Manny would extend with Cubs

Dark Helmet

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

They're in it and they're weak on offense. They've been terrible for six years - their Front Office might be a bit more aggressive than a typical team. Any package with Sixto Sanchez probably gets it done for the O's.

I know I'm being greedy, but I would want Sixto and De Los Santos.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I have a hard time believing that Manny will wind up with the Cubs.  Any contending team hoping to acquire Manny for the stretch run will mostly want to trade prospects, not players who are currently helping the team at the major league level.  The Cubs don't have any highly rated prospects.   I think the Cubs would be willing to part with Addison Russell or Javier Baez (whoever's regular lineup spot Manny would take) but I think other teams could offer more than Russell and whatever prospects the Cubs have to offer. 

I was thinking the same thing. Looking at the Cubs minor-league system... yikes. You're telling me we don't have at least one guy in our system with a higher upside than Alzolay? 

I would hope they'd look at the teams with the best farm systems as prime trading partners... I honestly don't see anyone in Chicago's system that excites me at all (just judging by their stats). 

The Diamondbacks on the other hand? Sign me up. 

13 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's hard to imagine them parting with both Baez and Happ. That would be incredible get for us if they are though. Happ and Russell are probably more realistic ceiling in terms of return value. 

This just isn'trealistic. If the Os got Russell by himself they should be absolutely thrilled. 3.5years of a kid who put up a 3.3fWAR at age 22, was dealing with both shoulder and foot injuries and off the field stuff all last year, and now has rebounded  and on pace for a 4.8fWAR season. So far Manny has only been half win better player than Addison this year, it's just not worth it on the Cub's end. Happ I could see happen, Russell/Baez/Almora, nah.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

This just isn'trealistic. If the Os got Russell by himself they should be absolutely thrilled. 3.5years of a kid who put up a 3.3fWAR at age 22, was dealing with both shoulder and foot injuries and off the field stuff all last year, and now has rebounded  and on pace for a 4.8fWAR season. So far Manny has only been half win better player than Addison this year, it's just not worth it on the Cub's end. Happ I could see happen, Russell/Baez/Almora, nah.

I see you're responding to all my posts. First off, I never suggested Almora be part of any deal. Why would I? He's the reason Manny would hypothetically want to stay in Chicago. And Russell / Happ for Machado and maybe a bullpen arm is not an unrealistic expectation. You're overvaluing Russell. He's a plus defender and below average bat. Those types of SS' are a dying breed in this era. And he'll never sniff a 4+ WAR again. The power's never coming and he has no speed. His 2016 season was an outlier. 

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I see you're responding to all my posts. First off, I never suggested Almora be part of any deal. Why would I? He's the reason Manny would hypothetically want to stay in Chicago. And Russell / Happ for Machado and maybe a bullpen arm is not an unrealistic expectation. You're overvaluing Russell. He's a plus defender and below average bat. Those types of SS' are a dying breed in this era. And he'll never sniff a 4+ WAR again. The power's never coming and he has no speed. His 2016 season was an outlier. 

Already half way there in only 63 games this season.

11 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Eh, Franco kinda sucks.  If they are going for it this year, they may swing a deal for Manny.

Maybe, but he's better then Crawford (at 3B). I get your point though. Just trying to point out that their need at 3B isn't dire. 

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

No he has no speed, but I think its a bit early to say concretely that the power is never coming.  That 2016 season was pretty remarkable, and the kid is only 24 now (was 22 when it happened.)  I think Russell and a prospect would be an amazing trade for us.  Don't think we'd be able to squeeze Happ out of them too.  Hope I'm wrong and you're right though.

9 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

This isn't logical.  If this were true, the Cubs would not only never do it, but they would have zero interest in Machado at all, since they have Bryant at 3B.  

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Cubs reliever Brandon Morrow just went on the DL after having back spasms while taking off his pants.

This is one area I believe the Cubs will have interest in. Their bullpen has been amazing so far. With that said, Wilson is not the most dependable in high pressure situations so adding another dominating lefty would be nice.

17 hours ago, Number5 said:

This isn't logical.  If this were true, the Cubs would not only never do it, but they would have zero interest in Machado at all, since they have Bryant at 3B.  

Agreed.  The Cubs' interest in Machado should be tepid at best right now.

It would be interesting to know how pro scouts assess Machado's defense at SS.  Obviously the metrics we as fans see look pretty awful.  Curious what the opinions within baseball are.

If other FOs view Machado as the J.D. Martinez of shortstops, then that trade comp looks more and more spot on.

Archived