Can the Orioles win 21 more games this season

atomic

2 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

They need 35 more wins to tie the 1988 team that went 54-107.  That's about 2 "W's" a week.  That's not asking too much and should be doable.

Chris Davis having a .600 OPS is not asking too much but isn't going to happen anymore than this team winning 54 games. 

3 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

They need 35 more wins to tie the 1988 team that went 54-107.  That's about 2 "W's" a week.  That's not asking too much and should be doable.

Are you sure about that?  Not with more games slated against the Yankees and Sox.  If they play, on average, 6 games a week and win two of them, they'd be playing .33 ball.  But we're over a third of the way into the season and they're at .28. 

There's 96 games left, they'd need to win 35 of them.  I don't see how they can do it.  This is before they trade Manny and others.  Our inept offense is only going to get worse, if that's possible.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you sure about that?  Not with more games slated against the Yankees and Sox.  If they play, on average, 6 games a week and win two of them, they'd be playing .33 ball.  But we're over a third of the way into the season and they're at .28. 

There's 96 games left, they'd need to win 35 of them.  I don't see how they can do it.  This is before they trade Manny and others.  Our inept offense is only going to get worse, if that's possible.  

But also be playing teams that might also be sellers or just rebuilding or decimated by injuries.Mets,White Sox;Rays,Jays,Royals,Rangers and Marlins.But really a bad season either way if they lose 98 or 108.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

But also be playing teams that might also be sellers or just rebuilding or decimated by injuries.Mets,White Sox;Rays,Jays,Royals,Rangers and Marlins.But really a bad season either way if they lose 98 or 108.

I am thinking of 120 losses not 108 or 98.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I don't know  if they can.  If we get swept by the Marlins I would say we aren't capable.   If Machado and Jones are traded the line-up is basically a bad Triple A team at that point.  

It's at that point now. To answer the question I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

Wins and losses don't matter at this point. We're horrendous on the field. Moving forward what this season is about is how the front office handles the rebuild and nothing else.

I agree in principle, but wins and losses do affect the bottom line. If they want anyone to attend the games they have to try to improve the product on the field. 

I think they can win 21 more games, but it's going to be tough, especially once trades are made.

I think this will end up being the worst season in franchise history, possibly even worse than the 1911 Browns at 47-107 and .295 win pct.

22 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I think they can win 21 more games, but it's going to be tough, especially once trades are made.

I think this will end up being the worst season in franchise history, possibly even worse than the 1911 Browns at 47-107 and .295 win pct.

That John Black on the 1911 team was as bad as Chris Davis and he was their first baseman.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blackjo01.shtml

3 hours ago, SeaBird said:

It's really sobering to think that winning two games a week consistently would be a major achievement for this team.  

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, this is a fact if we trade Jones and Machado.  And yet, it is only on paper.  The same paper that had many of us believing that we could be competitive in 2018.  The mental, the attitude, the intangible stuff that seemed to matter so much to the Orioles while they over achieved, seems to be pulling back in the other direction.

I believe that as soon as we begin trading and as soon as we name a GM we will begin to be better, because we will have admitted the bottom.

Yeah, I know it's not quite that easy, but it kinda is!

Archived