Hard to get upset

eddie83

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly do not care about the losses at this point.  I certainly prefer them to win, but to me a sports season has a very binary result.  You make the playoffs or you do not.  I really don't care after that whether we come in 3rd or whether we're the worst team in baseball.  It's just not important to me.  The playoff hunt for this team ended before it ever really got started, so again it's easy to just shrug the losses off.

But, there certainly are still plenty of things to get annoyed at.  Half the team playing out of position being probably tops on my list for now.  Automatic benching of Sisco against lefties not far behind.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I honestly do not care about the losses at this point.  I certainly prefer them to win, but to me a sports season has a very binary result.  You make the playoffs or you do not.  I really don't care after that whether we come in 3rd or whether we're the worst team in baseball.  It's just not important to me.  The playoff hunt for this team ended before it ever really got started, so again it's easy to just shrug the losses off.

Not me.    I enjoyed last season for five months even though the ending sucked.   This season has been miserable from the third week of the season forward (I did enjoy the series where we won 3 of  4 from the Yankees to get to 4-6).   I feel like my summer has been robbed.  I have tickets to tonight’s game and don’t even feel like going.   This is my definition of Hell.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not me.    I enjoyed last season for five months even though the ending sucked.   This season has been miserable from the third week of the season forward (I did enjoy the series where we won 3 of  4 from the Yankees to get to 4-6).   I feel like my summer has been robbed.  I have tickets to tonight’s game and don’t even feel like going.   This is my definition of Hell.

Oh, I don't disagree - let me clarify, a season in contention is much more fun than a season not in contention, whether you end up making the playoffs or not.  I'm just saying, at the end of the year once the season is over, I don't care if we missed the playoffs by 2 games or 20.  We obviously aren't making the playoffs, so at this point winning and losing individual games, eh.  I'd rather win, but the losses don't eat at me.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. The baseball season about summer evenings listening or watching to games. A season is 162 games a year, and although everyone wants to be in the playoffs, I much rather have a team that is playing meaningful baseball most of the year rather than this one which has been irrelevant almost from the start.

I can deal with a rebuilding year, but unfortunately, we don't know what the Orioles are doing. We don't know who is calling the shots ultimately, we don't know who will be the architect for the post Machado-Orioles. 

I think the worse of all though is having to watch one of the worse players in the MLB bat after our best hitter night after night knowing that best hitter will be playing elsewhere but Davis will still be here thanks to that ridiculous contract Angelos gave him.

So year, I'd rather have a flawwed team that was at least winning half their games vs this awful, terribly boring team.

7 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I must say watching Hellickson pitch good for the Nats after stinking it up with us last year is highly irritating. 

I must say watching ___________ pitch good for the (not O's) after stinking it up with us is highly irritating. 

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Oh, I don't disagree - let me clarify, a season in contention is much more fun than a season not in contention, whether you end up making the playoffs or not.  I'm just saying, at the end of the year once the season is over, I don't care if we missed the playoffs by 2 games or 20.  We obviously aren't making the playoffs, so at this point winning and losing individual games, eh.  I'd rather win, but the losses don't eat at me.  

I feel the same way. 

2 hours ago, LocoChris said:

I must say watching Hellickson pitch good for the Nats after stinking it up with us last year is highly irritating. 

I guess it is but I think the irritation goes toward the O's coaches instead of the pitchers that leave and do better with another team. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It does suck. I have some fond memories of 1992 and 1993. Neither team was great and both played poorly in September but both years they went into Labor Day in the race. In 2013 they were one game out of a WC with 12 games left. Those seasons had value. This season is pretty worthless.  

Until the kids get up here and trades are made this season will continue to drag on. Many pieces on the major league roster have zero bearing on the future.  

For me, I'd rather one of two things: a team that is clearly rebuilding playing young guys that have solid dynamics, but are still raw and need time or a team that can at the very least compete.

The Orioles are the worst of the worst. They have minimal (no?) up and coming talent on the team short of Hess. Everybody else is going to be gone in a couple years (Machado, Schoop, Gausman, etc.). And then you have the aging former stars/players like Jones, Davis, etc. Aside from that? Just a bunch of spare parts. Sorry to be so harsh, but guys like Valencia, Peterson, Susac, Rickard, Alvarez, etc. would all be role players on most good teams, not starting day in and day out.

