Best baseball movies

Rene88

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

It Happens Every Spring

I can't figure out if I like this movie because it's good or if it's because I like post war black and white movies. Either way I'm a big Ray Milland fan.

14 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Yes, but it's been a long time. I liked it, but I don't really go for the combination of baseball and fantasy. (That's probably why I'm lukewarm on The Natural.) It seems like it's gotten lost over time. I do remember thinking that if someone could make a lot of money making a movie of Field of Dreams, maybe someone would take a shot with The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Other than the Mark Harris books (The Southpaw, Bank the Drum Slowly, a Ticket for a Seamstitch and It Looked Like For Ever), my favorite baseball fiction includes Ring Lardner's stuff (especially You Know Me Al) and Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop., another  novel that I think was pretty well known but seems to have slipped into obscurity. I haven't read much recent baseball fiction, but I did like  Troy Soos's baseball mysteries, which are set in the early 20th century.

Damn, someone else read " You Know Me Al"...I ordered the book specifically to read on a plane flight to Germany to visit my son stationed there. Oktoberfest was the big bonus!

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Field of Dreams wasn't really a true baseball movie. It was a fantasy that involved baseball...it was a tone poem.Bull Durham was a baseball movie.A great one. "Moneyball' was underrated , but I hated that they made Art Howe, a great baseball man and a quality person, out to be some kind of jerk. But Brad Pitt is a damned underrated actor too...great job as Beane.

I enjoyed that movie more than I thought. I wondered how true those characters were. Did Art resist Beane's ideas for the team all the while getting the credit? Did Beane really not watch the games? I wondered what that was based on? Inside information?

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I enjoyed that movie more than I thought. I wondered how true those characters were. Did Art resist Beane's ideas for the team all the while getting the credit? Did Beane really not watch the games? I wondered what that was based on? Inside information?

There was a book...

48 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I can't figure out if I like this movie because it's good or if it's because I like post war black and white movies. Either way I'm a big Ray Milland fan.

It is entertaining and goofy, but gives a decent portrayal of a professional baseball in the day...train ride, life style, commonness of the players and a Brit starring in a baseball film.

I liked the movie "Sugar" quite a bit. Here's the storyline. 

By 2008, more than 25 percent of major league baseball players were born in Latin America. At 19, Miguel "Sugar" Santos, a serious kid from the Dominican Republic, signs with Kansas City. He flies to Phoenix for tryouts and is sent to the Class A team "The Swing" in the fictional town of Bridgetown, Iowa, where he lives with a farm family. Thus begins his odyssey: leaving his mom and girlfriend; living in an alien culture; learning English; overcoming jitters; working hard; achieving early success; navigating friendships, occasional racism, and a woman's mixed signals; dealing with an injury; trying performance-enhancing drugs; and, searching for his place in the world. Will he make it to the Majors; will he play in New York?

57 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I liked the movie "Sugar" quite a bit. Here's the storyline. 

By 2008, more than 25 percent of major league baseball players were born in Latin America. At 19, Miguel "Sugar" Santos, a serious kid from the Dominican Republic, signs with Kansas City. He flies to Phoenix for tryouts and is sent to the Class A team "The Swing" in the fictional town of Bridgetown, Iowa, where he lives with a farm family. Thus begins his odyssey: leaving his mom and girlfriend; living in an alien culture; learning English; overcoming jitters; working hard; achieving early success; navigating friendships, occasional racism, and a woman's mixed signals; dealing with an injury; trying performance-enhancing drugs; and, searching for his place in the world. Will he make it to the Majors; will he play in New York?

Pretty sure the stadium used in Sugar is the same one that our 5th round pick plays in.    He’s from Iowa, and there’s  a video of him hitting a homer in the thread about the pick, that shows a large bridge out beyond RF.    It looked very familiar when I saw it.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty sure the stadium used in Sugar is the same one that our 5th round pick plays in.    He’s from Iowa, and there’s  a video of him hitting a homer in the thread about the pick, that shows a large bridge out beyond RF.    It looked very familiar when I saw it.

The Orioles are the new Kevin Bacon. 

Archived