The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Gray is currently 28 he was traded July 31st 2017 it is now July 19th 2018 less then a year from the trade and he had two birthdays in less then a year.  Please tell me how in the world that happened

If this were Germany, it would be only one birthday in that time span.  But we live in the US, so Gray has celebrated two birthdays in less than a year.

I wouldn't be looking to trade young, controllable pitching.  At least not yet.  They have enough chips to move between now and 7/31 to take up their focus.  I wouldn't look to move Gausman until the offseason prior to him hitting FA, possibly the trade deadline of the season before.  Shoot, he's still has a chance to take the next step, especially if we have young players playing better defense next year.  Yes, we should rebuild, but I also think we should focus on 2019 and trying to have a good rotation and defense.  That'll at least (hopefully) keep the team somewhat respectable (and watchable).  If anything, I'd look to move Cobb and Cashner this offseason before Gausman and Bundy.  Not as much value, but older and more expensive.

I agree with those who believe we have seen Gausman's ceiling.  He just doesn't get the K's that someone with his stuff seemingly should.  I think we should trade him now as he has had decent success, durability, and still has the "potential" card.  This is probably the highest his value will be, and we are not likely to be competitive before he hits free agency.

I would not trade Bundy, I think he has another level he has yet to reach.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought Colorado might have some interest in Trumbo as a 1B. Maybe Gausman could convince them to take Trumbo's contract.

Fortunately, Trumbo only has one more year.   I don't think I'd want to drag down Gausman's value by teeming him with Trumbo in a deal.

I'd offer Gausman to the Yankees. They are rumored to be interested in Hamels and Happ who are said to be high price rentals. The yanks might be willing to justify paying a high price for a guy with three years of control. Luke said Oakland and that'd be a good win now and build for the future move for them. 

55 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would be fully on board with anyone being dealt.    Gausman seems like an ideal guy to look into dealing right now.   Let someone make you the "I can't refuse it" offer.

That is my thinking.  

I don’t know if it is Gausman or the organization, but he should be a number one type starter with his arm.  

Archived