A lot of player movement coming

wildcard

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure they can.

Ken Singleton said the other day that the league has adjusted to Davis and he has not adjusted.   

When Jimenez was have so much trouble the O's brought in a different coach to work with him - Martinez.    I think its about time for a different voice.   Coolbaugh and Buck are not getting through to him.  He has to adjust.

Singleton is a biased Yankee.  What has made the league pitchers able to adjust is that his bat speed has declined so much that he generates no homers on the exact same mistake pitches that he hit for 53 homers.  Were the pitchers just dumb back then and not able to “make adjustments” to keep Davis from sending mistakes out of the ballpark?  If there had been some adjustment available in that season, it would have been made.  Pitchers make mistakes all the time, no matter how good they are.  Davis used to hit a fair number of those mistakes out of the ballpark.  Now he gets mistake pitches and never hits them out and just hits them to lazily to the outfield. 

If Davis changes, it will be because he can no longer hit home runs even off batting practice pitches, not because of any brilliant adjustments of the league pitchers that Ken Singleton alone has picked up on.  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Singleton is a biased Yankee.  What has made the league pitchers able to adjust is that his bat speed has declined so much that he generates no homers on the exact same mistake pitches that he hit for 53 homers.  Were the pitchers just dumb back then and not able to “make adjustments” to keep Davis from sending mistakes out of the ballpark?  If there had been some adjustment available in that season, it would have been made.  Pitchers make mistakes all the time, no matter how good they are.  Davis used to hit a fair number of those mistakes out of the ballpark.  Now he gets mistake pitches and never hits them out and just hits them to lazily to the outfield. 

If Davis changes, it will be because he can no longer hit home runs even off batting practice pitches, not because of any brilliant adjustments of the league pitchers that Ken Singleton alone has picked up on.  

I very much doubt that Singleton is the only one that has picked up that he hasn't adjusted.  The whole league knows it.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

It would benefit fans on some levels to move the trade deadline up a month. I think we will be waiting until late July until we see the roster overhaul we all seem to desire. Perhaps a move here and there before then. 

Someone mentioned on here a little bit ago that they don't see Manny being traded until after the all star break because Angelos will want Manny to represent the O's and he will be the only one. I can see that happening. 

1 minute ago, andrewochs615 said:

Someone mentioned on here a little bit ago that they don't see Manny being traded until after the all star break because Angelos will want Manny to represent the O's and he will be the only one. I can see that happening. 

Well that is definitely worth the risk of injury and were in pretty good shape so it’s not like we have to trade him for anything important. 

Personally I would like to find a way to keep Peterson. He's not great but he's the best we have to back up all the IF positions. The "no backup" experiment has gone on long enough. If we need to get rid of Valencia, so be it. Once Beckham is back as the starter, Valencia really has no value except for his bat, but we already have Trumbo and Mancini (and I don't think we will option Mancini).

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Personally I would like to find a way to keep Peterson. He's not great but he's the best we have to back up all the IF positions. The "no backup" experiment has gone on long enough. If we need to get rid of Valencia, so be it. Once Beckham is back as the starter, Valencia really has no value except for his bat, but we already have Trumbo and Mancini (and I don't think we will option Mancini).

I don't know. It seems we could find another sub .200 hitter who is a poor fielder at multiple positions. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I really don't care what they do or don't do for this year in terms of keeping players like Peterson on the roster. Going forward, I see Beckham as the utility infielder. I don't think we can count on him as a starter (again, this year sure since we're 20-50, it can't really get much worse can it?).

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Thank you. I mentioned that I think after the all star game (Jul 17) to the trade deadline (Jul 31) is when I think will be the busiest. 

39 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I really don't care what they do or don't do for this year in terms of keeping players like Peterson on the roster. Going forward, I see Beckham as the utility infielder. I don't think we can count on him as a starter (again, this year sure since we're 20-50, it can't really get much worse can it?).

Beckham was a 3+ win player just a year ago. Sure, he got off to a bad start but I'm not going to judge 23 games, learning a new position and probably playing while hurt too harshly.  

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

This is a ridiculous reason not to trade Manny now if there is a worthy offer on the table.  No one is going to care five years from now that Manny was the Orioles all star representative in 2018.

If Manny shatters his wrist on a HBP or tears his ACL, you get nothing for him.

Ty Wigginton was the Orioles lone all star one year.  I think the organization can survive with Jones or Bundy being the 2018 all star representative.  

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is a ridiculous reason not to trade Manny now if there is a worthy offer on the table.  No one is going to care five years from now that Manny was the Orioles all star representative in 2018.

If Manny shatters his wrist on a HBP or tears his ACL, you get nothing for him.

Ty Wigginton was the Orioles lone all star one year.  I think the organization can survive with Jones or Bundy being the 2018 all star representative.  

No, but if he goes to another team, each hit he gets, somebody will post something negative in OH about why the Orioles didn't keep him.

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Doesn't matter that Ken is a Yankee now. What he says makes sense. CD couldn't hit little league pitching now. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I predict Manny plays out the season as an Oriole.

Peter is against mid-season trades, and it appears that he will just let him for a comp pick.

The above is not what I believe the best course of action is.

But, just my opinion on what Peter will do.

I am afraid you are right.

Archived