What do we think of Dylan Bundy?

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why would you NOW trade Bundy after he's showing us the only quality pitching the franchise has at this level? What am I missing?

It's a mathematical equation.  Can we compete with Bundy in his controllable years?  It's possible.  But its also quite possible that he is the most valuable true chip we have.  I wouldn't give him away, and would prefer to keep him if our rebuild slots for a window open in 2020...but Im gonna listen.

If a contender wants to unload for a SP...I'm open.

5 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think the O's have to be open to trading anyone. Bundy will likely be gone via FA before we compete again. It's better to move a player a year early, then a year late.

That’s where I am.   To me, nobody’s untouchable.    It’s just a matter of whether the return is good enough.    

Just now, Frobby said:

That’s where I am.   To me, nobody’s untouchable.    It’s just a matter of whether the return is good enough.    

That's always my worry. Not a dig at DD but, I am always worried about trading for prospects. It's almost as much of a crap shoot as the draft. Can we get AM back just to make those trades ?

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good news is that I don't think he's hit his ceiling and he can get better.  Maybe he can get to that true ace status.  But I can't shake those terrible outings.  I'll stand firm on that, he can look like an ace on some nights and look terrible the next.  

I expect the Orioles malaise to damage the surface stats of the front four once we thin out the bullpen and trade Manny.  Unfortunately, we can't sim past the last 95 games and go to 2019.  They're all going to have to wear it more than they would on a better team, but at least they'll earn Buck nugget foxhole points while doing so.  I deeply regret having Alex Cobb in AL Only.

The bad patch did put to rest any Mussina daydreams, and now I'm resting on Boddicker as who I hope he can become, going for something like 15 WAR in a 5-year run, and someone you are proud to throw in October if the team is good enough to get there.

I don't think now is the time to trade him - he needs to show MLB he can hold up for six months, and he'll still have plenty of club control if he has to become 2019's Manny.  I already think downballot this July that negotiations on Britton, and possibly Givens/Schoop/Gausman if we cut deeper, are going to be a lot of water for leadership to carry.

I hope Jones, Brach and O'Day find nice homes, but they'll be more like Jay Bruce last August - a steady regular at full ticket price won't get much back.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Here is an idea, extend him. 

Other than Davis the books are pretty clean. 

He is the right guy for this, and a tactic I've seen before when small market clubs have to let franchise players go.  Felipe Vazquez's extension coming about the same time as the McCutchen and Cole trades was no accident.

54 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

He is the right guy for this, and a tactic I've seen before when small market clubs have to let franchise players go.  Felipe Vazquez's extension coming about the same time as the McCutchen and Cole trades was no accident.

Right or wrong I don’t see the Angelos family going the Astros route and totally blowing it up. 

That is why if you don’t do that you sign Bundy and Gausman to extensions.  

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why would you NOW trade Bundy after he's showing us the only quality pitching the franchise has at this level? What am I missing?

The argument for trading him is pretty simple: he is under team control thru '21, we don't have the bats and/or gloves in the system to win during that time, he would bring a big return in a trade, we would be bad enough this year and maybe the next two to get Bundy caliber starters in the draft.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Right or wrong I don’t see the Angelos family going the Astros route and totally blowing it up. 

That is why if you don’t do that you sign Bundy and Gausman to extensions.  

I agree with this, but I wouldn't extend Gausman. I don't see the upside there that I used to. Without upside he's just an average pitcher.

I continue to think he's a promising young pitcher who, while probably not a future TOR guy, can be a good starting pitcher for us over the next several years.  Leave him alone and work on getting some guys that can hit and play defense to help him out.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m just saying that the good nights outnumber the bad ones by a pretty good margin.    It’s not like it’s a 1-1 tradeoff.

But otherwise, I agree with you.    Bundy needs to learn to limit the damage on the days when he doesn’t have it.    The same was true last year when he had 19 quality starts in 28 outings, and yet  allowed 6+ earned runs five times.

By the way, without that one ridiculous outing where Bundy allowed 7 ER without recording an out, his ERA would be 2.90 right now.   That one outing cost him 0.77 on his ERA.    The bright side, I suppose, is he’ll probably never have an outing quite that bad again.    

That reminds me it's been quite a while since the notorious Frobby jinx has been invoked!

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Dylan is awesome.  It's a shame we're wasting his young, controllable years on a terrible team.  With 3.5 years left of control, I think he has a ton of trade value.

Same predicament the Mets are in.

Archived