Kakes (Markakis) 2nd on OF All Star Voting in NL

Rene88

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I already made the point.

Snider: .716 career OPS going into 2015, .776 in 2014.    Was at .663 for the O’s in 2015.

Young: .742 career OPS going into 2015, .779 in 2014.    Was at .628 for the O’s in 2015.

Similar story for every single corner OF they used in 2015.     When you roll six dice, you don’t expect to roll six one’s.    That’s essentially what happened.     I’m not saying it was a spectacular group, but the O’s rightly should have expected them to do better.   Probably 60-70 OPS points better, as a group, than they did.    

And they also "rightly expected" that Nelson Cruz would never be able to keep up his WAR over a four year deal or that there would be no way Nick would be an All Star in the fourth year of his deal, etc. etc.    And they also placed a lesser business value on Nick's "outside the WAR" appeal to many of us as a lifetime Oriole, fan favorite, etc.   Not enough for them to go for one more year apparently, anyways.     Sometimes "right expectations" are also called "conventional wisdom."   Which is a problem at times for lots of businesses.   And which is seen in their current attendance woes.      

I am less forgiving of this regime, I admit, and probably more cranky in general as a customer towards the individuals running the team (and it is hard to find out exactly who that is too in many situations) who do make a lot of money to make these choices.  It is hard for me to say, even though my rational mind knows this is likely true....  "they made the right choice, it just turned out badly"  

It may well be the case,  but I am just less rational about it than I am in other business decisions I make.   My fan mode tends to be usually ..." it turned out badly, I am not interested in the good reasons why it went south....you're fired... next"  mode...lol.   

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And they also "rightly expected" that Nelson Cruz would never be able to keep up his WAR over a four year deal or that there would be no way Nick would be an All Star in the fourth year of his deal, etc. etc.    And they also placed a lesser business value on Nick's "outside the WAR" appeal to many of us as a lifetime Oriole, fan favorite, etc.   Not enough for them to go for one more year apparently, anyways.     Sometimes "right expectations" are also called "conventional wisdom."   Which is a problem at times for lots of businesses.   And which is seen in their current attendance woes.      

I am less forgiving of this regime, I admit, and probably more cranky in general as a customer towards the individuals running the team (and it is hard to find out exactly who that is too in many situations) who do make a lot of money to make these choices.  It is hard for me to say, even though my rational mind knows this is likely true....  "they made the right choice, it just turned out badly"  

It may well be the case,  but I am just less rational about it than I am in other business decisions I make.   My fan mode tends to be usually ..." it turned out badly, I am not interested in the good reasons why it went south....you're fired... next"  mode...lol.   

But you have to admit they defied "conventional wisdom" when they signed Davis to that deal.

And it that case conventional wisdom was right.

So Nick Markakis was punted and he's aged very well.

Chris Davis was retained and he's aged historically bad.

One wonders how the team would be if those two decisions were reversed.  For one, no Gerardo Parra trade.  Also Trumbo and/or Mancini would be playing 1B.

Joe Angel is getting pretty gutsy with his tenure here.  Yesterday Hunter said something about how the O's were playing the Braves soon and how it would be nice to see Nick Markakis, who was having a good season, and Angel responded:

"I wonder how his neck surgery turned out?"

Careful, Joe.  Please don't suffer the same fate as Jon Miller!

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Joe Angel is getting pretty gutsy with his tenure here.  Yesterday Hunter said something about how the O's were playing the Braves soon and how it would be nice to see Nick Markakis, who was having a good season, and Angel responded:

If Joe Angel gets booted, I'll be picketing outside the stadium the very next day.  They may have to call in the entire BPD to contain my rage.

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I actually love the shots he is taking.  He can feel free to keep doing it.  If we praise a team for making moves that work out, there is no harm in being critical of the ones that don't.  Maybe he doesn't care if he gets fired.....there have to be better ways to spend your days than announcing for this joke of a team. 

As for Jon Miller, the voice of my summers, I thought PA firing him was arguably one of his stupidest moves (and that is saying something).  I am glad he got to call three World Series championships for the Giants.  Announcers are fans too and its great when you get to call your own team winning the title.  Of course he did get to call our 83 title.  Our last WS appearance....back when Flashdance was a smash hit in the box office.

6 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I actually love the shots he is taking.  He can feel free to keep doing it.  If we praise a team for making moves that work out, there is no harm in being critical of the ones that don't.  Maybe he doesn't care if he gets fired.....there have to be better ways to spend your days than announcing for this joke of a team. 

As for Jon Miller, the voice of my summers, I thought PA firing him was arguably one of his stupidest moves (and that is saying something).  I am glad he got to call three World Series championships for the Giants.  Announcers are fans too and its great when you get to call your own team winning the title.  Of course he did get to call our 83 title.  Our last WS appearance....back when Flashdance was a smash hit in the box office.

I used to work with Jon Miller's daughter at a bookstore in Towson.  Oh man, does Jon Miller's family dislike Peter Angelos.

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I used to work with Jon Miller's daughter at a bookstore in Towson.  Oh man, does Jon Miller's family dislike Peter Angelos.

They have plenty of competition, or company.

When is the last time anyone --  any journalist media, any fan posting on a website, any radio or TV announcer, anyone in MLB, anyone in the Orioles organization, anyone at all -- publicly said anything positive about Peter Angelos as the owner of the Orioles?

24 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

They have plenty of competition, or company.

When is the last time anyone --  any journalist media, any fan posting on a website, any radio or TV announcer, anyone in MLB, anyone in the Orioles organization, anyone at all -- publicly said anything positive about Peter Angelos as the owner of the Orioles?

Anyone not named Brady?

56 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Anyone not named Brady?

OK, then, Brady has said nice things about Peter Angelos. Maybe Buck, too. But lately? When's the last time either of them said anything about the stubborn old fool?

It's a different point, but so far as I can tell nobody -- including Brady and Buck -- has said a word about any contact or communication with the Angeloses for a while. That's the source of my suspicion, which I posted about a day or two ago, that Peter Angelos's medical; condition has furthered disabled the team's capacity to make big decisions by creating confusion about who can make those decisions.. When Castro was rumored to be dead or close to it, he would make periodic cameo appearances to reassure the public he was still functional. Peter Angelos either can't do that, or just doesn't care enough about his "public" -- the Orioles' fan base, or what's left of it -- to bother.

14 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

OK, then, Brady has said nice things about Peter Angelos. Maybe Buck, too. But lately? When's the last time either of them said anything about the stubborn old fool?

It's a different point, but so far as I can tell nobody -- including Brady and Buck -- has said a word about any contact or communication with the Angeloses for a while. That's the source of my suspicion, which I posted about a day or two ago, that Peter Angelos's medical; condition has furthered disabled the team's capacity to make big decisions by creating confusion about who can make those decisions.. When Castro was rumored to be dead or close to it, he would make periodic cameo appearances to reassure the public he was still functional. Peter Angelos either can't do that, or just doesn't care enough about his "public" -- the Orioles' fan base, or what's left of it -- to bother.

Love the Castro comparison

Archived