30 wins or August 1?

HokieOs

16 hours ago, billw76 said:

I'm starting to wonder if they'll win 30 games by the end of the season, let alone by the end of July.

This team is REAL bad, and with trades coming (hopefully), I think the only chance we may see a little better baseball is after trades and the young guys brought up bring better energy.

Well, we got to 20 today.... 

In all seriousness, the team will go through a "hot streak" at some point this season. The key is how long that "hot streak" is. Do they go .500 over the course of about 15-20 games? Or do they do a bit better over the course of like 30-40 games?

For the record, I think we'll hit 30 wins somewhere around the middle of July.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with 24 wins as of July 4, things are looking slightly better that we'll be able to hit the 30 win mark before the end of July. We just have to 6-18 to get to the "magical" mark, but is playing .250 baseball a given with this bunch? Some of that may come into who is traded and when (if we trade anyone). 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

They play some teams that are not good .Twins and Rangers.So 30 should be very doable.Also Royals have same amount of losses.

And to think that Orioles-Royals was the ALCS matchup just four years ago.....

The Twins and Rangers are both really bad and those matchups hold the key to whether we get to 30 wins before August. There's seven games between those two teams (3 at home with Texas and 4 on the road with the Twins). If we can win 3 of those, then we SHOULD be able to eek out 3 more wins elsewhere.

IMO, I'd put the chances of getting to 30 wins by the end of July at about 80%.

3 hours ago, HokieOs said:

And to think that Orioles-Royals was the ALCS matchup just four years ago.....

The Twins and Rangers are both really bad and those matchups hold the key to whether we get to 30 wins before August. There's seven games between those two teams (3 at home with Texas and 4 on the road with the Twins). If we can win 3 of those, then we SHOULD be able to eek out 3 more wins elsewhere.

IMO, I'd put the chances of getting to 30 wins by the end of July at about 80%.

Do you realize there is an all-star break thrown in there? I think it will be hard for them to get to 30 wins.   They have lost 8 of their last 9.  There are 24 games left in July.  They would have to go 6-18 to make 30 wins.  And they have 8 games with the Red Sox and Yankees.  

8 hours ago, atomic said:

Do you realize there is an all-star break thrown in there? I think it will be hard for them to get to 30 wins.   They have lost 8 of their last 9.  There are 24 games left in July.  They would have to go 6-18 to make 30 wins.  And they have 8 games with the Red Sox and Yankees.  

Correct.  I don't believe we've gone 6-18 at any stretch of this season.

Wow! Including today, we have to play .300 ball the rest of the way to get to 30 wins by the end of July. That SHOULDN'T be a tall order. But it IS better than we've done on the season now. We've lost the first three to the Twins and if we end up four game swept to Minnesota..... well, I'd say it would be depressing but that's pretty much a good word to describe the whole season. Losing 3 (and maybe 4) to the Twins who have gone 3-11 in the 14 games before this series.

At least the Rangers series is at home... maybe we can win that series.

Just now, amdcpus said:

I think a better wish would be to not get swept.

I aim high! Let's get 2 out of 3!

If we get swept in that series, I don't see how we win 5 (or 6) other games in July. Not to mention, we are approaching a pace of having a worse season than the 2003 Tigers. I once thought that we might go on a 20-30 game "tear" where we go about .500, but I'm not so sure anymore as we keep getting worse as the season goes on (as if that seems possible).

On 7/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Correct.  I don't believe we've gone 6-18 at any stretch of this season.

As historically terrible as it has been, there have been stretches better than .250 ball even if it doesn't seem like it.

Games 1-24, 6-18
Games 25-48, 9-15
Games 49-72, 6-18

Rest of July
4 vs NYY
1 vs PHI
3 vs TEX
3 @ TOR
3 vs BOS
4 vs TBR
1 @ NYY

15 of 19 at home.  That's good.  Or is it?  The Orioles have lost 16 of the last 18 home games.  MY SWAG is the Orioles end the month 30-78.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:59 PM, HokieOs said:

Playing off of today's 20 wins or 50 losses thread, which do you think happens first? Do we score 11 more wins between now and the end of July? Or do we limp into August with <30 wins?

I don't see 30 wins by August 1. 

26 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't see 30 wins by August 1. 

Well, now that it looks like we are about to be four game swept by the flipping Twins, I'm now inclined to think you're right. When I originally made this post, I was being semi tongue in cheek. Now, we will have to go 6-13... Assuming we do end up with an L today.

Archived