I’d forgotten how bad it sucks to have a lousy bullpen

Frobby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, atomic said:

Blown save stat is pretty meaningless as they give you one when you give up the lead in the 7th.   Bullpen is not anywhere as bad as the fielding and offense.   Bleier was pretty awesome.   Castro has been good.  Brach has been alright. It hard to get a save when you never have the lead in the 9th. 

If Valencia catches that “double” in the 8th inning, Orioles likely win this game.  The defense gives away runs nearly every game. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

For the last six years, we’ve enjoyed having a good to great bullpen, depending on the season.  That’s a huge reason we always seemed to win more games than the pundits predicted.   

This year, the bullpen’s been just awful.   7-18 won/lost record, 11 blown saves in 25 chances (56% save rate), 4.38 ERA.   By pretty much any measure, it’s one of the worst four bullpens in the AL.

Just one more reason this team sucks, and is almost unbearable to watch.    And with O’Day and Bleier out for the year, it could get worse from here.   

I missed the last three innings, but like you I remember not long ago a 2 to 1 lead would have been safe.

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

It must been 2-1 in seventh now I see scoreboard box score but point remains.  The good news I am saving money on cable and beer and all the honey do list are almost done, though I am sure she will add more.

How’s your sinker?

29 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Valencia catches that “double” in the 8th inning, Orioles likely win this game.  The defense gives away runs nearly every game. 

Yes, an actual right fielder would have probably caught the ball that Valencia didn't.

The walks and HBP SUCKED.

But the Tim Beckham double clutch when he wanted to throw home instead of 1st for the FINAL FORCE OUT OF THE INNING was the biggest boneheaded move I've seen in a while.  I couldn't believe what I saw.  It could have been a tie game going to the bottom of the 8th instead of a 4-run deficit.  And all those runs were "earned" even though they shouldn't have scored.

3 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Yes, an actual right fielder would have probably caught the ball that Valencia didn't.

The walks and HBP SUCKED.

But the Tim Beckham double clutch when he wanted to throw home instead of 1st for the FINAL FORCE OUT OF THE INNING was the biggest boneheaded move I've seen in a while.  I couldn't believe what I saw.  It could have been a tie game going to the bottom of the 8th instead of a 4-run deficit.  And all those runs were "earned" even though they shouldn't have scored.

We haven't had one of those in years....

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Buck was angry when asked about Valencia place.  Said it was to deepest part of ball park. 

THAT was the deepest part of the ballpark???  Just to the left of the 373 foot sign in right center?  Really Buck....nothing deeper anywhere in that outfield?  That sign that starts with 4.....that isn't deeper???  I thought Valencia was blind to miss that ball, but Buck may be more blind. 

We used to be the team that won all the close games. Get by with mediocre starters, just get it to the bullpen tied and outlast the other team. This year our starters have actually done a decent job of putting together quality starts but the bullpen has cost us numerous times. Getting to the bullpen tied isn't enough anymore.

I wonder how much of our overall suckiness (including BP) has to do with our horrid defense. 

Thing about defense is: there's NO place for management to hide when it comes to evaluating their choices. 

You can realistically sign a guy who hit .300 and 35 homers last year... and he hits .250 and 15 homers this year and strikes out 8,000 times... and that's on the player. 

But defense? We SIGNED all these defensively mediocre/out-of-place players, ON PURPOSE. 

This was done knowingly. They assembled a ridiculous roster of DHs, reclamation projects, castoffs, one-dimensional players, injury-prone players... 

At this point, I'd say we have precisely ONE (maybe two, if you count Davis) plus defenders on this entire roster, not counting pitchers. That actually disgusts me. 

[EDIT: Just read over the thread... Didn't mean to repeat what so many other folks are saying... but I agree! Our defense sucks, and that is 100% inexcusable.]

4 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I wonder how much of our overall suckiness (including BP) has to do with our horrid defense. 

Thing about defense is: there's NO place for management to hide when it comes to evaluating their choices. 

You can realistically sign a guy who hit .300 and 35 homers last year... and he hits .250 and 15 homers this year and strikes out 8,000 times... and that's on the player. 

But defense? We SIGNED all these defensively mediocre/out-of-place players, ON PURPOSE. 

This was done knowingly. They assembled a ridiculous roster of DHs, reclamation projects, castoffs, one-dimensional players, injury-prone players... 

At this point, I'd say we have precisely ONE (maybe two, if you count Davis) plus defenders on this entire roster, not counting pitchers. That actually disgusts me. 

The bullpen isn’t as good as prior years, but part of it is the defense failing them time and again.  

Valencia and Beckham both had a role in opening the floodgates in the 8th inning today.  It wasn’t just Givens and Scott pitching badly.  

The worst part is this team can’t hit and can’t field.  Get rid of the current squad and bring in some players who can at least field their position.

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The bullpen isn’t as good as prior years, but part of it is the defense failing them time and again.  

Valencia and Beckham both had a role in opening the floodgates in the 8th inning today.  It wasn’t just Givens and Scott pitching badly.  

The worst part is this team can’t hit and can’t field.  Get rid of the current squad and bring in some players who can at least field their position.

This team can't hit. It can't field. But darnit, we can swing real hard.

Archived