Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Interesting comparison. I think Alomar was a more complete player, as least compared to MM right now. 

I remember being so excited that winter of 1995 when I found out we signed Alomar.  For several years, he was an absolute beast for Toronto.  A complete player who was extremely cool under pressure and had most recently hit .480 in the World Series for the 93 Champs.  Joe Carter had the defining moment in Blue Jays history, but Alomar was the face of those ridiculously talented and deep Jays teams which terrorized the Orioles for years. 

As talented as Manny is and as many great things as he did for us, Alomar was on a much different level for me.  He was great at everything. 

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

This whole thing is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I'm 28 now and it almost felt like my whole Orioles fan life was building to 2012-2016. I was 7 when they lost to the Indians (my 2nd grade teacher was an Indians fan ?). I followed the Miggy teams pretty diligently and then the subsequent rebuild even more so. It all built to 2012 and this current core of players. 

I've never quite experienced this as a sports fan. Baseball is virtually everyday. It's almost like we watch these players grow up (or even grow up with them). I'll be just as sad, if not more so when Jones leaves. But Manny is one of the first dominoes to fall and I really enjoyed this core of players. Almost felt like it was going to last forever, even though I knew it wouldn't. 

I look forward to the coming rebuild and the new faces. But I don't know that it will compare to these guys for me. 

Same thing could be said about the 1997 team, the 1983 team, etc. There's always going to be a next crop.

12 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

For sure. But for me, I feel like I grew up with these guys almost. I don't know that it will reach the same level for me. But we'll see. 

I think part of that sentiment is because of the absolute silliness of being lousy for 15 years.  No sports team should ever be that bad for that long.  So the fact that these guys helped to rejuvenate a dead franchise helped us like them even more.  I have said before that the 2012 team was my favorite Orioles team ever. 

9 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

- Made us WIN!

- He and Alomar are neck and neck for best Oriole I've seen.  Alomar was smarter and ran better; Manny has (had :( ) more power.

- Got like no practice at third--which I have mentioned is hard as hell to learn--and became the best defensive player in baseball instantly.

- Prima dona, but I love that prima dona.  Glad he's on our side.  EDIT: was :(

- Just wish he would have stayed at third.  Legendary over there.  Absolutely legendary.  Every single night one to three webgems.  It was sick.

- Slooooow trot after HR against Red Sox.

- Best IF arm I've ever seen.

- High one-handed finish with tremendous extension.  Clearly picked it up from A-Rod.  Their high finishes looked identical by like year 4.

- I've been doing work all day, so it still hasn't hit me.  This one is tough.  I know we had to do it, but Peter shouldn't have pooped his pants 4 years ago.  

- Sorry, but Orioles fans make excuses.  Not saying here--all over.  My brother even.  NY and BOS get things done.  They force it.  They SIGN their stars and others' stars.  Owning an MLB team should be somewhat honorary.  Offer Manny everything but tell him to play third.  

- We sign crap from other teams and we don't extend the best all-around player we ever drafted.

- Been singing Hakuna Machado to myself for years.  What the hell now?

- Harper, Taillon, MACHADO

- I don't get excited over individual players often. 

1) Kill someone three years ago.  Don't MAKE SURE Machado stays long-term.

2) Go on the run for 3 years.  Pussyfoot for three years and get no return.

3) Cops find and swarm you.  This year.

4) You do the only sensible thing and surrender.  Today/Tomorrow's trade.

We need to draft position players.  I want everyday studs.  Buy arms.  Grow some.

I'm going nuts.

Good night.

You think Manny will be traded this week? I'm sorry but I still have my doubts. I have a nagging feeling Angelos will foul up the works.

57 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I remember being so excited that winter of 1995 when I found out we signed Alomar.  For several years, he was an absolute beast for Toronto.  A complete player who was extremely cool under pressure and had most recently hit .480 in the World Series for the 93 Champs.  Joe Carter had the defining moment in Blue Jays history, but Alomar was the face of those ridiculously talented and deep Jays teams which terrorized the Orioles for years. 

As talented as Manny is and as many great things as he did for us, Alomar was on a much different level for me.  He was great at everything. 

They’re very comparable to me.     Both really great players.  Alomar was pretty much done as a productive player after his age 33 season.    Hopefully Manny will have a longer career.     

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re very comparable to me.     Both really great players.  Alomar was pretty much done as a productive player after his age 33 season.    Hopefully Manny will have a longer career.     

I guess time will tell.  Alomar was on talent and accomplishment a no-doubt, first ballot HOF (stubborn writers with a grudge over the spitting incident are the only reason he didn't coast in on the first try) who was one of the best to ever play his position and a 2-time WS champion (who should have been 3-time if not for the awfulness of Armando Benitez).  He had no weaknesses.  You are right about 33, but he started in the bigs at age 20...so that was 14 seasons.  And for most of those, he was truly great. 

52 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I guess time will tell.  Alomar was on talent and accomplishment a no-doubt, first ballot HOF (stubborn writers with a grudge over the spitting incident are the only reason he didn't coast in on the first try) who was one of the best to ever play his position and a 2-time WS champion (who should have been 3-time if not for the awfulness of Armando Benitez).  He had no weaknesses.  You are right about 33, but he started in the bigs at age 20...so that was 14 seasons.  And for most of those, he was truly great. 

Through age 25, in 914 games, Alomar accumulated 29.6 rWAR.   Manny in 860 games has produced 30.9 rWAR.    Very similar production, though their skill sets were somewhat different.    I think Manny is well on his way to being a first ballot Hall of Famer, though you never know how long a player will maintain his skills.   We’ll see.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Through age 25, in 914 games, Alomar accumulated 29.6 rWAR.   Manny in 860 games has produced 30.9 rWAR.    Very similar production, though their skill sets were somewhat different.    I think Manny is well on his way to being a first ballot Hall of Famer, though you never know how long a player will maintain his skills.   We’ll see.

Alomar was the smartest player I can remember, too.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Injuries or PED suspensions are the only things I can really see keeping Manny out of the HOF.

If he stays healthy and clean, he'll produce enough. 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:13 AM, Frobby said:

“Don’t throw it away....don’t throw it at all!!! “     It would have been an incredibly  heady play for a veteran player, and almost inconceivable for a 19-year old with a month of major league experience.    And, I was there, along with a couple dozen Hangouters.    Unbelievable.     

I’m really going to miss watching him play.    He’s a very special athlete.   

That was my favorite baseball game I've ever attended.  It was really something, in a year full of unbelievable stuff.

Manny's great.  I'll miss him a lot.  Very glad the Dodgers got him instead of the Yanks or Sox.

Archived