Stewart, Mullins, Mancini: Time to make some moves

wildcard

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess you're right (I know, I know, you always are).  But I don't see the harm in letting him figure it out here.  There's no playoff race that he's impacting with his bad play.  

This is a 65 win team no matter who's playing, is my point.  If you want Mancini down, I'm not going to argue hard that he should be in Baltimore.  

It isn't so much I want Mancini down as I would like to give the chance to someone else.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

* Triple-A Norfolk outfielder DJ Stewart remains out with a sore hamstring. He was removed from Saturday’s game, but not before hitting his sixth home run.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/05/does-memorial-day-marker-move-orioles-toward-massive-changes.html

Thanks, so no timetable.  Hopefully it won't be long.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

They'll get their chances, I'm in no rush.  

In a small part of my mind I'm convinced that if they start the process earlier it will be over earlier and we can get back to watching winning baseball.

In all likelihood it won't make a difference.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In a small part of my mind I'm convinced that if they start the process earlier it will be over earlier and we can get back to watching winning baseball.

In all likelihood it won't make a difference.

I hear ya, but I've abandoned hope that we'll see any winning baseball here anytime soon.  I think we're just starting another 10-14 year stretch.  The Orioles are incompetent, the Yankees and Sox have ascended again.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hear ya, but I've abandoned hope that we'll see any winning baseball here anytime soon.  I think we're just starting another 10-14 year stretch.  The Orioles are incompetent, the Yankees and Sox have ascended again.  

Can't say that I'm not there with you.

Hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And heard Rasmus hip is still bothering him.No extended Spring Training not yet He will be the saviour. Buck also said that Trey still feels something in his knee. Tries to give him some time at DH and 1B to help.

I figured that when he missed a week of spring training games without a word.

It was bad enough he retired last year.  Not sure why the O's figured he could handle the stress this year.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I figured that when he missed a week of spring training games without a word.

It was bad enough he retired last year.  Not sure why the O's figured he could handle the stress this year.

Buck's magic.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's probably a .5-2.5 win guy.  Useful enough as long as he isn't expensive.  But I don't think he should be exempt from being set down.  Right now his bat isn't carrying his glove.

I think Trey is still playing hurt and I think his knee pain got his front step and timing a bit out of sync.  He would do well to DL, get some rehab at bats and regroup for a better second half. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I think Trey is still playing hurt and I think his knee pain got his front step and timing a bit out of sync.  He would do well to DL, get some rehab at bats and regroup for a better second half. 

Sure if he's hurt he's hurt.  No question at all.  I think Buck encourages guys to Buckle Up and play when maybe they shouldn't.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I didn't say dump Trey.    I said DL  him  or option  him to let him work it out at AAA.   But that was before  it was announced that Stewart was injured.  Now we just have to ride out the slump with Trey.

Yeah - kidding sir.

Perhaps Cal can take him aside and mansplain the whole GIDP thang.  I dunno - thinking Cedrick might entertain us a bit more though.  ⚾

On 5/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, Roy Firestone said:

No way do I send down Mancini. He's still hitting the ball hard, but its on the ground and he did hit a HR this week . Let him work himself out of it. His knee his fine, Don't mess with him. I would move Gentry or Rickard before I moved Mancini.

I agree.  Why is Gentry still taking up a roster spot, especially with Rickard now up?  DFA him and let him be a placeholder for someone else.  Gentry is who he is and always will be.  Stewart isn't some raw A-ball guy, he's got 1500 PA in the minors under his belt by now, and a .360 career OBP.  Sure, Stewart may end up being no better than Gentry in the long run, but at least he has his whole career ahead of him as opposed to behind him in Gentry's case.  Let's see what he can do.  I think he has the potential to be a youthful version of Seth Smith with the bat (don't know how his defense is regarded), which would be a modest yet welcome upgrade.  

Archived