to an NL team."

Dan:  "Oh damn, I just traded him for a bag of cashews to this AL team."

Brady: "I like peanuts."

Dan: "Screw that I like cashews."

Peter: "Don't worry, I vetoed both trades.  I prefer Olives.  And nuts break too easily."

Unfortunately, this might be close to the truth on how things are run. Funny though!

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Three out of the four pitchers who pitched yesterday now have ERA's  over 7.00 . And the other one over 5.00 but has just gotten called up. 

I have heard that Alex Cobb has petitioned the league so now he can use minor league balls in major league games. Otherwise he might only pitch in simulated games. Maybe him and Tillman can both get simulated.

Tell you what, we are certainly passed the point where Cobb is not in shape. Now he's just sucking. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Accountability?

I'll give them a pass on the Britton one, because if we didn't pay him, someone else was going to sign him to a two year deal to assist his rehab.  It is a calculated risk to pay him 60% of that $12.5 million and hoping to flip him for a prospect.  

Another point- if we expected to compete, why did we wait so long to spend money, and why aren't we spending what we did last year?  We have $12 million (give or take) from last year's payroll that could've been spent as well.  I will never understand a team that cuts payroll and expects to compete, especially when a large percentage of the pool is going to arbitration increases.  

The good news, if you want to call it that, is that after next season, only Cobb and Davis are under contract- Cobb for two, Davis for three.  Though at this point, it is a good point to argue on whether or not Davis is in our uniform or not. 

Archived