Finding a market for Valencia

ScGO's

37 minutes ago, weams said:

So your unfortunate take is that he would pass through waivers unclaimed? 

I'm not sure why anyone chooses to engage him in a conversation. 

I think Valencia would have some interest of other play off caliber teams though. Maybe net a future utility guy from somewhere.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not sure why anyone chooses to engage him in a conversation. 

I think Valencia would have some interest of other play off caliber teams though. Maybe net a future utility guy from somewhere.

I think that Valencia would bring back something of value that would not need to be on the 40 man roster. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Valencia is below replacement level.   I don't think he has any trade value.   If the Orioles DFA him I would expect his only chance would be with another team out of the playoff picture. Players like Valencia are why we are the worst team in baseball.   I don't see a team with a chance for the playoffs letting him play for them.  Even for cash considerations.  

This is a crazy take on it.  Valencia has been a top 100 offensive player this year.  He certainly does not bring a good glove, and I don't think you get anything better than an organization's 15th best prospect, but he has value.

I think he will have a bigger market near the waiver trade deadline. Rosters expand the next day at which point teams will have a lot more flexibility to carry a lefty masher with no position. He could be a nice luxury but not really an upgrade at 3B or OF for any of the contenders. I doubt we get more than a D prospect back.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:53 AM, Morgan423 said:

Because he has been used in the field and has played a lot.  But the fact remains that even though he's a one trick pony, he's still been good at his one trick, hitting lefties.  If we can find a team that needs a platoon DH against lefties, then Valencia would have value to them. 

Would I expect a ton back?  Of course not. But we should be able to get something minor back.

I think it would be pretty minor. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, atomic said:

Valencia is below replacement level.   I don't think he has any trade value.   If the Orioles DFA him I would expect his only chance would be with another team out of the playoff picture. Players like Valencia are why we are the worst team in baseball.   I don't see a team with a chance for the playoffs letting him play for them.  Even for cash considerations.  

He's below replacement level because he has been misused.  There's value in a player that can mash lefties. He's not a third baseman nor an outfielder.  He has value as a DH, 1B, or PH. 

Archived