Olney and Ravech: O's are hemorrhaging Machado's trade value

Greg Pappas

I'm just afraid the O's will run out of time getting trades done before the deadline.  The O's have a little over a month to get trades done, and all major trades have to be approved by Angelos as far as I know.  I would much rather the O's made a couple of trades before the All-Star game.  I have little faith the O's can get one trade done with limited time, see Britton trade last deadline.  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm just afraid the O's will run out of time getting trades done before the deadline.  The O's have a little over a month to get trades done, and all major trades have to be approved by Angelos as far as I know.  I would much rather the O's made a couple of trades before the All-Star game.  I have little faith the O's can get one trade done with limited time, see Britton trade last deadline.  

Me too, though I'm hoping the extreme nature of our collapse this year has made it abundantly clear to all in the FO that this team is way more than a Tim Beckham acquisition away from sneaking into that second WC spot. 

My biggest fear though is that Angelos will be too stubborn to accept a fair market value return for Machado. :deadhorse:

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't have a hopelessly optimistic lookout if that is what you mean.  I call it like I see it and I defend my positions.

Now how about that deal? 

No you repeat the same thing over and over again. It is like the Hader trade that gets posted on here a hundred times.  We get it you stated you opinion on the same thing 100 times about something that happened years ago.  Why do you need to keep repeating it?  You can't change the past. We don't need to have the same point driven home 5 times a day for 2 years. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

No you repeat the same thing over and over again. It is like the Hader trade that gets posted on here a hundred times.  We get it you stated you opinion on the same thing 100 times about something that happened years ago.  Why do you need to keep repeating it?  You can't change the past. We don't need to have the same point driven home 5 times a day for 2 years. 

You are right, we should all stop posting.

Just close the board down.

How about you just go ahead and put me on /ignore if you don't want to hear from me?

Simple enough solution to what you evidently see as a problem.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Yes analytics play an increasingly important role in evaluating baseball players but to think they have completely removed emotion from the process, then please explain the success of Scott Boras and his ilk.  And if you think analytics can remove chance from the equation, ask the Dodgers if they agree.  And if you think you can get anything other than a lowball offer in a negotiation where you tell the other side you won't walk away, then give Bill my best and I hope you have better luck getting an extra stroke or two off him on the first tee.

It sounds like you don't know this, but Scott Boras relies very heavily on analytics on his presentation of his free agents.  This article below gives you a feel for what Boras does in terms of analyzing player data, and how MLB teams rely on analytics to determine player value.

====

When agent Scott Boras was selling free-agent pitcher Max Scherzer to teams this winter, he had an information edge at his disposal: a $7 million computer system and accompanying database operated by two-dozen staffers, including numerous engineers from MIT and other elite universities.

Boras’s team presented suitors with a nearly 50-page binder on Scherzer. One of the concoctions within was “The Pitching Odometer,” a system that attempts to measure a pitcher’s wear and tear by monitoring workload rather than age; Boras’s team had conducted a study that showed that throwing at least 185 innings per season between the ages of 26 and 29, as Scherzer had, “seems to be a footprint for durability,” portending longevity deep into one’s thirties. Boras also noted that Scherzer’s career strikeout rate — 9.6 per nine innings, the highest among active starters with at least 1,200 innings entering the season — was the result of his “pitch variation rather than raw velo.”

As MLB franchises have begun dedicating more resources to in-house analytics, the dynamic for marketplace negotiations has shifted. Few agencies are able to woo teams with stats that those teams don’t already possess, making Boras and his considerable investment an exception in the industry. Today, only the largest and most financially robust agencies can afford to seek data that clubs don’t already possess. And even then, it’s not always enough.

“I think there’s less selling of your players because of technology,” one competing agent says. “[Teams] know more about our player than we do. They’ve got 20 more people working on the stats and sabermetrics.”

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-agents-shifting-analytics-edge-scott-boras-caa/

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Oh FFS.  The whole board is the same posts over and over again.  

-Angelos sucks

-Buck Sucks

-Brady Sucks

-DD kinda sucks but everyone else has made him worse

-Davis sucks

-All things Manny related

-Starting rotation is a problem

-Can't score runs

-There's a minor leaguer that had a good 3 game stretch, how come he's not on a prospect list?

-Am I bad fan for not caring this year?

-Predictions

-Rebuilding 

-Hader trade

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Me too, though I'm hoping the extreme nature of our collapse this year has made it abundantly clear to all in the FO that this team is way more than a Tim Beckham acquisition away from sneaking into that second WC spot. 

My biggest fear though is that Angelos will be too stubborn to accept a fair market value return for Machado. :deadhorse:

Their is an acceptable number of suitors to get a quality 3-4 player return.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782667-potential-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-manny-machado

Not getting a trade done by the deadline is a colossal screw up.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Their is an acceptable number of suitors to get a quality 3-4 player return.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782667-potential-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-manny-machado

Not getting a trade done by the deadline is a colossal screw up.

I heard that nine teams were interested in the offseason.

No offers were deemed sufficient.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the deadline was June 30 th that might be a problem. To me someone will blink between now and the July deadline.

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If the deadline was June 30 th that might be a problem. To me someone will blink between now and the July deadline.

I pray you are right. 

And I pray Jacob Schafer of Bleacher Report is right about his valuation of Manny, cuz he has him valued way higher than I do right now judging by most of these packages he's proposing.  They seem like realistic trades in a vacuum, but once you factor in the money and the team control aspects, I don't see any of them happening.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They also thought they were going to compete and that any potential trade had to move the needle on the 2018 product.  We live in an entirely different world now.  Competition will determine the return, and there is a lot of it.

8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

They also thought they were going to compete and that any potential trade had to move the needle on the 2018 product.  We live in an entirely different world now.  Competition will determine the return, and there is a lot of it.

Excellent point. 

Good thing Angelos wasn't in the negotiations with Mayor Schaefer and the state of Maryland that got Camden Yards built or there wouldn't be one.    He has that nitpicking, I am a lawyer on steroids approach to EVERY single thing.  Micromanagement out the wazoo!  Getting a trade done with Manny, like everything else with this dysfunctional organization, is a long, drawn out saga that inevitably ends up worse than if it had just been decided quite some time ago.  

Archived