Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Orioles1954 said:

This is just further proof that if the Orioles and Team B are interested in the same player(s) that Team B always wins.

We got the man we wanted with Chris Davis, Andrew Cashner, Chris Tillman, Ubaldo Jiminez, Yovani Gallardo ...

so our money spends, sometimes.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

I would love to revisit this thread in 3 or 4 years to see if any of them turned out to be even a replacement level player.

Might have to wait longer than that, especially for VM Jr.

When Jack Zoellner hits the walkoff home run in the pennant clinching game for the Orioles, you can be sure Patrick will bump this thread.   

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

You don’t know Jack...he is truly a “rare” talent. ?

Most but not all, of the point here was that the Orioles were involved. Of course as such we wanted them to land the players even if they were not great finds. In fairness for the price, replacement level would still be a tremendous bargain. But for the Orioles that was never the point. Leveraging the funds to add talent on top of the modest return for Gausman was and is important. Failing to land them makes that deal much less valuable regardless of cash saved. 

At the end of the day in clearing house these points are almost irrelevant. The new team is starting in the basement and building up. And that must be the focus from here forward. 

Jack would not be last in Oriole history in alphabetical order, George Zuverink would retain that distinction.

While I was driving around an hour or two ago, Terry Ford on 105.7 reported that the Orioles and Rays were the frontrunners for Gaston.   I don't think he gave a source, or, if he did, I missed it because I was doing something silly like pay attention to the road.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

While I was driving around an hour or two ago, Terry Ford on 105.7 reported that the Orioles and Rays were the frontrunners for Gaston.   I don't think he gave a source, or, if he did, I missed it because I was doing something silly like pay attention to the road.

The Orioles and Rays have the most pool money remaining.

There are way too many posts on this subject and I'm not gonna read them all so I don't know how original this comment is, but I'm glad we won't be getting VVM. Theoretically at least, assuming we'll ever hire someone who'll spend all this money. 

No one seems to think VVM is a game changer, he's just close to ML ready. I've seen him projected as "Jon Jay-like". Definitely a good player to have on a contender but we're not gonna be a contender for most of the time we'd have him. I'd much rather we spend that money on contracts for every high ceiling 16 year old we can. And then spend more money revamping our development system so they actually have a chance to hit those ceilings.

Archived