30 wins or August 1?

HokieOs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

Playing off of today's 20 wins or 50 losses thread, which do you think happens first? Do we score 11 more wins between now and the end of July? Or do we limp into August with <30 wins?

They will win eleven plus games. Even without Jones, Machado, and Britton. Maybe Brach and Casner as well. 

39 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

Playing off of today's 20 wins or 50 losses thread, which do you think happens first? Do we score 11 more wins between now and the end of July? Or do we limp into August with <30 wins?

August will be here before this team wins 30. 

41 minutes ago, HokieOs said:

Well 50 loses is it. 

I still think it's impossible to sustain this level of badness for that long, especially since our pitching has not been that awful.

At SOME point, we are going to go on a tear and play .400 ball for a whole month or something like that.   A super-hot stretch of 12-18 or something, that will pump our season-win pace from the 40s all the way into the 50s.

It's gonna happen.  It has to.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

I still think it's impossible to sustain this level of badness for that long, especially since our pitching has not been that awful.

At SOME point, we are going to go on a tear and play .400 ball for a whole month or something like that.   A super-hot stretch of 12-18 or something, that will pump our season-win pace from the 40s all the way into the 50s.

It's gonna happen.  It has to.

I respectfully disagree.  I think they're already mailing it in.  Keep in mind, the roster should change.  Manny should get traded (I still have my doubts), maybe some others.  

We've seen them go on "tears" this year.  Taking two from the Mets.  The Mother's Day game outburst, then right back to sucking.  

Any bright spot has quickly been covered up with twice the amount of bad baseball.  Terrible offense that isn't changing, terrible defense.  Pitching is average, at best.  If you are going to have a dead last ranked offense, an awful defense and mediocre pitching, there's not a lot of wins on the horizon.  This season has gone way past "small sample size".  This is who they are.

That said, I think they can get closer to 30 wins by Aug 1 but I'm not betting on it.  Let's look at the schedule:

After this, we play the Nats which is usually good for us because we've seemed to have had their number for years.  Then 3 against the Braves who are good this year.  The Mariners come to town, followed by the Angels, both having strong seasons.

Into July, we get the Phillies who are respectable, then the Twins who we should be able to hold our own with.  4 games against the Yankees.  Then the Rangers, who we should be able to hold our own against, too.  All Star Break.  Jays, then BoSox, Tampa.  Last day of July is a game against the Yankees.

I don't see 11 wins there.  Not with that many games against our division and other strong teams.  

Look at it this way: that's 11 series there (and a random makeup game against the Phillies thrown in). The Orioles would have to take at least 1 game in each of those series to get to 30.  With their propensity of getting swept lately and the losing streaks, combined with the fact that they're going to trade their only bright spot or two on offense, I just don't see it happening.  

I'm starting to wonder if they'll win 30 games by the end of the season, let alone by the end of July.

This team is REAL bad, and with trades coming (hopefully), I think the only chance we may see a little better baseball is after trades and the young guys brought up bring better energy.

12 hours ago, HokieOs said:

30 wins???!!! 

Let's talk about this teams execution!

Im in favor of it... ;) 

Archived