This is just a bad team all around. I'd *hope* that the starting pitching can level itself out at some point and at least be average. But aside from that? Meh.

The best thing this club can do is trade Jones, Machado, hope Britton is healthy and trade him, hope Trumbo can get healthy and trade him/salary dump him and call up the young guys.

Here are the sad numbers:

• 3.83 runs scored per game (27th)
  • 17 stolen bases (27th)
  • .232 batting average (26th)
  • 490 strikeouts (6th worst)
  • .295 OBP (28th)
  • .388 SLG (25th)
  • 5.08 ERA (29th)
  • 5.41 runs allowed per game (29th)
  • 1.529 WHIP (30th)
  • 4.70 FIP (27th)

The O's are 29th in Wins Above Average By Position. With the following breakdowns:

• SP: -1.9
  • RP: 0.5
  • Catcher:  -0.9
  • 1B: -2.3
  • 2B: -0.7
  • 3B: -0.9
  • SS: 1.3
  • LF: -1.3
  • CF: -0.9
  • RF: -0.8
  • DH: -0.6
  • PH: -0.4

I don't think I've ever seen an Orioles team as bad as this years in my lifetime. There's Manny Machado, a couple decent relief pitchers, a few OK starters....and well, what else?

It's depressing.

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

But, there certainly are still plenty of things to get annoyed at.  Half the team playing out of position being probably tops on my list for now.  Automatic benching of Sisco against lefties not far behind.

Going to games knowing they are going to lose is no fun.  It was fun seeing the Orioles knock the Red Sox out of the playoffs in 2011.  Last game I went to I think they had 2 hits all game.   No way you can get enjoyment out of the current team.  

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

For me, I'd rather one of two things: a team that is clearly rebuilding playing young guys that have solid dynamics, but are still raw and need time or a team that can at the very least compete.

The Orioles are the worst of the worst. They have minimal (no?) up and coming talent on the team short of Hess. Everybody else is going to be gone in a couple years (Machado, Schoop, Gausman, etc.). And then you have the aging former stars/players like Jones, Davis, etc. Aside from that? Just a bunch of spare parts. Sorry to be so harsh, but guys like Valencia, Peterson, Susac, Rickard, Alvarez, etc. would all be role players on most good teams, not starting day in and day out.

This is just a bad team all around. I'd *hope* that the starting pitching can level itself out at some point and at least be average. But aside from that? Meh.

The best thing this club can do is trade Jones, Machado, hope Britton is healthy and trade him, hope Trumbo can get healthy and trade him/salary dump him and call up the young guys.

Here are the sad numbers:

• 3.83 runs scored per game (27th)
  • 17 stolen bases (27th)
  • .232 batting average (26th)
  • 490 strikeouts (6th worst)
  • .295 OBP (28th)
  • .388 SLG (25th)
  • 5.08 ERA (29th)
  • 5.41 runs allowed per game (29th)
  • 1.529 WHIP (30th)
  • 4.70 FIP (27th)

The O's are 29th in Wins Above Average By Position. With the following breakdowns:

• SP: -1.9
  • RP: 0.5
  • Catcher:  -0.9
  • 1B: -2.3
  • 2B: -0.7
  • 3B: -0.9
  • SS: 1.3
  • LF: -1.3
  • CF: -0.9
  •  RF: -0.8
  •  DH: -0.6
  • PH: -0.4

I don't think I've ever seen an Orioles team as bad as this years in my lifetime. There's Manny Machado, a couple decent relief pitchers, a few OK starters....and well, what else?

It's depressing.

Well it should be easy to improve.  Just get a bunch of replacement level players and we are in business. 

I've just kind of thrown up my hands to this entire season. This is the first time I've ever felt like the team isn't worth my constant time and attention. I haven't watched in a while because it's just bad baseball, and there's really no reason for this team to be as bad as they are. Players are playing well below their career averages all over the field, the manager is not making wise strategic or tactical moves, and the organization as a whole is an absolute rudderless ship.

I'm certainly no fairweather fan. I was in on the 14 year drought like most of the rest of you. But this particular edition of the O's is unwatchable for many reasons, not just what's happening on the field.

Archived