15 Consecutive American League Losses

SteveA

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some optimism:

We have been somewhat unlucky if you take our Pythagorean expectations into account.   So while we are currently a 23 win team,  our Pythag would suggest we should be a 27 win team!  Which would make us on pace to tie the 1988 team..........so maybe things will turn around!

47 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The last team to finish June 30+ games out of first we're the 1979 Blue Jays, a third year expansion tram that was 30 back of the Orioles.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Goes to show how terrible the NL is.  We might be closer to .500 if we were in the NL.  Yes, small sample size but 6-8 against the NL..I don't think it's a coincidence.

No they can't.  And it's going to get worse.  If they trade Jones, Manny and others, it's only going to get worse.  

They can keep calling up dreck from the minors, give our so called "prospects" a look and focus on a rebuild.  

Nah.  Trading Manny won't hurt one bit.  The team will only get better once they trade him.  He is a terrible shortstop.  As long as they can get someone who can field the team will improve with him gone. 

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Nah.  Trading Manny won't hurt one bit.  The team will only get better once they trade him.  He is a terrible shortstop.  As long as they can get someone who can field the team will improve with him gone. 

Oh...ok.  Yeah, our run starved offense isn't going to miss the guy hitting .300 with 30 homers and close to 60 RBI.

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is no excuse not to shake things up post all star break.  Especially if they start trading away any valuable assets.

I don’t mind watching young players adapt to MLB, but watching the likes of Rasmus. Yuck.

If you are following closely, our valuable assets have kinda jumped beyond their "Best if used by Dates".  We are going to trade Manny and that should help long term, but if that move brings back major league pieces for now...I will just scream...

What else are you considering valuable assets?  Jones has value, Rasmus, Givens. Trumbo has even shown signs of life.

We are not getting major pieces back for them.  Britton, packaged with Manny maybe, but if its Dodgers or someone else with salary cap issues....we would have to pay money to get return.   You simply cannot play this poorly without almost everything being bad.  I mean we are worse off than the 1988 team.  In June...That team lost 21 and won ZERO to start the year.  That team fired it's manager in 6 games.

But at least whatever moves we make are going to be made by people who will not be here to concern themselves with the mess they have made.  Well except Peter and Brady... so.... 

That makes this funny in such a sad way:

10 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm pretty sure Peter Angelos is proud to be the smartest guy in baseball and morally superior to the other owners. Does that count?

Well we do have a remarkable team. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh...ok.  Yeah, our run starved offense isn't going to miss the guy hitting .300 with 30 homers and close to 60 RBI.

We aren't wining games with Manny.  The pitching staff will be better.  They will be throwing  less pitches.  It will be addition by subtraction. If he were playing 3rd his stats would mean something but as a terrible shortstop he is just hurting the team. 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

We aren't wining games with Manny.  The pitching staff will be better.  They will be throwing  less pitches.  It will be addition by subtraction. If he were playing 3rd his stats would mean something but as a terrible shortstop he is just hurting the team. 

We are all frustrated and dejected and subject to bouts of hyperbole....

But in time when over the top for the sake of over the top is in....

This is the nuttiest thing I've seen in a while and I completely agree that Manny should be at third.  

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Ok.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

You know .500 is a lot better than .288 and also the Tigers have lost 9 straight.  I am not sure how the Angels are by any definition are playing worst baseball in majors.

The Angels were playing bad earlier this season when they played the Orioles and got healthy real quick. 

The Orioles seem to be the remedy for many teams playing poorly this year.

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Manny is the 3rd most valuable player on the team right now by WAR.  Bundy and Gausman are slightly higher.   I'd like to see which SS you think running out there would be an improvement over a guy on pace for a 3-4 WAR season.

Now 16 straight losses to AL teams, and 36 days since we last beat an AL team.

A loss Saturday will make us the only team in MLB history to play an entire month of baseball and not beat a team in their league.

And we are 31 back so we have clinched being the first team 30+ games back at the end of June since the 1979 Blue Jays trailed the Orioles by 30.5 at the end of June.

On 6/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, SteveA said:

We last beat an American League team on Friday night, May 25, the Friday before Memorial Day.   34 days ago.

We have lost 15 straight to AL teams (while going 6-8 vs the NL in that stretch).

If we don't beat the Angels tomorrow or Saturday, we will be the first team in MLB history to go winless against their own league for a full calendar month where baseball was played the entire month.

O's go entire month without defeating a AL opponent, amazing.

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

Now 16 straight losses to AL teams, and 36 days since we last beat an AL team.

A loss Saturday will make us the only team in MLB history to play an entire month of baseball and not beat a team in their league. 

And we are 31 back so we have clinched being the first team 30+ games back at the end of June since the 1979 Blue Jays trailed the Orioles by 30.5 at the end of June.

LOL that is astonishing.  You usually have to try to be that bad.

Archived