You have to admit, we picked a pretty good year to be horrible

Frobby

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is a good year because it is the last year for Dan and Buck.  We have a better chance of a real tear down.

as long as they bring in better pieces, and not worse pieces, like before Dan and Buck.

We had a boat of mediocre managers and GMs, because this ownership doesnt make the best decisions.

So why should that be any different now?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is a good year because it is the last year for Dan and Buck.  We have a better chance of a real tear down.

A real tear down means a commitment from ownership we have yet to see.  

I don’t know why DD isn’t capable of handling it myself even though I know his days are numbered  

17 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I think what will determine whether this was truly a year to be horrible is next year’s draft class. 

My thinking exactly. 

if they can get a #1 SP or a replacement for Machado then its probably a good year.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they will ignore it, but I’m skeptical that we’re going to get a return for our players that drastically accelerates how long the rebuild will take.   I haven’t forgotten the 2000 sell-off and how little it yielded.  This idea of selling only the players on expiring contracts and holding on to everyone else is foolish.   

Just to be clear, my point was that if the downturn had started, say right after the AS break last season, there might have been less enthusiasm for one last push this year and the rebuild would have had last offseason to use as a head start.  The collapse would have had to be as bad as this year though, because I've always believed that 2018 as the final competitive year with this core was baked into the plan maybe as much as 5-6 years ago.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Well that just means less teams who want to buy our players at the deadline.  

And more teams looking to sell. These good clubs have more options than usual to upgrade so the Orioles better not be thinking they can wait until 7/31 to do these deals. They'll be left holding the bag or getting a lot less in return than they should.

2 minutes ago, vab said:

And more teams looking to sell. These good clubs have more options than usual to upgrade so the Orioles better not be thinking they can wait until 7/31 to do these deals. They'll be left holding the bag or getting a lot less in return than they should.

Luckily some teams have already sold everything that hasn't been nailed down. 

The situation in the NL is different. I count just five teams that have no prospect of competing for the post-season (Marlins, Reds, Mets, Padres and Reds), though a couple more may slip into non-contention in July. Even the top teams aren't assured of qualifying.

That's where the market for our guys is likely to be. 

Archived