What is the Orioles projected payroll next year?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

It depends on who is counting and what you believe  the O's will do.

Davis 23m

Cobb 14m

Trumbo 9m (Traded next July)

O'Day 6m (Traded next July)

Cashner 7m (Traded next July)

That is 58m committed for 5 players

Arbtration

Schoop 11m

Gausman 9m

Beckham 5m

Bundy 5m

Givens 2m

Arbitration Total 32m 5 players

Arb and current contracts  90m for 10 players

555k times 15 players  8.325m

Plus 1/3 of three players to replace the ones traded  = .555m

Total 2019 payroll  98.88m

So, somewhere around 100m

I could see the O's trading Cashner in the offseason if they get something good.  I think the O's are stuck with Cobb until he starts pitching better.  I would be surprised if the O's sign any players other than a stopgap shortstop/3B and a couple of relievers in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

Offer Manny 8/240 with an opt out after the 4th year. I hate opt outs. Even an old dog can learn a few new tricks.

Better yet, let some other team offer him a big contact with an opt out after 3/4 years, go through the rebuilding process without paying him $90mm/$120mm, then sign him when he opts out.     The only problem with that is then you’ll be paying for his decline years.

I’ve pretty much abandoned the idea of seeing Manny in an Oriole uniform again.     Just build a good team and wait for our next Manny to come along.     

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Better yet, let some other team offer him a big contact with an opt out after 3/4 years, go through the rebuilding process without paying him $90mm/$120mm, then sign him when he opts out.     The only problem with that is then you’ll be paying for his decline years.

I’ve pretty much abandoned the idea of seeing Manny in an Oriole uniform again.     Just build a good team and wait for our next Manny to come along.     

Maybe in the draft.

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t see any reason to pay Beckham $5m

That seems to be a reasonable guess on his arb amount.  He made $3.35 million this year.  Are you thinking he'll be non-tendered?

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

That seems to be a reasonable guess on his arb amount.  He made $3.35 million this year.  Are you thinking he'll be non-tendered?

I would be tempted to cut bait. The book is pretty much written on him. We gave up more than we should for him, but it still wasn't that much. Why throw good money after bad?

6 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I was thinking about trading Trumbo and Gausman. Sorry if I didn't seem clear about that.

Trading Trumbo almost certainly will require us taking part of his salary, anywhere from 1/3-1/2 of it.  And honestly, unless he is back to his 2016 level, I really don't see a market for him with that price tag because power hitters are everywhere now with launch angle.  

33 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Trading Trumbo almost certainly will require us taking part of his salary, anywhere from 1/3-1/2 of it.  And honestly, unless he is back to his 2016 level, I really don't see a market for him with that price tag because power hitters are everywhere now with launch angle.  

I think Trumbo might be traded at the 2019 deadline with 4.5m left on his contract.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t see any reason to pay Beckham $5m

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I would be tempted to cut bait. The book is pretty much written on him. We gave up more than we should for him, but it still wasn't that much. Why throw good money after bad?

I’d say wait and see how the rest of his season goes.    He played through an abdominal injury for a while, then missed a lot of time.   Was playing an unfamiliar position, then abruptly switched back.   He’s only played 45 games, and there are 63 to go.    Still time for him to right the ship.    No doubt it’s been listing badly and in danger of going under.   

Archived