Schoop: Extend or Trade

Dipper9

What should we do with Schoop?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Schoop?

• Extend him.
    • Trade him.
    • Wait until next year's deadline when his value may be higher.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What position do you see him playing 4-6 years from now? He has negative defense value at 2B as it is.

3b is his likely position in the future. We don't have future 3B on the farm and won't go after premiere free agent talent. I wouldn't give Schoop more than a 15 million AAV. He will still have bat speed, arm, and his range fits better at the hot corner.

Still, a potential 30hr, solid defense third baseman would go a long way in future windows. 

Worst case scenario if third base doesn't pan out is first base since Davis will be gone in 4 years.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Thato'sfan said:

3b is his likely position in the future. We don't have future 3B on the farm and won't go after premiere free agent talent. I wouldn't give Schoop more than a 15 million AAV. He will still have bat speed, arm, and his range fits better at the hot corner.

Still, a potential 30hr, solid defense third baseman would go a long way in future windows. 

Worst case scenario if third base doesn't pan out is first base since Davis will be gone in 4 years.

He has the arm to play third, but in limited opportunities he hasn't looked good there. I would like to see it first before committing $40-50M, especially because his bat isn't a sure thing either, and we don't know whether we will be good again during the timeframe of a Schoop extension. I think he is more valuable to us as a trade piece but needs a good year to re-establish is value.

I agree, he is valuable trade piece.

But right now, we might have an opportunity for him to resign with us at a reasonable rate.

If we fully tear down and he is hitting well, the extra years of control on his extension increase his trade value significantly. 

On his third base defense, I'd give him at least a full year there before saying he can't pick it at the hot corner.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has the arm to play third, but in limited opportunities he hasn't looked good there. I would like to see it first before committing $40-50M, especially because his bat isn't a sure thing either, and we don't know whether we will be good again during the timeframe of a Schoop extension. I think he is more valuable to us as a trade piece but needs a good year to re-establish is value.

This is my concern as well.  Who's to say if we extend him, that in 2 years we aren't sitting here with another Davis on our hands who is not hitting and taking up money.

If we're going full rebuild, then I trade him now if a deal is available, or next year if he is able to increase his value.  

I think it's crazy to extend him ... I think last year was more like Chris Davis's best year and he's more like Davis (sort of fool's gold, if you will) and if we extend him we will all be waiting with baited breath for him to regain what we saw from him last year, only to realize everyone is all upset that he never regained his form and is actually not all that good and now we have too much money wasted on him (and Davis) to add the pieces we need to become a serious contender when all of this youth starts to develop from our "re-build" that we are setting up for right now ...

I hope I am wrong, but Schoop is not Machado ... there is a clear difference there, and everyone is currently hoping that Schoop will be something of a cornerstone for this team (even if he's 75% of a Machado type player) and I don't think he is that kind of player ... like I said, I hope I am wrong, but I would shop him now and if anyone is desperate for a 2B solution this season and offers a prospect that has any promise that is young (not a huge fan of 23 - 24 year old prospects at this point, because we need young guys, not guys that should have already made a big league club or should at least be on the cusp of making a big league club ... 

I'm being lazy this morning, so there is more to my point of view, but I'm going to leave some holes in my points because I am hoping that this is enough of an explanation to get the gist of what I'm saying without having to write a novel for you all ... haha ... I mean, this post is already enough to be considered a prologue ...

Right. I understand the concern. 

That being said, I wouldn't extend Schoop at a salary as high as Chris Davis'.

Chris Davis is on pace for the worst season ever, I don't think we will have another Davis. Schoop has a less uppercut swing so I don't think he would ever be as bad.

A Schoop extension is a worthwhile risk. If he rebuilds his value as a rental, we won't get as much in return. An extension gives the organization more options.

If he forgets how to hit, we have Trumbo coming off the books, Cashner's contract is moveable, Jones is coming off the books, Britton is coming off the books.

The time to extend Schoop is now. We have a lot of upcoming financial flexibility. If he asks for an absurd amount of money, I wouldn't extend him.

7 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

I agree, he is valuable trade piece.

But right now, we might have an opportunity for him to resign with us at a reasonable rate.

If we fully tear down and he is hitting well, the extra years of control on his extension increase his trade value significantly. 

On his third base defense, I'd give him at least a full year there before saying he can't pick it at the hot corner.

I don't think this fan base believes in giving someone a full year to show what they can do at a new position ... I feel like I recently saw the fan base be a lot less patient than that with one of our players, but I can't quite remember who that was ...

Just now, OrioleMagic79 said:

I don't think this fan base believes in giving someone a full year to show what they can do at a new position ... I feel like I recently saw the fan base be a lot less patient than that with one of our players, but I can't quite remember who that was ...

Huh...I can't remember either...probably some scrub...?

Good thing the fan base doesn't make a ll of the decisions...

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Have you learned nothing!

A lot of people wondered why the Padres would, in rebuild mode, extend Brad Hand.

Well they are still in rebuild mode and that extension just netted them a top prospect.

Extend Schoop and if you need to trade him in a year you do it.

Extending a very good reliever is a little less risky than extending a guy coming off a career year that's struggling and will likely need to be moved off his current position in a couple of years.    Especially when it will likely cost you more money to do so.

I say trade him. His value is lower now but if he continues to play at this level then it will only continue to trend downwards. Of course, if he is interested in a team friendly extension then you go that route but you just don't see that very often. The whole Fanfest thing really got under my skin too so I'm not particularly enamored with his decision making skills. My vote, if it was available, would be trade him in the offseason. Let's see if he can get hot to close the season and get his value up.

3 hours ago, utvolzac said:

Hard to say without knowing what’s being offered.

I guess I’d try to extend him at a team friendly salary for a couple years hoping he’ll reestablish value. Then trade him if his value goes up.

Now that Manny is gone, there’s really no point in keeping Schoop as I think we are 3-5 years away from contending.

If it were me, I would have made a sign/trade decision on Manny 1-2 seasons ago, so it would have been a no brainer to sell high on Schoop coming off his career year.

If we are 5 or more years away from contending there is no point in keeping Diaz, he will be 27 and will be facing free agency by the time we contend again.

Trade now or in the offseason. Teams will think this year is aberrational - and it sort of is - but if he's off to a slow start next year his value is in the toilet. I think we'd still get a solid return for him now.

Don't think Schoop would extend after we shipped off his BFF. Also Manny probably got in Schoop's head, inflating his sense of worth. Good luck extending him for any type of reasonable money. Also career .296 OBP. Sick to death of hackers with awful approaches.

He got hurt. His play has been affected dramatically since it happened. He isn't going to sign an extension under these circumstances. The Orioles wouldn't sign him to an early extension....ever....anyway (especially a guy with "medical issues"). All of this leads to.....absolutely nothing happening. The Oriole way.

23 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Have you learned nothing!

A lot of people wondered why the Padres would, in rebuild mode, extend Brad Hand.

Well they are still in rebuild mode and that extension just netted them a top prospect.

Extend Schoop and if you need to trade him in a year you do it.

Yes exactly. Could do the same with Bundy/Gausman if they were up for it. 

Archived