I’d forgotten how bad it sucks to have a lousy bullpen

Frobby

For the last six years, we’ve enjoyed having a good to great bullpen, depending on the season.  That’s a huge reason we always seemed to win more games than the pundits predicted.   

This year, the bullpen’s been just awful.   7-18 won/lost record, 11 blown saves in 25 chances (56% save rate), 4.38 ERA.   By pretty much any measure, it’s one of the worst four bullpens in the AL.

Just one more reason this team sucks, and is almost unbearable to watch.    And with O’Day and Bleier out for the year, it could get worse from here.   

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t watch was out on boat and saw score 2-0 in 7th.  Though doubt we hold it.  Got home off lake turned on tv saw score scroll acrossed and just laughed.  That is all you can do and say at this point I am at loss words wow bad this team is.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For the last six years, we’ve enjoyed having a good to great bullpen, depending on the season.  That’s a huge reason we always seemed to win more games than the pundits predicted.   

This year, the bullpen’s been just awful.   7-18 won/lost record, 11 blown saves in 25 chances (56% save rate), 4.38 ERA.   By pretty much any measure, it’s one of the worst four bullpens in the AL.

Just one more reason this team sucks, and is almost unbearable to watch.    And with O’Day and Bleier out for the year, it could get worse from here.   

Blown save stat is pretty meaningless as they give you one when you give up the lead in the 7th.   Bullpen is not anywhere as bad as the fielding and offense.   Bleier was pretty awesome.   Castro has been good.  Brach has been alright. It hard to get a save when you never have the lead in the 9th. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And not that they've been dominant, but if Britton and Brach are traded, then...well...

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I didn’t watch was out on boat and saw score 2-0 in 7th.  Though doubt we hold it.  Got home off lake turned on tv saw score scroll acrossed and just laughed.  That is all you can do and say at this point I am at loss words wow bad this team is.

59 losses after half a season. i don't remember the 1988 team record. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Blown save stat is pretty meaningless as they give you one when you give up the lead in the 7th.   Bullpen is not anywhere as bad as the fielding and offense.   Bleier was pretty awesome.   Castro has been good.  Brach has been alright. It hard to get a save when you never have the lead in the 9th. 

Blowing a lead in the 7th isn’t meaningless to me.     For a long time our bullpen was damned near invulnerable if we had the lead after 6.    Now I just wait for them to find a way to lose the lead.    Is it the biggest reason we’re terrible?   Maybe not.   But it’s a substantial reason.    Plus, losing games late is very aggravating to me as a fan. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I barely watch anymore as I mostly listen to Joe Angel call the game while I have another game on tv. The point I'm trying to make is I'm not discounting how bad the bullpen is but how much is a poor defense contributing to the pitcher's era's this season?

For example, look at this "double", just lousy backyard baseball type defense by Valencia. Instead of it being runners on first and second with 2 outs and holding a 2-1 lead - a run scores, there is still one out with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

https://www.mlb.com/video/pujols-game-tying-rbi-double/c-2215999783?tid=6479266

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Blowing a lead in the 7th isn’t meaningless to me.     For a long time our bullpen was damned near invulnerable if we had the lead after 6.    Now I just wait for them to find a way to lose the lead.    Is it the biggest reason we’re terrible?   Maybe not.   But it’s a substantial reason.    Plus, losing games late is very aggravating to me as a fan. 

Meaningless to the save stat.   The guy who is pitching in the 7th isn't getting a save. So when you are comparing saves to blown saves you are providing meaningless info. 

10 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I barely watch anymore as I mostly listen to Joe Angel call the game while I have another game on tv. The point I'm trying to make is I'm not discounting how bad the bullpen is but how much is a poor defense contributing to the pitcher's era's this season?

For example, look at this "double", just lousy backyard baseball type defense by Valencia. Instead of it being runners on first and second with 2 outs and holding a 2-1 lead - a run scores, there is still one out with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Buck was angry when asked about Valencia place.  Said it was to deepest part of ball park. 

23 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I don’t disagree, but if not for Buck and his insistence on playing guys hopelessly out of position they’d be better off. 

Of course, that decision isn’t easy when the majority of starters can’t hit.

Archived