Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, Dr. Unk said:

Never thought I'd see someone that I could even fathom mentioning in the same sentence as Brooks.  Too bad the FO hosed this up.

How did they hose this up? I'm firmly convinced he didn't want to stay here. He wants to go big market, big money. Look at his outfit.

I loved Manny's talent the first time I saw it and loved how he enjoyed the game but am not sad to see him go. His ego is getting a little big for me (remember him not hustling with the bases loaded the other day). Sounds like we are getting a great haul for by some metrics the worst fielding short stop in the game ;)

Addition: I mean talking about his ego. He left the game while it was going on?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Made us WIN!

- He and Alomar are neck and neck for best Oriole I've seen.  Alomar was smarter and ran better; Manny has (had :( ) more power.

- Got like no practice at third--which I have mentioned is hard as hell to learn--and became the best defensive player in baseball instantly.

- Prima dona, but I love that prima dona.  Glad he's on our side.  EDIT: was :(

- Just wish he would have stayed at third.  Legendary over there.  Absolutely legendary.  Every single night one to three webgems.  It was sick.

- Slooooow trot after HR against Red Sox.

- Best IF arm I've ever seen.

- High one-handed finish with tremendous extension.  Clearly picked it up from A-Rod.  Their high finishes looked identical by like year 4.

- I've been doing work all day, so it still hasn't hit me.  This one is tough.  I know we had to do it, but Peter shouldn't have pooped his pants 4 years ago.  

- Sorry, but Orioles fans make excuses.  Not saying here--all over.  My brother even.  NY and BOS get things done.  They force it.  They SIGN their stars and others' stars.  Owning an MLB team should be somewhat honorary.  Offer Manny everything but tell him to play third.  

- We sign crap from other teams and we don't extend the best all-around player we ever drafted.

- Been singing Hakuna Machado to myself for years.  What the hell now?

- Harper, Taillon, MACHADO

- I don't get excited over individual players often. 

1) Kill someone three years ago.  Don't MAKE SURE Machado stays long-term.

2) Go on the run for 3 years.  Pussyfoot for three years and get no return.

3) Cops find and swarm you.  This year.

4) You do the only sensible thing and surrender.  Today/Tomorrow's trade.

We need to draft position players.  I want everyday studs.  Buy arms.  Grow some.

I'm going nuts.

Good night.

8 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

This turned out to be the last great moment of our 2012 - Sep. 2017 run of contention. 

That throw is indeed jaw dropping. It makes me think he might have a future as a corner outfielder.

4 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

- He and Alomar are neck and neck for best Oriole I've seen.  Alomar was smarter and ran better; Manny has (had :( ) more power.

Interesting comparison. I think Alomar was a more complete player, as least compared to MM right now. 

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I never quite paid attention until now (hundreds of home run swings helps highlight), but for a righty, Manny has a beautiful swing. 

That’s an awesome video.    His HR swing is very consistent, isn’t it?

This whole thing is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I'm 28 now and it almost felt like my whole Orioles fan life was building to 2012-2016. I was 7 when they lost to the Indians (my 2nd grade teacher was an Indians fan ?). I followed the Miggy teams pretty diligently and then the subsequent rebuild even more so. It all built to 2012 and this current core of players. 

I've never quite experienced this as a sports fan. Baseball is virtually everyday. It's almost like we watch these players grow up (or even grow up with them). I'll be just as sad, if not more so when Jones leaves. But Manny is one of the first dominoes to fall and I really enjoyed this core of players. Almost felt like it was going to last forever, even though I knew it wouldn't. 

I look forward to the coming rebuild and the new faces. But I don't know that it will compare to these guys for me. 

As we wait for the "deal" to unfold, I believe the Orioles will be very well paid for Manny Machado.  Why?  Did you not see those videos?  But it's only 70 games.  Yep that's right.  And the last two years at the deadline?   The team that paid for the best player won the Series.

Anyway, it is truly a sad day.  Manny should have been handed a blank check.  I get all the reasons why it didn't happen and I will not bash the FO for not making it happen.  Just gut wrenching to watch this kid and know that he is going to leave and not return.

No.....I won't believe that.  Calling it now.  

Davis dumped, Trumbo traded, We get a haul for Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach.  (Including getting back International $)

Resign Manny (for 3b) Jones for (RF)

Sign Victor Victor Mesa, 

Spend all available money for international talent.

Brady runs for Prez...Buck retires

Orioles win WS in 2019.

Kool Aid any one?  Bueller?  Bueller?

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

As we wait for the "deal" to unfold, I believe the Orioles will be very well paid for Manny Machado.  Why?  Did you not see those videos?  But it's only 70 games.  Yep that's right.  And the last two years at the deadline?   The team that paid for the best player won the Series.

Anyway, it is truly a sad day.  Manny should have been handed a blank check.  I get all the reasons why it didn't happen and I will not bash the FO for not making it happen.  Just gut wrenching to watch this kid and know that he is going to leave and not return.

No.....I won't believe that.  Calling it now.  

Davis dumped, Trumbo traded, We get a haul for Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach.  (Including getting back International $)

Resign Manny (for 3b) Jones for (RF)

Sign Victor Victor Mesa, 

Spend all available money for international talent.

Brady runs for Prez...Buck retires

Orioles win WS in 2019.

Kool Aid any one?  Bueller?  Bueller?

My God. That's a nice dream. The Davis deal is what really screwed everything I think. Hindsight is 20/20, but just such a costly, costly choice. 

13 hours ago, theocean said:

I really hope Manny spends some of his new contract money on a stylist, because, my god, he has the worst fashion and haircut taste.

"This style choice was, of course, not at all random. Jordan recently told Yahoo Entertainmentthat the hairstyle was meant to be worn by the modern 2018 man. Both Jordan and Black Panther director Ryan Coogler crafted the crop of dreadlocks because it is easily adoptable by fans. “[Coogler is] from Oakland, and I’m from Newark, New Jersey, and I used to have ‘locs,” Jordan said. “So we were trying to figure out what that hairstyle would look like if it evolved. Something that was trendy that dudes would wanna rock once the movie came out." It looks like they nailed it."

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/02/191530/killmonger-michael-b-jordan-hair

I was pretty bummed yesterday, but today I feel some extra Oriole pride for some reason. Even put on my cap to take a walk with my daughter. The cap has seen a lot of shelf time this year. Not from embarrassment, just lack of enthusiasm/pride. 

This is the first part of a new start. The run has been fun, but let's move on. All the best to Manny. Frankly his talents will be far more valuable to a team that isn't rebuilding, and I fear before the Orioles ever get "good" again Manny will be past prime. Who knows. 

It's all going to hit me again if/when Jones is traded, but I'm in acceptance mode with Manny now. 

Archived