Grayson Rodriguez interview

Frobby

Did anyone catch the Grayson Rodriguez interview during the game last night?    What a nice, polite young man.    He must have said “yes, sir” to Gary Thorne about ten times.     He said he likes to throw hard and live down in the zone, and his big goal for this year is to work on command of all three of his secondary pitches.    I’ll be rooting hard for this kid to succeed!

Here’s a link to the video, and a story.   https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-sign-1st-round-draft-pick/c-280511724

Rooting hard for him, too.  Seems like a good kid.

Glad he said he felt that there's always room to work on command and command of off-speed pitches.

But I'd gladly trade up niceness and politeness for someone who can win games and make a difference.  I'd take a team full of Ty Cobbs if it meant 95 wins a year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Did anyone catch the Grayson Rodriguez interview during the game last night?    What a nice, polite young man.    He must have said “yes, sir” to Gary Thorne about ten times.     He said he likes to throw hard and live down in the zone, and his big goal for this year is to work on command of all three of his secondary pitches.    I’ll be rooting hard for this kid to succeed!

Here’s a link to the video, and a story.   https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-sign-1st-round-draft-pick/c-280511724

I heard it, probably the best part of the game last night, ok not probably!.  He mentioned his dad and how he pushed him to keep working, even when he didn't want too.  Gotta credit the parents there some too, definitely seems like a great young kid.   Also gave me a perspective of what it must be like for someone who truly still is a kid to suddenly be swept up by this life (money, fame and a chance to potentially perform your craft at the highest level), he also said he really didn't expect to be drafted this high.  I'll be rooting hard for him. 

I specifically liked when they asked him if he remembered a time when he struggled...and he had to go back to 8th grade! You could tell it took Palmer every ounce of his restraint to not say something sarcastic. 

I'm rooting for him, but after watching Rodriquez's delivery I have some serious concerns. There's way too much going on for it be repeatable on a consistent basis. Hopefully the coaches can set him straight. 

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I specifically liked when they asked him if he remembered a time when he struggled...and he had to go back to 8th grade! You could tell it took Palmer every ounce of his restraint to not say something sarcastic. 

I'm rooting for him, but after watching Rodriquez's delivery I have some serious concerns. There's way too much going on for it be repeatable on a consistent basis. Hopefully the coaches can set him straight. 

Well the Orioles organization has a long track record of developing high caliber starting pitchers so we have that to look forward to. (Goes to find the sarcasm emoji)

19 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm curious as far as what you see that is particularly complicated or inconsistent about his delivery?

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well the Orioles organization has a long track record of developing high caliber starting pitchers so we have that to look forward to. (Goes to find the sarcasm emoji)

Do we even need to sarcasm emoji anymore? I just assume sarcasm and am pleasantly surprised when it isn't these days. ;) 

18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm curious as far as what you see that is particularly complicated or inconsistent about his delivery?

Yea, its really not complicated at all, just very slow.  And he doesn't use his lower body as much as he could.  The fact that he can reach 98 with so little involvement from the lower half is a testament to how special this kid's arm is.

I'd image that is what we'll be focusing with him on?  If he can generate some more force from his lower half he could be special.

That's not to say I'm holding my breath though.  Rooting hard for him of course, but not super optimistic.

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Yea, its really not complicated at all, just very slow.  And he doesn't use his lower body as much as he could.  The fact that he can reach 98 with so little involvement from the lower half is a testament to how special this kid's arm is.

I'd image that is what we'll be focusing with him on?  If he can generate some more force from his lower half he could be special.

That's not to say I'm holding my breath though.  Rooting hard for him of course, but not super optimistic.

That's just a tall and fall delivery, he could use the lower half more, but it's not a deal breaker. The front view is a bit misleading IMO, his arm action is slow, but his arm is on time, it's in a good position when his front foot gets down. If he uses his lower half more, he'll need to change his arm action as well because that'll mean either pushing further down the mound, or getting down the mound faster.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Me too Frobby. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

That's just a tall and fall delivery, he could use the lower half more, but it's not a deal breaker. The front view is a bit misleading IMO, his arm action is slow, but his arm is on time, it's in a good position when his front foot gets down. If he uses his lower half more, he'll need to change his arm action as well because that'll mean either pushing further down the mound, or getting down the mound faster.

Makes sense.  In that case we will definitely make him use his lower half and cause him to completely lose his arm slot!

And yea, the action as he loads up to deliver is very slow, but then the arm does explode and you're right, he does get on top of it.  From the front view it kind of reminds me of one of those pitching machines in a batting cage that catapults the ball at you. 

19 minutes ago, joelala said:

I hope he turns out special. 

Also to the OP, yes I did see it and he's super likeable and seems very poised.  It was encouraging.

Agreed. Good luck to the young man. ? 

Archived