I think we just saw the passing of the torch

Moose Milligan

With these past two weeks, I think we have witnessed the passing of the torch from Peter Angelos to John.  Bringing Brooks in as a goodwill ambassador and advisor, the Machado trade (and hopefully trades to come) the announcement that this FO is going in a more analytics based approach with a focus on the international market...these are all very positive things and things that I don't think would happen under Peter.  

Now of course the Orioles have to act on it, they actually need to walk the talk here.  I think John isn't going to mess around and let things slip.  That is my hope, anyway.  

There's reason for optimism in Birdland, the past 24 hours have shown it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the Orioles do on these fronts and how the plan unfolds.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Paging @Moose Milligan I think your account may have been hacked.   This is too upbeat for one of your takes. ?

Well, I like to think I call things like I see it.  Quite frankly there hasn't been much to be excited or positive about since...well, about this time last year where we were fooling ourselves into thinking we were a playoff contender.  The offseason was terrible, the start of the season was terrible with terrible performances from players outside of Manny and Jones and a few others.  There hasn't been much to be upbeat about.

Provided they actually get into the international market, provided they actually get into analytics and forward thinking measures, this is something to be happy about.  

Will believe it when I see it i.e. when we actually spend legit money on the international front.

We're also so far behind the competition, just getting even remotely close to their level will take years and serious dollars.

Look, the Dodgers just acquired a generational talent - albeit a rental - and didn't even put a dent in their farm system. We are so far behind it is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What do they do with Buck Showalter. I don't see him as a fit for an organization that is going to commit to analytics. Buck is a hunch manager

This is his last year under contract.  Just don't offer him another contract.

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What do they do with Buck Showalter. I don't see him as a fit for an organization that is going to commit to analytics. Buck is a hunch manager

I would be on board with bringing in another voice - perhaps Mike Matheny after the dark cloud of the Cardinals shenanigans is gone.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's what I would do, what are the new recipients of the torch planning? Also is Bradys roll going to be defined.

Brady was my favorite player growing up... but now he can go pound sand for all I care.

43 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Brady was my favorite player growing up... but now he can go pound sand for all I care.

I am wondering if DD and Buck don't have contracts to all the sons to set up the FO the way they want. This could have been the plan all along. I am wondering if they have made the decision to bring back DD in a higher role such as President? He seemed very invested in the future while describing the changes. I am not sure why (unless instructed to do so) he would offer all the info he did if he is gone at the end of the year. He has always struck me as an innovative guy who wants to use analytics more and he certainly is a guy who believes in the international market. Maybe the promote him and bring in a GM. Also, I think Brady can be very helpful to the club, given the right parameters. He is one of the few forward thinkers in the organization and has done a good job (IMHO) in the training and nutrition areas. I was very encouraged to hear what DD had to say in Roch's blog.

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

Did everyone notice Duquette last night said trading veterans when talking about their rebuild? Not just free agents. VETERANS !

Will they move Gausman? Schoop? Trumbo ? Valencia? Givens? Beckham ? in deals?

Doubt it sans maybe Valencia & Trumbo. 

Archived