Adam holds all the cards

atomic

For an org that prides itself on treating its people well and out-opportunity'ing others, the question to Adam is "Do you want to?", not "Will you?".  Jay Bruce last year got a 30th round college pitcher from the 2016 draft pitching relief in the low minors.  There's no substantial surplus value at $17M/year, and that's the coin of the realm.  It's also what it looks like when a long-term contract for a star works out well - the end of it is only a little bit underwater.

Reading the last part of the article, though it was a little hard to interpret what he was saying, it sounds as if Jones doesn’t really believe his defensive metrics.   I do.    I’ll never question his professionalism and work ethic, but time has taken a heavy toll on his fielding.    Just last night in the decisive 8th inning there was a line single to CF where Jones just froze in his tracks and let it land about 15 feet in front of him.    I see a lot of that these days.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Reading the last part of the article, though it was a little hard to interpret what he was saying, it sounds as if Jones doesn’t really believe his defensive metrics.   I do.    I’ll never question his professionalism and work ethic, but time has taken a heavy toll on his fielding.    Just last night in the decisive 8th inning there was a line single to CF where Jones just froze in his tracks and let it land about 15 feet in front of him.    I see a lot of that these days.   

Hard to separate just this year from the rest of his career. Do you believe the metrics for the majority of his career which shows him below average? Except for 2008 ( his first year as an Oriole) and ‘14-‘15 he hasn’t been that good. 

I always felt his arm was solid and he was better going into the gap than coming in or going back. He’s never been good with balls near the wall (save his spectacular catch in the WBC) and he often played too shallow which hurt his ability on balls that didn’t play to his strengths.

I definitely have always appreciated his work ethic and his relative consistency on offense.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Hard to separate just this year from the rest of his career. Do you believe the metrics for the majority of his career which shows him below average? Except for 2008 ( his first year as an Oriole) and ‘14-‘15 he hasn’t been that good. 

I always felt his arm was solid and he was better going into the gap than coming in or going back. He’s never been good with balls near the wall (save his spectacular catch in the WBC) and he often played too shallow which hurt his ability on balls that didn’t play to his strengths.

I definitely have always appreciated his work ethic and his relative consistency on offense.

As alluded to in another thread, I think Adam has always thought himself faster than he actually is, which is why he plays/played shallow. He use to be fairly quick and could handle some of the balls he had to go back on. Now he greatly overestimates how quickly he can get to the ball without seemimgly putting a lot of effort into it, to the point it seems like he gives up on them, even when catchable.

That's the most frustrating thing to me. I mean, you never want to play a single into a double, but there are plenty where I feel like if Adam really reads, then charges the ball, it could easily be caught, rather than his saunter routine he does.

Archived