The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TonySoprano said:

No he will be at 4 years at the start of 2019, 5th year to begin 2020. If his first arbitration season is 2019, his third is 2021. 

Gausman's second arbitration season was this year. He was a Super-2 last year. He is a free agent after 2020.

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

No he will be at 4 years at the start of 2019, 5th year to begin 2020. If his first arbitration season is 2019, his third is 2021. Again, that’s what is listed. 

At the start of 2019 he will be at 4 years, 151 days. By the end of 2019 he will be over 5 years. By the end of 2020 he will be over 6 years. Hence, free agency at the end of 2020.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d get rid of anyone that won’t be here for 2021. We’re going to lose. At least we should have players developing in the minors that will be here in 2021. 

Why are we assuming they can't extend or resign Gausman though?  Durable 180+ inning starters  with 4.14 career FIP are good things.  Shouldn't they explore possibility of extending him before trading him? 

Do you really think the O's are going to be able to acquire or develop 5 SP that are better than him in the next 5 years?

24 minutes ago, esmd said:

I didn't say competitive.  Competitive to me means a team that wins as much or more than it loses.  I said respectable/watchable, lol.  Like, hey we only lost 90 instead of 115.  I just they have bigger fish to fry over the next 11 days than Gausman, and I think his value should stay comparable to what it is now into 2020.  Pretty sure he's a FA after 2021.  So there's a risk he could get hurt or blow up, but I think it's just as likely that he performs as he has or even gets better.  They need somebody to pitch, you can't trade everyone.

Can we clone David Hess?

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Thanks. I guess their website is wrong. 

For whatever reason they refer to free agent year as the first season where the player has agency of where he can play, not the last season where he doesn't. It has led to this kind of confusion before, the other way makes more sense to me too.

11 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Why are we assuming they can't extend or resign Gausman though?  Durable 180+ inning starters  with 4.14 career FIP are good things.  Shouldn't they explore possibility of extending him before trading him? 

Do you really think the O's are going to be able to acquire or develop 5 SP that are better than him in the next 5 years?

So we have to hang onto for 2-3 years while we lose. Then extend him to 6/90?  Probably more by that point. 

We’re the worst team in baseball with one of the worst farm systems. We can all hope for some magical run but we should hang prepare for trying to win in 2021. Prospects are lottery tickets. I want as many lottery tickets for 2021 as possible. 

Gausman and Bundy are in their prime and we’re the the worst team in baseball. What good are they doing?

We need to acquire 2021 assets. 

2 hours ago, theobird said:

I agree with the thought, but I would actually prefer to trade Bundy. I think Bundy brings back a better return, and I trust Gausman's durability a lot more.

I agree with the thought too, and I'd trade both of em. They'll be gone when we're good.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we have to hang onto for 2-3 years while we lose. Then extend him to 6/90?  Probably more by that point. 

We’re the worst team in baseball with one of the worst farm systems. We can all hope for some magical run but we should hang prepare for trying to win in 2021. Prospects are lottery tickets. I want as many lottery tickets for 2021 as possible. 

Gausman and Bundy are in their prime and we’re the the worst team in baseball. What good are they doing?

We need to acquire 2021 assets. 

I am not hoping for a magical run, I'm suggesting that Kevin Gausman will be a viable asset in 2021 and worth keeping around. 

I am suggesting that if you think they are going to draft, develop or otherwise acquire 5 MLB Quality Starting Pitchers in 2021 who will be better than Kevin Gausman you are wrong.

I am on board with trading pretty much every single person on their 25 man roster except guys  with <2 years of service time.  But I'd prefer they keep Gausman and Bundy.  This organization's track record of developing effective starting pitching doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, and it seems a bit foolish to dump these two.

If they get a Cole Hamels or Sonny Gray return for those guys, ok sure do it.  But I just don't see that happening.   Short of those types of offers, keep em.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can we clone David Hess?

Hey, it works with sheep.  I think Bundy, Gausman, and Hess are penciled in for '19.  Cobb and Cashner probably won't be traded, but maybe they surprise us.  I'd be okay with it at this point.  I dunno what to make of Hunter Harvey as of now.

2 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I am not hoping for a magical run, I'm suggesting that Kevin Gausman will be a viable asset in 2021 and worth keeping around. 

I am suggesting that if you think they are going to draft, develop or otherwise acquire 5 MLB Quality Starting Pitchers in 2021 who will be better than Kevin Gausman you are wrong.

I am on board with trading pretty much every single person on their 25 man roster except guys  with <2 years of service time.  But I'd prefer they keep Gausman and Bundy.  This organization's track record of developing effective starting pitching doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, and it seems a bit foolish to dump these two.

If they get a Cole Hamels or Sonny Gray return for those guys, ok sure do it.  But I just don't see that happening.   Short of those types of offers, keep em.

Pretty much my thinking.

I don't know if they "should" trade him unless they get something viable in return.  They may want to look at extending him too.  They need to field a competitive team the next couple of years even if they still are the worst team in the East.  I don't expect them to compete for a title, but 70 wins should at least be a bench mark to shoot for even during the next few years which could be brutal.  They should only trade the guy, if it makes sense and they can get something in return for him. 

Archived