Machado Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Machado Trade Expectations  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding the return we receive, what are your expectations of whatever Machado trade takes place?

• The return will be outstanding.
    • The return will be solid.
    • The return will be merely decent.
    • The return will be poor.
    • The return will be just terrible.
    • I expect we will not trade him at all, getting only a compensation pick in next year's draft.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this was an excellent trade.  Diaz is a tremendous headliner and the next best player offered by other organizations may have been Medina or Burnes.  Diaz has a strong chance to be an above average major leaguer and I think he has some Yellich/Markakis comp as a high obp guy with developing power.  He is a strong piece to build a core of players for our next playoff team.

I think there is a good chance one of the pitchers is an above average arm in a major league bp - maybe both.  I will take that.

I have to respect what Callis said, but I think this is a high-quality return - much more than a solid return.

4 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Right outside Myrtle Beach. 7 minutes off the Ocean.

Nice. I’m in the Hilton Head, SC area myself. Mostly Braves country (and NYY/BOS/CUBS/CLE retiree transplants)- but I am struck by how often I do actually see Orioles license plates, decals, etc. in the Carolinas (i.e. once a week). I think function of closest AL club, and high military component (w/metro DC roots). Part of the reason I hope there’s never a team in Charlotte...

The O's got 4 guys all trending up.  Diaz really seemed to figure it out about mid-season last year.  The California League is a notorious hitter's league so everyone was waiting to see if it would carry into AA this year.  It has.  The only thing missing is the power that will come as he matures.  

Kremer is having a great year and had a nice debut at his new level.  Bannon has been tearing up the Cal League and turning heads.  Those who follow the minors closely know how well Pop has pitched this year.  He's going to move up fast in the pen if he keeps pitching the way he has this season.  The Dodgers needed a spot on the 40 man roster for Manny so Valera will be a good on-base guy for your AAA team and a decent utility guy for the O's until they upgrade.

The Dodgers dealt from an area of depth when it came to Diaz.  The Dodgers have Toles, Verdugo, Peters plus Joc, Puig, Kemp, Taylor, Kike, and Bellinger who can handle outfield duties.  No one was eager to move Diaz.  We hope he does well for the O's.  

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeDodger said:

The O's got 4 guys all trending up.  Diaz really seemed to figure it out about mid-season last year.  The California League is a notorious hitter's league so everyone was waiting to see if it would carry into AA this year.  It has.  The only thing missing is the power that will come as he matures.  

Kremer is having a great year and had a nice debut at his new level.  Bannon has been tearing up the Cal League and turning heads.  Those who follow the minors closely know how well Pop has pitched this year.  He's going to move up fast in the pen if he keeps pitching the way he has this season.  The Dodgers needed a spot on the 40 man roster for Manny so Valera will be a good on-base guy for your AAA team and a decent utility guy for the O's until they upgrade.

The Dodgers dealt from an area of depth when it came to Diaz.  The Dodgers have Toles, Verdugo, Peters plus Joc, Puig, Kemp, Taylor, Kike, and Bellinger who can handle outfield duties.  No one was eager to move Diaz.  We hope he does well for the O's.  

Thanks for this Hawk. Hope Manny signs long-term with you guys and goes down one day as both a great Dodger and Oriole. Hope you get the chance to block the Yankees or Red Sox in the WS in the next couple years too.

Finally- did the LAD give up value for Manny? Sure. No problem when you’re a well-run organization, with incredible depth, resources and commitment/culture. You’ve earned the right to take a calculated risk like this. All the best!

50 minutes ago, Malike said:

Looking at the poll I can't believe 52 people who are actually smart folks said they wouldn't trade Manny at all. :D

Oh I definitely thought we should trade Manny- I just wasn’t convinced we would. Keep in mind I’m also an Islanders (equally inept since 1983) fan, and just saw our franchise player (Tavares) walk for zilch...

On 7/18/2018 at 4:21 PM, Malike said:

Didn't they offer him a 3 year deal anyway, though? I don't think the medical was the sticking point. As to the which pitchers have the O's gone after that other teams want, well, that's fairly easy to answer. None. Why? Maybe because they aren't getting involved in 6-7 year deals for over 20M a year with any pitcher. Those are the pitchers that people want.

Things might've turned out quite differently for 2015 and 2016 if the Orioles had signed Scherzer or Lester.  We made the ALCS with horrible starting pitching, and needed an ace.  Not only did we not get the ace, but we failed to replace Markakis or Cruz.  Adding an elite TORP, and things play out much more differently for 2015 and 2016.  

11 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Things might've turned out quite differently for 2015 and 2016 if the Orioles had signed Scherzer or Lester.  We made the ALCS with horrible starting pitching, and needed an ace.  Not only did we not get the ace, but we failed to replace Markakis or Cruz.  Adding an elite TORP, and things play out much more differently for 2015 and 2016.  

Umm, Tillman, Chen, Miggy, Norris, and Gausman we’re pretty good when we made the ALCS in 2014. Heck, Ubaldo even had a 4.81 ERA in 120IP. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014.shtml

56 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Starting next year Scherzer will be getting 42 million a year for the next 3 seasons.   Can't blame the Orioles for not beating that. 

Archived