Who is available for LF???

bigbird

Crawford is a long term solution however it is not a definite that he is available and he will cost a fortune and we will have to compete with many teams to get him.

So, because of that you have to look at other options and a Jones/Payton platoon is much better than pissing away money on a guy like Hunter.

Ive watched Jones a lot this year- at least early on when he was playing regularly- and I can't really for the life of me think why you'd want him on our team. I realize the price would be lower than a Crawford of Rios- but I really don't think he would be any upgrade over Patterson, who coincidentally- was also a Cubs washout...

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bedard although i guess you can say he isn't young anymore but he certainly isn't old either.

He's not young, and cheap is questionable. He's obviously cheap for the production he provides, but it's not like he's pre-arbitration, and he will get a good raise next year. Some GM's might not even consider him an ace yet either, some require a better track record before declaring one that. I consider him an ace though.

I would describe him as a top of the rotation pitcher in his prime who is relatively cheap.

He's not young, and cheap is questionable. He's obviously cheap for the production he provides, but it's not like he's pre-arbitration, and he will get a good raise next year. Some GM's might not even consider him an ace yet either, some require a better track record before declaring one that. I consider him an ace though.

I would describe him as a top of the rotation pitcher in his prime who is relatively cheap.

IYO, who has more value...Crawford or Bedard?

Bedard is a SP who could make the difference of a WS for a team like the Mets. I bet they would be willing to part with a lot to get him for the next 2.5years.

Yeah, I think the Mets make much more sense than the Dodgers trading Loney, Kemp, and Kershaw which doesn't really help them now. The Mets can trade guys that tey don't need now, plus their GM is more likely to make a big move like that.

IYO, who has more value...Crawford or Bedard?

Bedard, partly due to Carl not doing as well as expected this year.

And as I said, I think Bedard has tons of value, but you need to factor in that teams are much more reluctant to give up top major league ready guys right now. And the Dodgers trade that keeps being thrown around just doesn't make sense for the Dodgers.

Bedard has to have a lot more value than Crawford right now...

I am sure that Crawford would get a tremendous contract, but Bedard on the open market right now would be worth a mint. With the price people are paying for pitching right now, even 2 years of pitching would be worth more than Crawford.

Though I think you have to factor in time under control and age. Though you could factor out the difference in age by saying that pitchers generally pitch at a plateau whereas batters peak.

Even factoring that in, I have to give the edge to Bedard as having more value. The market sets the price, and the price is high.

Guest rochester
Just because a couple guys on a messageboard think Bedard is worth the sun and the moon doesn't make it so.

Dave:

I have to respectfully disagree here....Bedard will generate a LOT of interest at the deadline (if he is out there) as he will be the piece of the puzzle (read: Mets?) that can put a team over the top this year and for the next 2.

I don't believe that he has hit his peak either...

Dave:

I have to respectfully disagree here....Bedard will generate a LOT of interest at the deadline (if he is out there) as he will be the piece of the puzzle (read: Mets?) that can put a team over the top this year and for the next 2.

I don't believe that he has hit his peak either...

IMO the Mets are the most likely team to give two highly-regarded, ML-ready prospects for Bedard -- one an OF (Milledge or Gomez) and one a pitcher (Pelfrey or Humber).

In fact they're probably the only team willing to go that high.

You know, when I saw that Bigbird started a thread about this and that it was 13 pages long and still going I was really hoping for some nice juicy insider stuff. The back and forth between SG and Davearm (mostly) is entertaining enough, but dang.

IMO the Mets are the most likely team to give two highly-regarded, ML-ready prospects for Bedard -- one an OF (Milledge or Gomez) and one a pitcher (Pelfrey or Humber).

In fact they're probably the only team willing to go that high.

OK-the latest is Kemp and Billingsly/Broxton for a rental of Buehrle--even after tonite Bedard is worth more.

OK-the latest is Kemp and Billingsly/Broxton for a rental of Buehrle--even after tonite Bedard is worth more.

Where are you getting that from? The article posted earlier in this thread said the Dodgers won't even trade Kemp for Buehrle.

I think that we need to keep Bedard. I know that he will be able to bring in some good prospects, but they are just that- prospects. If we trade him, we are essentially giving up on next year, because who will be our top-of-the-rotation guy? Pitching wins championships. (EXAMPLE A: NEW YORK YANKEES)

BTW- Chris Ray really pitched well against the White Sox tonight. Good for him for rebounding strong (3 batters- 3 K's).

LOL at "the latest". The latest from who, some stoned Sox fan?

Buehrle will stay right where he is if that's Williams' asking price.

Archived