The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

His value is significant with 2 years of control remaining and his premium stuff (some teams see a greater upside). I think his value is at least on par with Sonny Gray last year. Gray returned 3 top 100 prospects (although two were injured at the time). 

Since the Orioles have announced a rebuild, I think it's smart to move controllable pieces if they have significant value. There isn't much in the way of available controllable starters, especially if the Mets don't decide to move one of their elite starters.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering what the Padres just got for Hand I'm inclined to agree with you. Partly because I don't ever think Gausman will take that "next step". That said, I still think the Orioles are too concerned about their 2019 rotation to trade him...and they really shouldn't be. Maybe Dan will prove us wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

His value is significant with 2 years of control remaining and his premium stuff (some teams see a greater upside). I think his value is at least on par with Sonny Gray last year. Gray returned 3 top 100 prospects (although two were injured at the time). 

Since the Orioles have announced a rebuild, I think it's smart to move controllable pieces if they have significant value. There isn't much in the way of available controllable starters, especially if the Mets don't decide to move one of their elite starters.

I agree with the thought, but I would actually prefer to trade Bundy. I think Bundy brings back a better return, and I trust Gausman's durability a lot more.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

I agree with the thought, but I would actually prefer to trade Bundy. I think Bundy brings back a better return, and I trust Gausman's durability a lot more.

I hear you, but I think other organizations also trust Gausman's durability, Bundy's medicals are scary, that would hurt the return.

Gray was 7 games over .500, had a 3.61 FIP and was 26 years old prior to the trade.

Gausman is 9 games under .500, has a 4.14 FIP and is 27 years old.

All signs point to Gausman getting a lower return than the A's got for Gray

I would still see who we could get but I'm not certain it would be enough to justify it.

1 minute ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Gray was 7 games over .500, had a 3.61 FIP and was 26 years old prior to the trade.

I would still see who we could get but I'm not certain it would be enough to justify it.

Until you remember Gray was coming off of an injury at the time of the trade and hasn't been nearly as good as he was before the injury.

5 minutes ago, theobird said:

Bundy potentially brings a better return because he has an extra year of team control, but he still has the upside to be an All-Star which could be a difference maker if we are competing in three years (or if he makes the leap he could improve his trade value in a way Gausman can't). Plus Bundy's trade value is hurt by durability concerns in a way that Gausman's isn't. Gausman is who he is, a mid-rotation starter. Bundy could still be more.

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Considering what the Padres just got for Hand I'm inclined to agree with you. Partly because I don't ever think Gausman will take that "next step". That said, I still think the Orioles are too concerned about their 2019 rotation to trade him...and they really shouldn't be. Maybe Dan will prove us wrong. 

I just think we're too far into the season to move Gausman. Deadline is coming up and unless someone comes out super aggressive for him he'd be more of an offseason trade guy if we were to move him.

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yup I agree I think we've seen Gausman's ceiling, But I don''t think it will bring back a Gray like return?

3 minutes ago, Nite said:

Until you remember Gray was coming off of an injury at the time of the trade and hasn't been nearly as good as he was before the injury.

Gray also didn’t pitch in the East and pitched in a canyon of a ballpark 

4 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

I agree that Gray was more attractive than Gausman is now.   Would I listen to offers?    You betcha.

Archived